EDINBURGH mums and mums-to-be

Hey CharT, I missed you by 1 day at RIE, I was in there for a week 24/10 - 31/10 whilst having my wee boy. I gave birth at the old labour ward and whilst I can't fault the staff I will say that it was crazily understaffed. This didn't particular affect my labour but post labour care was terrible and I noticed it alot since I was kept in for 3 days after having him.

I have to agree with the post labour care is questionable. Nothing drastic happened for me but I was discharged after my first labour 5 days later with a cannula still in my hand :rofl: :dohh:

I stayed in the relatives rooms after that though, so there was someone on hand to get it out :rofl: (theres a few rooms for discharged parents who have babies in the neonatal unit)

I do absolutly hate turning up to triage though - they left me for 2 hours the first time not knowing what was wrong with me until they realised I was 9cm dilated and it was too late to stop our little one coming :nope: I think one midwife got her arse kicked as hubby found her crying later. :shrug: Time was of the essence because we needed the steroid shots.

My care improved the second time round - probably because they knew I knew what was happening with my body.

My friend always told me a good bit of advice - if in doubt, shout. The words "F***" got me somewhere :rofl:

It's a shame really.

And I hate how they just let the Bounty ladies barge into your room. :grr:

Wow@ AtomicPink, that's awful - turning up at 27 weeks at triage you should be first at beginning of the queue - basic triage really, for pre-term labour less than 24ish weeks theres not much chance or survival and more than 32 much more chance of survival, they can afford to wait! Glad your wee one's doing well now though.

I wasn't too impressed with triage (in waiting area for 3hours 20 minutes, had went in due to contractions and reduced fetal movement) but had convinced myself that the 24 hours of 3 minute-apart contractions i'd been having were going to turn out to be "false labour" and id'd be sent home. Although did panic when waters broke after 30 hours and were full of meconium :/ plus some odd shaped lumps stucking out my belly at odd angles (back-to-back-baby) there was me, using these blue square procedure pad things trying to mop up the pooey waters from the floor, crying about the mess, ordering OH to get a midwife (it took him 20 mintues of wandering around but not wanting to be too far away- to find one).

I have to agree about the bounty woman - she flounced in through the curtain (I was in 4-bedded ward for a few days post labour) while i had boobs on display trying to get a sleeping baby to bloody latch on so i could go home lol!

Apart from that though, staff on labour suite or whatever it's called were brilliant, even though you could tell they were flitting between rooms and understaffed. :)

Yep I'm with you on them being understaffed. The majority of midwives were lovely but I did come across the odd one that was really grumpy but put it down to stress!

I was kept in a ward overnight as they wanted to keep an eye on Charlie he should have had obs done every hour for the first 6 hrs then every 3 hrs well I had to ask for him to have temp checked then the day I was to be discharged they said NO you need to stay another night?! I was fuming OH had already arrived to take us home had no more clothes for me or Charlie and I'm positive the only reason they wanted to keep me in was because they couldn't be bothered to do my discharge paperwork due to lack of staff. Anyway I kicked up a fuss and eventually they said we could go home the wards are not ideal so noisy and I found a lot of cleaning staff to be noisy when emptying bins etc!

Also the midwife aftercare I've found to be really relaxed it's not bothered me to much but I thought they were meant to come everyday? In the 10 days I think I saw a midwife 4 times.

Off topic now on the forum page there is talk of an Edinburgh meet? Anyone fancy it?

Ah yeah i forgot about the "obs" that were meant to be done and never were! That was the reason me and danny were stuck in there for 2 days, and because he was too lazy to feed, but i think he got obs done twice in 2 days :/ even then i had to ask the MW's if his temp was ok, if they thought he needed blood sugar tested, if this was normal, if something else was normal, quite sure they were sick of me by the end lol
Off topic now on the forum page there is talk of an Edinburgh meet? Anyone fancy it?
Edinburgh meet sounds quite good. All my pals are still in the "getting pissed 4 times a week" stage and not really interested in hanging around someone with a baby (despite the fact they're all in mid-20's!)

Should maybe make a BnB edinburgh facebook page if people felt like joining it, i g on FB more than im on here and it's easier to "chat" on fb too lol, see what folks think though!

Booda that sounds good to me I'm the same always on FB.

Also I'm not from Edinburgh been here 4 yes now but all friends here are all still out every weekend don't really have many mummy friends!!

I'm gonna try and post a link to my fb if you want to add me but...... I'm not very technical so it might not work?!! Lol!

https://www.facebook.com/charlene.thackeray?ref=tn_tnmn

Booda that sounds good to me I'm the same always on FB.

Also I'm not from Edinburgh been here 4 yes now but all friends here are all still out every weekend don't really have many mummy friends!!

I'm gonna try and post a link to my fb if you want to add me but...... I'm not very technical so it might not work?!! Lol!

https://www.facebook.com/charlene.thackeray?ref=tn_tnmn

Added you =D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back