Elijah's Birth Story - Induction due to GD

Green Glitter

Reaction score
Elijah’s Birth Story

I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes at 28 weeks, so my baby’s weight was closely monitored as well as the AFI and baby’s activity. My doctor wanted to keep him in there as long as possible, so at a growth scan at 38 weeks, the baby was estimated at 8 lbs, so they recommended an induction at 39 weeks.

At exactly 39 weeks, Sunday the 4th, I went to the hospital to get a Cervidil tablet inserted to thin out my cervix. Well, after only 20 minutes of having that in, I started to get contractions that were about 2-5 minutes apart, so they removed the tablet and watched to see if the contractions would stop, and they didn’t. So it had kicked me into labor a bit. I went to sleep then and they decided (and I agreed) to just let my body thin itself out at that point. It was pretty funny because the midwife stated that I'd get just like period cramps at most from it, and when the contractions started in my back and started to rise and peak, I knew what was happening. I didn't sleep much, but I tried.

I woke up in the morning and around 10 AM the midwife at the hospital came to check me and I was 3 cm at that point and 80%! Those overnight contractions worked, so at this point they just broke my water at about 10:30 AM. They asked if I wanted an epidural, and I chose to get one but wanted to hold off till about 4-5 cm so I was a little more active. I waited and around 1 PM I was already about 5-6 CM so they did the epidural… Well, the first one didn’t work at all. They had fiddled with the old one, tried to up the dose, whatever and it didn’t work – so at around 2 PM they brought an anesthesiologist back and viola, after a complete redo it worked.

I slept till around 4 PM and then the nurse checked me and to my amazement I was fully dilated and ready to push. My mom and husband were there, which was great support, and then they got the room ready. I pushed for a literally like 5 minutes and he was out. Even with the epidural, I could feel the contractions. The midwife on the floor delivered him, and she was super awesome and supportive, and just commented on easy I made it look. But this was my third delivery vaginally, so it went pretty quickly.

I didn’t know the sex of the baby and it was awesome to get that thrill and surprise when my husband announced it was a boy. Everyone thought he was a girl when I was pregnant, so it was a good shock that we had absolutely no idea. They put Elijah on my chest and I got to hold him and stare at him while they cleaned me up and my husband cut the cord. He weighed 9 lbs and 13 oz! Huge little guy, and amazingly I didn’t tear. I had to have two tiny stiches because I got a little knick as he came out, but that was it.

After they cleaned him up and weighed him, bathed him and checked his sugars, I was able to breastfeed him and he latched right away.

He was a week early and nearly 10 lbs! But I delivered him and am in total love with my baby boy. My son and daughter came up afterwards and spent some time with their new brother, which was perfect. All in all, I am thrilled with how it turned out and am happy he’s with me now. His blood sugars were fine after birth, despite my diabetes:D

My induction was pretty easy and pretty quick, but he was my third vaginal delivery and third induction. It was my first induction earlier than 40 weeks, but regardless it went pretty well and I am so happy to meet my little guy.

Name: Elijah Samuel
Born: 12/5/2011 @ 4:20 PM
Weight and Height: 9 lbs 13 oz and 21 (nearly 22) inches

Thanks to everyone for the awesome support in this pregnancy!

https://img825.imageshack.us/img825/4416/photowrc.jpg

Congrats!! He is an absolute beauty. Very good weight too, and good thing you didn't need too many stitches! So happy for you xx

Oh i am so happy for you. I almost started crying when i read your birthstory. I guess bc we have so many things in common from where we live to the same doctor group. And not to mention the GD. Reading your story has increased my hope that i can deliver my son vaginally! Im not gonna let my dr tell me i have to have a csection if hes over 8 1/2 lbs. I am now going 2x a week and its sceduled with the women so hopefully they will have diff prefrences. But once again...Congrats he is absolutley adorable!

Oh he is adorable. Congratulations

Congratulations Green Glitter!!! He is just beautiful!!! And what a great induction story. :) Glad everything went so well and he is healthy and well.

Aww wow what a beauty! Well done hun, did you have GD in previous pregnancies with your children, or just this time round? xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->