ECV or just go ahead with scheduled c-section?

RandaPanda

Reaction score
Hi :hi:

Just wondering if anyone has had ECV done before to try to turn their breech baby?? Was it successful?

I'm 38+2 with my first child, and found out today that he's a footling breech, so I'll likely be getting a c-section very soon. But they did offer to try to turn him so I can have the possibility of a vaginal birth. It seems the risks for ECV are low and the discomfort is manageable, but they are still factors I'm thinking about. Also, with him being a footling, my first child, already so close to my due date, and weighing in at an estimated 8lbs 6oz, it doesn't seem likely that the ECV would even work.

I had my heart set on a vaginal birth (hopefully without medication), so I'm a bit disappointed about the idea of a c-section. But a scheduled one is preferable over an emergency one. DH thinks that because he's a rather big baby and we'll know exactly when everything will happen, that the section is what we should just stick with, and don't try to turn the baby around just in case something goes wrong.

If you were in my position, what would you choose to do?

Hey Hun! I was never even offered an ecv with my Frank breech DS. They explained that because he my first and I was 40 weeks they wouldn't recommend it and I said I was fine with that. No real advice...but because your baby is footling I personally would do c section. I'm going for a vbac this time but just wanted to give you comfort that the c section was actually a really lovely experience and have no regrets :)
Good luck!

Following!

I found out last week at 36+1 that our boy is breech. I have a second scan at 37 weeks to confirm position. I've already been given the options for if he is still breech & I'm 99% sure I'm going to refuse the ECV & go for the scheduled C section.
I've done reading up on both and the ECV just doesn't sit comfortable with me. I also have SPD which causes enough pain, I don't think I fancy the pain of having him turned too.

It really is your choice hun & I know how difficult it is when you have professionals & outsiders telling you what's best, only you know that :) xx

I would personally try the ECV first, and if it doesn't work, perhaps he'll move into a frank breech position? Vaginal breech births are perfectly safe if the baby is in a frank position, but unfortunately footling breech births have a high rate of cord prolapse so I wouldn't attempt a vaginal birth then.

Can you also try acupuncture, pelvic tilts, or chiropractic adjustments (the Webster technique)?

At 31 weeks little lady was breech not sure of she's turned or not I think she has but if she hasn't I would go c section I know someone who had the ecv and had to have a crash section. Read the spinning babies website very informative usually there's a reason baby is breech
Sorry didn't mean to upset anyone just it happened to my friend he got tangled up in the cord as they tried to move him

Emma

my sister had it done hun and it worked.. your baby is not big hun, hes a normal size tbh. My sisters baby was 9lb + when they did the ECV and it was successful. she gave birth vaginally 2 weeks later to a 10lb 6oz baby.

she said it was very uncomfortable and at times painful but she was glad she did it :) xx

Hey Hun! I was never even offered an ecv with my Frank breech DS. They explained that because he my first and I was 40 weeks they wouldn't recommend it and I said I was fine with that. No real advice...but because your baby is footling I personally would do c section. I'm going for a vbac this time but just wanted to give you comfort that the c section was actually a really lovely experience and have no regrets :)
Good luck!

Thank you! It's nice to hear about a positive c section experience. Good luck with your vbac! :hugs:

Following!

I found out last week at 36+1 that our boy is breech. I have a second scan at 37 weeks to confirm position. I've already been given the options for if he is still breech & I'm 99% sure I'm going to refuse the ECV & go for the scheduled C section.
I've done reading up on both and the ECV just doesn't sit comfortable with me. I also have SPD which causes enough pain, I don't think I fancy the pain of having him turned too.

It really is your choice hun & I know how difficult it is when you have professionals & outsiders telling you what's best, only you know that :) xx

Hi Lucy :hi: Did you have the second scan? I see you're at 37 weeks now. Hope your LO has turned or plans to soon. I also don't feel right about the ECV - I know plenty of people do them, but the success rate isn't super high, especially for footlings like mine. The doctor also said I may have bleeding because of my anterior placenta, and then I'd have to have an emerg section...which I really want to avoid. We went in today for a consult, and we've booked for a section on Dec. 3rd. That gives him a little time to turn still. Fingers x'd. Keep me posted on your little guy :hugs:

I would personally try the ECV first, and if it doesn't work, perhaps he'll move into a frank breech position? Vaginal breech births are perfectly safe if the baby is in a frank position, but unfortunately footling breech births have a high rate of cord prolapse so I wouldn't attempt a vaginal birth then.

Can you also try acupuncture, pelvic tilts, or chiropractic adjustments (the Webster technique)?

I have attempted some pelvic tilts, but think I'm mostly going to have to stick with home remedies since the cost of chiropractic, acupuncture and homeopathic care (I also wanted to try moxibustion!) are quite high and not covered by my health insurance. If I had more time to invest in treatment sessions, I might have given it a go. I feel like my little guy is trying to get himself turned around though - the past couple nights, he's gotten himself into a transverse position, but then just popped back up to breech. Lol, I'm proud of him for giving it a go though :)

At 31 weeks little lady was breech not sure of she's turned or not I think she has but if she hasn't I would go c section I know someone who had the ecv and had to have a crash section. Read the spinning babies website very informative usually there's a reason baby is breech
Sorry didn't mean to upset anyone just it happened to my friend he got tangled up in the cord as they tried to move him

Emma

Not upsetting at all - I want to have all kinds of info, good and bad :flower: And for me, I feel pretty strongly about a scheduled section being far better than ending up with an emergency one like your friend.

my sister had it done hun and it worked.. your baby is not big hun, hes a normal size tbh. My sisters baby was 9lb + when they did the ECV and it was successful. she gave birth vaginally 2 weeks later to a 10lb 6oz baby.

she said it was very uncomfortable and at times painful but she was glad she did it :) xx

Ouch! Your sister is a warrior :) Do you know if her baby was complete, frank or footling breech?

i have no clue which of those he was hun sorry. but i will say too an elcs is a fab experience :) i had one with ds2 but am trying for a vbac this time xx

Hey hun, I have my 2nd scan tomorrow but I can still feel his head up by my ribs the little monkey! I'm assuming they will confirm position, give a weight estimate & then it's time to decide. However I'm fairly set on going for the C Section.
Do you feel comfort in having a date now? I hope your LO decides to turn for you too :) xx

Lucy, how did it go?

My guy is definitely still breech - I can gently cup his little head just below my ribs! I feel okay about the section now - of course, if he flipped, that would be great. But I'm just getting so excited to meet him!

I had my scan on weds & baby was head down! I'm pretty sure he is still that way however it seems he keeps flipping when I'm asleep.

He's measuring on the large side already, 8lbs+ so I'm hoping it means he may be a bit earlier! .

I'm a bit gutted that there is no concrete date now, that would have made everything so much easier with childcare etc but I'm looking forward to labour watch & hopefully getting the lovely labour I missed out with my daughter.

Your date is so close, are you excited? Xx

Oh, I think that's so exciting he's turned! It's true though that now you're just waiting and wondering.

I am getting really excited, but also nervous still. But I woke up this morning and can feel that something is a bit different about his position...I'm not sure exactly how he's sitting now, but I'm trying to feel around because it seems like he may be trying to turn. I actually don't think I'm going to make it to my scheduled section date....It's just a hunch, but I've been having some strange cramping and nausea the past few days, and my nesting is out of control!

Even though they can be way off with the measurements, it seems like we're both on track to have big babies!

Awesome, so happy he turned! :D That's wonderful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->