• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

EC with 8mo? Not sure

Cheyby

Mommy to Lil Mackenzie
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

This is a strange question and I have asked a few people but they all seem to act like I am and respond by telling me baby is too young. So here goes:

Ever since my now 8 month old was around 3 months, every time she made a wind (released gas), dad would jokingly say to her, "Who's bum goes *makes wind noises*" or something of the sorts. This would often make her laugh.

I have recently noticed that for about a minute before making a poo, she now makes wind noises (well it's really more like pursed lips with spit bubbling by her lips) and makes a lot of eye contact. Then, as soon as she starts making a poo, her mouth noises stop. Sometimes, when she's not done yet but there is at least 30 seconds of time before anything happens, she carries on with the wind noises with her mouth.

Now I know this is a very rude habit to make those noises but I was wondering if she is "telling" me that she needs the loo by making these noises. She doesn't do it all the time though, probably 80% of the time. She absolutely loathes being in a dirty nappy and I feel that may be a "motivation" or something.

Is this my queue to start potty training?

I have no form of communication with her about wee time but I know she does wee the most when she just wakes up in the morning and is pretty much dry throughout the night- but when I say just wakes up I mean as soon as I give her kisses and speak to her to wake her, there is a noticeable warmth in her nappy.

Any advice to a ftm that is starting to doubt her sanity? I apologise if this is the wrong forum but as a shot in the dark, this was where I turned.

We introduced the potty to DS when he was around 7 months as I often knew when he was gonna poo from his body language. By 11 months the majority of his poos were in the potty and now at 13 months I can ask him if he needs to use the potty and he either points to it if he does or shakes his head if he doesn't. He does also pee on the potty often but is by no means dry.

I say give it a go but don't make a big deal out of it or force her. Just praise her if she does anything and don't make a fuss if she doesn't.

I would go for it!!

We have been putting dd on the potty at every nappy change since 6 months old. At first she didn't do anything, then we had a few fluke wee's then once she did her first potty poo at about 8 months it was like something clicked.

We always talk about what she does, for example, "Esmé did a wee/poo on the potty" and then I show her the potty contents so she can see what it means. If she doesn't do anything we say "Esmé didn't need to go now" or something along those lines. We always try and keep it very positive, never any negative feedback.

Since about 8.5 months I can honestly count the number of poos she has done in her nappy on one hand. She also wees alot on the potty. We are nowhere near potty training but the way I see it is that this will surely make it easier when the time comes.

We also do noises ( wee wee is pssss and poo is a "wind noise" and like you I have noticed she will do the noise for poo when she needs to go ( not so much the wee noise).

Everybody (including dh!) thought I was mad when I put a six month old on the potty but I can honestly say it was one of the best decisions we made and I am glad we stuck with it.

The only thing I would say is be fairly relaxed about it as I think you can quite easily get caught up in trying to 'catch' everything and then feeling frustrated when you 'miss' and it will be a very hit and miss process for quite some time. Good luck!!

When my DS2 was young he got HORRID rashes when he poo'd. If his diaper was not changed imediatly it would be bad. And I mean like as soon as he was done I had to change it because even 2 minutes would give him a bleeding rash.
Soooo, when he was about 6 months I started noticing signs of when he had to poo and would hold him over the toilet for him to go. I would alway say "ooop, time to go poo!" By the time he was 8 months old he would say "poo!" when he had to go and I would put him over the toilet to go. He still went potty in his diaper whenever. It really was a necessity thing for him and I didn't see it as "potty training" at all. I just saw it as a way to make him more comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->