Eep! Pus coming out of fingernail! Pics included

Leids

Mommy :)
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

My little man has green/yellow pus coming out of a fingernail! The nail in that area looked slightly ingrown (but not really, kind of looked more like a hangnail with lots of excess skin growing around). It wasn't like that last weekend when I clipped his nails, and I went to clip his nails today and saw that it was slightly off in color and looked strange in general. So I pushed the skin to the side a bit to see if I could clip the excess (dead) skin and nail, and pus just came shooting out!

Needless to say, I called the doctor right away and he has an appointment at 4:15 (1.5 hours from now).

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm sure it's no big deal but it caught me off guard! He'll likely need antibiotics I'm guessing? I just cleaned the area with alcohol and now it looks quite swollen!

Pictures: (note first pic, he has food on his hands, he just ate apricots and peas for lunch)
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/nakeli/2013-02-25144542_zpsa16c3bfa.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/nakeli/2013-02-25142721_zpsd31e3bd1.jpg
:nope:

I had this on me, rather than on my LO. No idea what caused it tbh.

I got some antibiotic cream to put on it. Was cleared within a couple of days.

My 3 week old baby had this, they just gave me some antibiotic cream to put on the area, it cleared within 5 days x

Our LO got it on his toe at 2 wks old - we took him to a and e!!!!! :) silly parents :) It was a fri night though and his toe nail was going black and the walk in centre wouldn;t take us as he was under 1 and i was terrified his toe was going to drop off :) haha anyway the doc just squeezed the pus out - yes LO screamed but the doc said it would clear up on it;s own which it did as he was too young for antibiotics. It;s not uncommon though and if he;s allowed antibiotics then it;ll clear up soon. Just do as you are and keep it clean and dry

Oh phew thanks ladies. I'm here seriously freaking out. :rofl: I'm such a paranoid mom! You all made me feel much better. :hugs:

haha - I don;t think you are anymore paranoid than anybody else :) it's scary when they have sth like that if you;ve never experienced it before. I swear baby number 2 must be easier! :)

It is scary. :nope:

My poor guy. He's been sick with a cold for 2 weeks, and now this. It was diagnosed as paronychia. He had an abscess with his, which is apparently a bit rare. He was prescribed antibiotics (oral) sulfameth-trimeth? I've never heard of it before.

Anyway, hope it starts looking better and he starts feeling better soon. Wanted to update just in case someone else searches for something similar. Thanks again ladies. :hugs:

Glad he got seen and meds! That would freak me out.

sulfameth trimeth is essentially bactrim which is a horrible drug please read the horrors about it!!!! please be informed and keep an eye on LO while taking it dont mean to alarm you but my friend almost died from taking it!!! also my LO's had 3 nails do this I squeezed the pus out and doused in peroxide everyday and it cleared up in like 3 days

also my LO was put on this medicine and literally gagged and choked so bad I had to pound on his back to clear his airways!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->