EBF….+3 Solid Meals A Day Now????

tattlebaby

Reaction score
So LO is now almost 9 months old. She's been EBF since birth and has been on various pureed (Veggies/Fruits) which I have been making for her and feeding her only once a day from a 2 ounce container. Should she be eating more than this..if so how much more? I keep reading that babies should continue to be BF until 12 months of age, but at this stage begin adding 3 meals a day to their daily feeding schedules. My MAJOR QUESTION is..what to feed LO in addition to her breast milk??, besides the organic fruits and veggies that we've been doing. I keep reading about giving "Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner"..but what should this consist of and how much of each should I be giving her?

TIA

From 6 months I started feeding my daughter almost everything and from about 9 months she pretty much just ate what I ate! She will appreciate more than bm and fruits/veggies.

She can have anything except whole nuts and honey. I'm veggie so my daughter doesn't have meat but if you eat meat it's a perfect time to introduce her to meat. I've heard it said that the more you can expose your baby too before the age of 1 the better as the less fussy they are and the more they try the better. I've given mine all sorts - veggie sushi, Brie cheese, bit of mince pie, stollen (you can tell its christmas lol)

I did baby led weaning so nothing is mushed or puréed, my baby's first food was pear cored and cut into fingers. I know you've done purées but at 9 months definitely time to move onto finger foods! Maybe try breadsticks, toast, rice cakes and see where you go from there!!

Thank you so much. Yes I've figured it was time to move on more wholesome foods in their natural state. However, I think its more of a safety concern for me and for DH's parents. Lol

We weaned from 5 months and right from the start did a mix of purees and finger foods.

Just give LO some of what you have. Doing finger foods is a good way of putting LO in control of how much they want to eat . By 9 months M was on 3 meals a day plus snacks and his formula.

My LO was EBF and is now eating three meals a day with a handful of breastfeeds throughout the day. He's quite a picky eater but will normally eat: porridge, fruit puree or a chopped banana for breakfast, grilled cheese on toast (the toast is always cut into little soldiers that he can hold and chew on), cream cheese or houmous on toast or breadsticks, cucumber sticks or soup for lunch and a mixture of things like cheese sticks, chicken pieces, salmon pieces, scrambled egg, cucumber sticks, roast dinner and cottage pie (although he normally throws most of the roast/cottage pie on the floor) followed by a dessert such as yogurt and grapes cut up or fruit cocktail (pureed).

My LO was EBF and is now eating three meals a day with a handful of breastfeeds throughout the day. He's quite a picky eater but will normally eat: porridge, fruit puree or a chopped banana for breakfast, grilled cheese on toast (the toast is always cut into little soldiers that he can hold and chew on), cream cheese or houmous on toast or breadsticks, cucumber sticks or soup for lunch and a mixture of things like cheese sticks, chicken pieces, salmon pieces, scrambled egg, cucumber sticks, roast dinner and cottage pie (although he normally throws most of the roast/cottage pie on the floor) followed by a dessert such as yogurt and grapes cut up or fruit cocktail (pureed).

That's a good variety of food, it's not picky eating at all. Remember that it's normal for kids this age to eat very little, maybe a few bites at a time.

Every baby adjusts to solids differently. Unless it's causing malnutrition, I say to follow the baby's lead. Try getting some iron rich things in there though because breastfed babies don't get iron through the breastmilk and this can lead to anemia. Some good iron rich foods are liver and other meats. If you slice the meats into tiny pieces, they can handle them and they digest a lot better than iron rich vegetables. If you're more into BLW, then liver or patties of ground beef could be a good choice, otherwise, your baby might not have the fine motor skills to pick up tiny pieces of meat. Violet developed the pincer grasp around 9 months old, but some don't get it until about a year. We didn't do BLW, but we didn't do purees either.

By 9 months da was eating what we ate (at 8 months he refused to let me feed him with a spoon anymore!)
For breakfast he loves toast sticks with fruit spread, left over fruit purees, or apple butter. He also loves mini waffles or mini pancakes. And I also give him cut up fruit (mangos, strawberries, blackberries, bananas etc)
For lunch he likea yogurt (the one thing he will let me feed him) or cheese stick with a cereal bar or grapes
Snack is either applesauce or any of those purees that come in pouches that he can suck from, or cheerios/gold fish/grahm crackers
Then dinner is what we eat, some kind of meat and veggies
Only things he doesn't have yet per Dr is peanut butter, fish, or eggs
Hope that helps with ideas!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back