EBM feeds are huge!

Lizzybee

Mom to 1, StepMum to 1
Reaction score
So I went away for 1 night. I had almost 80oz in the freezer. Each pump I was averaging 4.5oz.( feeding from one while pumping from the other). So I thought this was how much he took per feed. But OH reports that LO was drinking between 8 and 10oz every 3-4 hours. He usually only wants one breast not both.
I've noticed he chews his hands and thought this was him teething/ just investigating but is he still really hungry? OH took this to mean hungry and fed him more. He didn't spit up or vomit any milk back.
I'm shocked at how much he drank in 24 hours. Anyone else found this happen to them?

How much you pump in a session has NOTHING to do with how much they eat per session. Breast pumps will never be as effective at pulling milk from the breast. He very well could have been hungry :)

That sounds like way too much, is your lo at the age where he chews his hands all the time? It is really unlikely that he is eating that much from you, ebf babies eat between 19-30oz in 24 hours no matter their age

That sounds like way too much, is your lo at the age where he chews his hands all the time? It is really unlikely that he is eating that much from you, ebf babies eat between 19-30oz in 24 hours no matter their age

Yes as soon as I put him down he chews his hands or anything else he can get like my hand or a teddy.
He is now nursing every hour (which an HV said he would do) but is it because I don't satisfy him now?

I'm not sure but as milk flows from a teat much faster than having to work to get it from a nipple, I'd guess that your LO was just gluzzing all he could get while daddy was in charge!

Hand chewing is not a hunger sign anymore at this age. Just feed on demand, maybe there is a growth spurt going on right now. Your baby and body know what to do :)

If your 3month old was still hungry he'd surely cry when you put him down not just chew his fist? If you're not sure you could try offering boob number 2 and see if he takes it.

I think the hourly feeding is to bond/reconnect with you after you've been away, he hasn't suddenly decided overnight he needs double his usual food intake.

Maybe he took more than usual from the bottle because he wanted the cuddle time? FF's are usually quicker and he's used to a nice BF cuddle, suddenly you've gone away and his nice bf cuddle has been replaced by a "quickie". However it could have been his usual amount as a pump doesn't do what a baby can. Does it matter what he takes? Your body will produce what he needs.

How do we know that babies get more out than a pump? Just curious!
I agree on the reconnect thing.
But why would he vomit/ spit up after me but not after a bottle?
Incidently he took longer eating from the bottle than from me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->