• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Elective cesarean only after 39 weeks *update*

Amber100

Reaction score
*update* Good news is the consultant signed off my section. He listened to my reasons then said ok :) I asked what would happen if I went into labour earlier & he said it would be my decision. If I wanted to give things a go & everything was progressing well then I could but if I didn't want to as long as there was time & no emergencies then I'd still be given a cesarean so I'm very relieved. Looking forward to meeting baby now & hoping it stay put until it's planned birthday!

I have requested an elective cesarean for my first baby & am hopefully seeing the consultant next week to have it signed off however I have been told that if I go into labour before 39 weeks then they will not do a cesarean on ethical grounds & I will have to deliver vaginally. Given that my reason for wanting a cesarean is based on a huge fear of vaginal delivery along with weighing up the risks of both options this is doing nothing to ease my mind & I'm currently not sleeping & have increased blood pressure.
I understand fully that there may be instances where a section is not possible such as labour progressing very quickly or emergency situations taking precedence but if I went into labour at 37 or 38 weeks I'm not clear why a section would be automatically refused.
Just wondering if any other ladies who are having/have had sections due to tokophobia have had the same information?
Thanks

i dont know why they wouldnt give u one if they say yes if u go into labour sooner. im not here to have a moan but have you looked into everything about a section as its not a easy option, ive had 2 laboured with both then a section but i would prefer the labout pain anyday to a section i was even i labout for 4 days last time and prefered that, i advise u to really look into what a section involves as afterwards u will have scar tissue inside u that can make your insides stick together, my bladder was stuck to my uterus after my first section i found this out 9 years later, that pain afterwards is alot more painful than a labour itsself as u cant cough/sneeze it feels like someone is ripping ur apart. not scareing u i just want people to know what a section involves, i'll be happy to answer a question u have about a section as i have had 2 but would love a normal birth and going to try for a vba2c

i dont know why they wouldnt give u one if they say yes if u go into labour sooner. im not here to have a moan but have you looked into everything about a section as its not a easy option, ive had 2 laboured with both then a section but i would prefer the labout pain anyday to a section i was even i labout for 4 days last time and prefered that, i advise u to really look into what a section involves as afterwards u will have scar tissue inside u that can make your insides stick together, my bladder was stuck to my uterus after my first section i found this out 9 years later, that pain afterwards is alot more painful than a labour itsself as u cant cough/sneeze it feels like someone is ripping ur apart. not scareing u i just want people to know what a section involves, i'll be happy to answer a question u have about a section as i have had 2 but would love a normal birth and going to try for a vba2c

i have booked myself for elective c/s on 2nd april with my second child.with my first 1 i was in labour for 46 h i had epidural and in the end i almost lost my son coz he stuck in birth canal they perform forceps and vacuum and fucked up my hips for life as i was suffering on spd they cut me and i tear and that was when my epidural was wearing of so basically i felt everything and later at home stitches broke and i had to go bk to the hospital to repair.that was worst nightmare my son has big scar on his head and he is 11 months old when he was pulled out we was so stressed out crying for week didnt want to eat being on pain relief since the minute he was born thats not fair on him.so im pregnant again now and this baby gonna be bigger than my son and the way i feel about vbac doesnt make me wimp if i go to labour earlier than 39 weeks and decline c/s i will sue shit out of them.

To be honest I've done nothing but look at the risks/benefits of both a section & a vaginal delivery as it's something that actually put me off having children for 5 years. For me a vaginal delivery is just too much of a Russian roulette & whilst I acknowledge I may have just been unlucky I have witnessed some tragic outcomes with vaginal birth. I appreciate that a section is by no means the easy way way out but I feel I can cope & deal with the associated risks far more. I think giving birth is a very personal experience & whilst I would love to avoid surgery I will do everything I can to have my wishes respected & those wishes are to have a section.

That must be very upsetting for you, I'd wait until you see the consultant to verify, perhaps who you spoke to was not completely informed? If you are having a C-section for psychological reasons then the date when your labour starts should not really make a difference.

That must be very upsetting for you, I'd wait until you see the consultant to verify, perhaps who you spoke to was not completely informed? If you are having a C-section for psychological reasons then the date when your labour starts should not really make a difference.

i agree with you!!!!

To be honest I've done nothing but look at the risks/benefits of both a section & a vaginal delivery as it's something that actually put me off having children for 5 years. For me a vaginal delivery is just too much of a Russian roulette & whilst I acknowledge I may have just been unlucky I have witnessed some tragic outcomes with vaginal birth. I appreciate that a section is by no means the easy way way out but I feel I can cope & deal with the associated risks far more. I think giving birth is a very personal experience & whilst I would love to avoid surgery I will do everything I can to have my wishes respected & those wishes are to have a section.

I really hope your baby stays until 39 weeks :hugs:
I am exactly the same as you in terms of fears of childbirth and like you , I too have read into every possible birthing scenario and the risks of complications during a vaginal birth scare me more than a planned C-section does. The risk to the baby is also greater and I am terrified of tears, forceps, vacuums and bladder incontinence from a vaginal birth oh not to mention possible pelvic floor prolapse and being in labour itself which in first time births usually does take longer and often requires medical intervention, not always but often.

Im thankful my placenta is low lying and my baby is breech but these things could both change and if they do I'll be in your position and have to do a trial of labour first and its kills me because the placenta could move and a staggering amount of breech babies in the second trimester turn head down by the end of the third so its very freaky

have faith that your baby will stay in and hopefully he/she will and with first babies they tend to be late, not early, this could be another reason they told you no for an earlier section because they are pretty sure your baby will be late, the likelihood is much much higher in first births :D

I dont know if youve maybe had your wires crossed? My consultant told me an elective section (a section which is not a health risk to mother or baby, mine is due to severe tearing in my last birth therefore not a health risk as such) this will not be booked in until 39 weeks, if you go into labour between 37 weeks and your section date if you are too far along (eg get to hospital and are 8cm dilated) they wont do a section as this is risk to baby as baby has decended so they would prefere you to deliver vaginally. However my consultant said if i begin labour before 37 weeks a section will not be performed unless either mummy or baby are at risk. I dunno if thats the same where you are but it may be what was meant? All the best hope your stresses can be sorted after speaking to your consultant xxxx

Ive been told my section will be booked for 38 weeks but it is on medical grounds maybe thats why???

im due to have a csection on the 14th of march 2012... this will be my third baby i had two naturel births before without pain meds... both of those labours were fast and painfull.. the reason i am having a c section this time is because when i had my second baby he came out not breathing as the cord was wrapped so tight around his neck they had to take him away to work on him to get him breathing it was a terrible experience and has left me with severe anxiety and panic attacks im seeing a counceller due to the anxiety so a c section is what i want.. the doc said he wont do it until im 39 weeks as babies lungs sometimes are not fully working right... i did say if i go into labour early what happens and the midwife said not to worry that they will still do the c section well thats if i make it in on time as i live an hour away fro the hospital and my labours are really quick... i hope you et waht you want hun xxx

This must be a condition particular to the UK or certain parts of the UK. I'm in Canada and having a c-section due to 7 years of chronic pelvic pain that makes it such that having a vaginal birth with cause me irreparable damage and is not in MY best interests. They won't do them here until 39 weeks and mine is schedule for 39 and 6 because my OB will be out of town when I hit 39 weeks on the dot. If I go into labour before my date then all I have to do is show up at the hospital and the section will be done on an emergency basis (probably not by my OB unless he is on duty but it will be done none the less).

My outlook is that it is YOUR body and YOUR birth so YOU should be the one to decide how that happens. It makes no sense for them to be willing to do it at 39 weeks but will force you to deliver vaginally if you go into labour earlier than that. I would be asking for a very thorough explanation and then I would strongly advocate for what YOU want.

Anyway, I hope you have the birth that you want....it is very personal and no one should be forced to do something they don't want to do. Good luck!

This must be a condition particular to the UK or certain parts of the UK. I'm in Canada and having a c-section due to 7 years of chronic pelvic pain that makes it such that having a vaginal birth with cause me irreparable damage and is not in MY best interests. They won't do them here until 39 weeks and mine is schedule for 39 and 6 because my OB will be out of town when I hit 39 weeks on the dot. If I go into labour before my date then all I have to do is show up at the hospital and the section will be done on an emergency basis (probably not by my OB unless he is on duty but it will be done none the less).

My outlook is that it is YOUR body and YOUR birth so YOU should be the one to decide how that happens. It makes no sense for them to be willing to do it at 39 weeks but will force you to deliver vaginally if you go into labour earlier than that. I would be asking for a very thorough explanation and then I would strongly advocate for what YOU want.

Anyway, I hope you have the birth that you want....it is very personal and no one should be forced to do something they don't want to do. Good luck!
i agree with you even more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read last week that babies born by csection before 39 weeks are more likely to have respiratory problems and require support than those born after. I too want a section but haven't spoken to my consultant yet so don't know what she will suggest.

Thanks for all your replies. The registrar I saw was very clear and actually commented that it was a good question when I asked what would happen if I went into labour myself before 39 weeks & her reply was that I would have to deliver vaginally unless it turned into an emergency situation. I'm going to do as advised and when I meet with my consultant on Tuesday will get him to explain exactly why.
If anyone does feel strongly about having a cesarean I'd advise you to speak to your midwife ASAP for a referral as the process does seem to drag on & this will be the fourth time I'll have to explain my reasons. I understand they want to make sure that all the risks & benefits are understood but with an average wait of 2-3 weeks between appointments it does take a fair amount of time.
I've got my fingers crossed for Tuesday & will update with how I get on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->