ELC - Im annoyed

babe2ooo

mum to Jack
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Right i bought jack one of those ball pits for his 1st birthday which was about 5months, now about a month ago the tree bit on it just went down, we blew it up but there must be a hole in it, now jack cant really use it with the tree bit down cause he cant really get into it,

anyway so 2day i called ELC and they said go back to shop and ask the manger and it would be up to them, so when there and asked and she said becasue its gone passed 28days they wont do it,

WOT A LOAD OF CRAP, i dont pay £20 for a ball bit and about £15 for the balls and only get 5months of use out of it, all i wanted was a new ball bit, they have gone down as well to £16 but i dont wanna have to buy a new one, im really annoyed they could have got me one in and they didnt seem to care.....but jack loves it.....

dont think there is anything else i can do, but im not buying anything there again if they dont treat me right...

I've been worrying about things like this because I bought all Serens birthday and Xmas stuff so early. Can't believe they won't do anything, even as a goodwill gesture.
I'm sure there are patch kits you can get though hun, so you can patch up the hole so it will stay up.
I've got the same ball pit and it is lovely x

yeah i'll have 2 have a look, just thought being a kids shop they would do something

Quote the sales of goods act at them. If you sound like you know what you're on about it works every time!

Goods must be fit for purpose and the act states that this includes durability. It also makes clear that it is the sellers responsibility and not the manufacturer so it IS ELCs problem. For goods under 6 months old you dont even have to prove non conformity either.

I agree - ring back and say what the manager has told you. You have a faulty item and given its not fit for purpose.

'This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).'

Read this: https://whatconsumer.co.uk/the-sale-of-goods-act/

The clothing store I work in allows 3 months for faulty items (replacement only without a receipt)

xxxx

Keep in mind that shop managers also know the Sale of Goods act and the entire act, as with all civil law, is littered with the word "reasonable".

If you pushed this as far as court, you would need to demonstrate that it is reasonable to expect an inflatable toy not to develop a puncture after 5 months of use, and demonstrate that the use it has had was as intended. Clearly inflatable toys are quite easy to puncture accidently with sharp objects or excessive pressure (e.g. if a fatty jumped on it) so I can actually see ELC's point of view here. They'd be bankrupt if they replaced everything a child broke at their own expense. Goodness knows how many things I trashed as a kid...

A bicycle puncture repair kit will sort this most likely and the little one will get his ball pit back, which is all that really matters.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the aggro for £20.

It'll take you 10 mins to fix with a puncture repair kit. Blow it up, put it in the bath, find where the bubbles are coming from and mark it with chalk or a marker pen. Deflate, dry it, patch it, blow it back up, put baby in it :)

Sorry I have no advice but just spat my drink out at "if a fatty jumped on it", lmfao.

But yeah I'd keep kicking off, at the end of the day by you posting this thread it's going to make others (like me) more cautious of buying things from them so it's in their best interest to keep you happy. I'd keep pushing it. Good luck!

tbh i actually agree thats its not reallly worth the hassle - it obviously never had a fault when you bought it or it wouldnt have blown up for 5 months, and i think you would have a hard time proving the fit for purpose on an inflatable hun x

I think it's reasonable to expect a new toy to last more than 5 months inflatable or not. Afterall, would the OP still have spent the money knowing it would only last a short while?

I think it's reasonable to expect a new toy to last more than 5 months inflatable or not. Afterall, would the OP still have spent the money knowing it would only last a short while?

yes i completely agree, was merely meaning that it could be a long, time consuming and stressful process trying to 'prove' it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->