• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

EBF and pacifiers?

1nceUponATime

Reaction score
My daughter is just over 3 weeks, going on 4 weeks old.... and she uses me as a pacifier a lot when she's fussy/has gas/after breast feeding etc etc. I know she's not hungry because when my milk starts to flow she gets angry and unlatches herself and cries.... anyway, everything I've read says don't offer any artificial nipples until well past 4 weeks, but sometimes at night when she's done breast feeding I feel like she could benefit from the pacifier use... because it takes my DH and I over an hour to rock her back to sleep and she's so fussy trying to suck on her hands and arm. I guess my question is has anyone used a pacifier before 4 weeks and not had negative consequences? Meaning using one didn't diminish milk supply or cause nipple confusion? Any advice?

My first never really had a dummy but I gave my second baby a dummy from birth. He's always been great at being able to switch between breast and artificial teats though. Some babies just reject it. It is worth a try but maybe just don't over use it as I know my son did go through a brief spell where he preferred using a dummy to feeding, although he was still able to latch when he wanted to :)

it definitely wouldn't be an all the time thing more like a middle of the night thing...during the day I am mostly just sitting around w her anyway so I can be her pacifier sometimes but the middle of the night I am so tired And afraid to fall asleep w her in bed so I don't feel comfortable laying there while she just sucks without actually breast feeding.

I'd try it. I waited with my first two until recommended age and they wouldn't take the pacifier at all. I introduced it to this baby at a couple weeks old and it has helped me so much. We have had no issues switching back and forth.. She didn't have any confusion. We mostly use it at night too :)

I gave my little man one at 2/3 weeks no problems. He only gets it at nap or sleep time or if really fussy doesn't look for it any other time.

I tried to give my LO a pacifier from birth but she wanted nothing to do with it. Tried it for over a month and she just never took to it at all. I'd try it but don't be surprised if she doesn't take it (I didn't realize how common this was until I experienced it myself!).

Sophie had a dummy from birth and we had no issues. I tried to use dummies with Thomas and recently with Emma and neither liked them
Emma is a real sucky baby and only likes the breast.

I tried them and she wouldn't take one :( she kinda opened her mouth super wide and made a really funny face and looked at me like what the heck is this you are shoving in my mouth - haha. I'll keep trying but only when she's super fussy... I don't want to force her. But I also don't want to be used as a pacifier lol although part of me likes the fact she prefers me to the plastic haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->