Elective C-Sections in the UK?

nobodys moo is big enough for a baby, during labour that all changes our bodies can do amazing things. u wont be getting an elective csec on the nhs for nothing as each op costs around £6000 so use the next 30 weeks to mentally prepare urself for giving birth, good luck

I had an elective C'section with my first baby due to her being stubborn breach. I was told a flat out no to having another one now I am pregnant again, I had been told I must try for a V'bac and an automatic c'section was not an option.

I'm not 35 weeks and my baby is breach again, they still won't confirm if they will do a c'section even though the circumstances are identical to last time - I am waiting to see... !

So basically you can't opt in for a c'section

Speak to your midwife, they try & encourage against it but some people have an actual proper childbirth phobia. Try not to worry about the labour & do try relaxation techniques?
I was really panicky about childbirth & then found out I had to have a section due to breech & medical reasons, I'm still freaking out now but the baby will have to come out one way or another! And I know it will all be worth it.
Don't be embarrassed to talk to your Midwife & tell her how you feel. Have you thought about a water birth? That's what I was going to try for as it just looks so natural & relaxing.
Don't panic xxxxx

You can get elective c-section here but in private establishments only if it's not for medical reasons. Mostly private London hospitals that do them.

I haven't got any advice on c-sections or birth because mine is my first and the ladies here will likely be able to give you very good advice :thumbup: but to answer your question in short if you really want something here, money talks.

You can have one but it will cost you! :D

https://www.theportlandhospital.com/downloads/maternity/ConsultantLedPrices2011.pdf

Around £7600 :D To be preicise!

sorry ur feeling anxious hunny about giving birth its an anxious time and most ladies feel this way at one point or another....

in the UK u can have an elective c-section unless its medically necessary or u have had previous sections like myself this will be my third (my first section was emergency with my first child)
i must say sections are easier to get the baby out BUT there very painful afterwards u cant do nothing without help for at least 2 weeks and its very frustrating and in all honestly if i was allowed to try giving birth naturally i would go for it 100%.
the only other way in the UK to get a c-section without medical reason is to go private and pay ALOT of money for it, i hope over the next few months u find the thoughts easier to deal with, ur pregnancy is still pretty new so everything is still scary to think about give it time and im sure u will be fine and labour will be fine too ;)

I really don't know if I can go through with labour. I'm seriously freaked out, and am wondering if I can get an elective c-section in the UK. I'm from Canada, and I'm pretty sure you're able to choose a c-section if you really want one.

No, it's the same here in Canada as it is in the UK. Medical reasons only, although private options may exist. Of course, some mental health reasons (debilitating anxiety, diagnosed by a psychologist or psychiatrist) may qualify as medical reason in the UK, like it is here in Canada.

I'll be having an elective one myself next time for medical reasons and it's a fight even for me. Good luck!

I agree with what others have said, i just wanted tochime in and remind you that even if you have a csec (even if its elective), you will still have to experience labor :)

I see you are only 10 weeks pregnant so far - firstly if you really want a C-section then you need to be prepared to pay for one. I suppose anyone can have what they want if they pay.

I am from South Africa and we are allowed elective C-sections here (in fact it is very much encouraged) As a type 1 diabetic I have been told by numerous people that every diabetic has a C-section - the doctors actually have little knowledge of delivering a diabetics baby naturally, but with persuasion they have agreed to do an induction for me providing certain circumstances are met.

Birth is scary either way. I know people who are so scared they ask for a general anaesthetic for a C-section (the gynaes here do refuse that as we have good anaethetists who have a lot of experience with spinals due to the high rates of C-sections) I think though that you need to take this pregnancy one step at a time - firstly make it to 12 weeks and have the 12 week scan to see how baby is doing, then the 20 week one and then you have to wait and see - is baby breech, how big is the baby, how is your health, what about prematurity - I don't want to scare you more, but pregnancies are stressful and there are so many things that can change - you may even need a C-section in the end. While I want an induction I will not know til the day ift is booked if it is the best option and may very well have to accept a C-section.

Try and stay in the present and deal with the signs of first trimester now and so on, while still asking what you need to know and discussing your fears also.

It's horrible that there are such high C-section rates when birth is such a normal thing! Plus, that c-sections basically WILL happen for people with diabetes is extra bad as having blood sugar issues actually can make healing even more complicated (hence why people with diabetes are always careful when they have small cuts and stuff especially on their feet as they are so prone to complications, infections and gangrene and amputation!).

I'm totally the opposite as you Yorkie, I am TERRIFIED of a c-section and would push out this baby with no pain killers if I had to just to avoid it! I feel like although there are some...umm..."indignities" of normal childbirth, clearly it can't be as bad as I think as people have MULTIPLE children and I've yet to meet a mom who said "OMG my birth was soooo bad it put me off any more children"! whereas a c-section is invasive, painful sounding and terrifying to me much more than natural labour because you are being cut into.......soooo scary!

Take it day by day and educate yourself, talk to other women who have been through it and I hope you will feel better about it daily. Also, maybe wait before you start panicking as all this stress is NOT good for tiny bubs right now when they need to be at the healthiest as all its tiny vital organs and stuff are growing :)

im having a csec this time for medical reasons and im really bricking it, 100x more than when i had a natural labour.

:wave: I really think that you would benefit from looking at some natural birthing stories to reinforce that giving birth is a natural process. The vast majority of women do it without complication. A big proportion of those that do have complications will find upon analysis that it is hospital interventions that led to those complications rather than them being a 'cure'. Of course there are true difficulties but most women will not face them. We hear lots about the horror stories and the gore etc but we never hear about the amazing empowering experiences birthing can and should be. We don't hear about the animal taking over our labour and birth and doing the job for us. We don't hear about the beauty of creating a being and releasing them into the world ourselves. I would really suggest that looking in the home and natural birthing section will help give a different perspective on birthing. Try here for a start: https://www.babyandbump.com/home-natural-birthing/496228-positive-natural-birthing-stories.html

You can get an ELCS on the NHS for a first birth with no medical reason - I did.

It isn't easy and you need to do your homework thouroughly on risks etc and be totally sure that it is definitely what you want. You need to get yourself an appointment with your consultant and go from there (it's not up to your midwife) - remember you are entitled to a second opinion if they refuse and use it (I did). I also had an ELCS for my second but that was much easier to get:) I can honestly say I had no pain with either ELCS as they keep you very well managed with meds.

This time round will be my 3rd C section and im still really scared of having one.
I just wish i can have a baby naturally but its not going to happen it wasnt even a real option this time round as i've had 2 previous.
I'm sure you'll be fine in giving birth naturally, my sister done it and she vowed never to have children in her life due to the pain. She was only on gas and air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->