Ectopic or Cyst?

BabyG8686

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had a similar situation!

Was checked into the ER Friday with sharp right side pain in my ovary and bleeding. They took my HCG and it was 950 (up from 327 on Tuesday). They did a external and transvaginal ultrasound, saw nothing. I thought the tech was incompetent but didn't want to wait for hours for a new one so they discharged me with a "wait and see diagnosis" for an ectopic pregnancy.

I went back in today for my follow-up and my levels are at 2,000 so, they're doubling. When they did my ultrasounds they didn't see anything in my uterus yet the but the new tech was able to find the mass in my right ovary (which I think was there all along).

ER doctor overreacted, said I had an ectopic and needed surgery right away. I requested an OBGYN consult. She said that since my pain and bleeding had improved and not worsened since Friday she wasn't convinced I needed anything at all just yet. She diagnosed more "wait and see" until Wednesday and I'm going to go to her private office and we're going to use the ultrasound machine there which she says is way better than the one in the ER.

I've told every doctor I've encountered since the beginning that during my last miscarriage I had bilateral ovarian cysts that resolved themselves. But for some reason I was almost pressured into surgery today! WTH?

I think I likely have a cyst that possibly ruptured Friday, and possibly a viable pregnancy since my levels are doubling and they don't typically increase properly during an ectopic nor a miscarriage, they'd be stagnant if it was ectopic and dropping if I started having a miscarriage Friday afternoon.

Anyone else have this? Been told they have an ectopic but it was just a cyst? Successful pregnancy after this sort of issue in the first 6 weeks?

TYVMIA!

Wow, what a horror scenario. How far along are you now? Could it be in fact too early too see? If so I would definitely wait and see.

a viable pregnancy since my levels are doubling and they don't typically increase properly during an ectopic nor a miscarriage, they'd be stagnant if it was ectopic and dropping if I started having a miscarriage Friday afternoon.
This seems very possible and makes sense about the hcg levels.

Wow, what a horror scenario. How far along are you now? Could it be in fact too early too see? If so I would definitely wait and see.

This seems very possible and makes sense about the hcg levels.

I'm 5w3d, so the pain/bleeding aren't ideal, obviously. I'm just not so sure it's ectopic since this happened with my last MC and it was just a cyst. My HCG is doubling so... who knows? So frustrating.

With my last pregnancy they thought it was ectopic since my levels were going down but then came up (vanishing twin - it was an ivf pregnancy and I had 3 embryos transferred), I had some spotting and they couldn't find the sac until close to 6 weeks. I had two early scans at 5w2d and 5w4d (at the ER) and they couldn't find the sac, and my hcg was doubling normally. They feared ectopic, but wanted to wait a few more days. The following week my normal obgyn found a beautiful heartbeat, in the right place. She said he was just tucked wayyyy up there and hard to get to. He's almost 17mo now. <3

Wishing you the best.

I'm 5w3d, so the pain/bleeding aren't ideal, obviously. I'm just not so sure it's ectopic since this happened with my last MC and it was just a cyst. My HCG is doubling so... who knows? So frustrating.

Thats very early and definitely a reason to wait. I have been bleeding myself, though very light but it caused me to research this and I found a thread on mumsnet where so many bled and cramped in pregnancy. Seems its much more common.

My youngest was a good deal behind in development (we only found an embryo but no heartbeat) and I bled and had painful cramps due to a haematoma. I was given progesterone, the bleeding stopped and next appt. he was further developed than expected...10 weeks instead of 8 :)
Were you given progesterone for the bleed? Its the first thing doctors do here.
In this pregnancy I had only light brown-yellow spotting with progesterone (2 times) but 2 losses before without it.

It was definitely ectopic unfortunately. 4,000 HCG, nothing in my uterus, 3.9cm mass in my right ovary/fallopian tube. Got a shot of methotrexate and it's over.

I am so sorry to hear. I was hoping its not :(

I’m so sorry to hear this. I’m going through something similar and I’m hoping for doubled levels tomorrow and in two wks to see a sac :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->