Elimination Communication

My OH's co-worker did it with their daughter and I have been reading up on it since I heard about it. From everything I read and heard about from her I will definitely try it - but she didn't go diaperless all the time!! Basically she would use cues, etc when her daughter was awake - she always wore a diaper at night. They got it to the point where she was only using 3-4 diaper a day, then 1-2, and she was completely out of diapers at just before 1.5 years. It really made her daughter aware of her body sooner and she was out of diapers sooner as a result. They didn't just take off her diaper and stare at her butt waiting for something to happen LOLOL!!! :rofl: She would wear diapers during the day too they just learned her cues and would take the diaper off beforehand. I am definitely going to have a meeting with her and pick her brain!! :D
xx

But children are allready being made to grow up too soon as it is, i dont get why you would make them have to grow up, wether they are ready to or not at such a young age. Dont get me started on sex ed at the age of 5.

I posted this to ask if anyone was using EC or knew anyone. I dont think attacking people who follow it is useful. People chose cloth/disposable or FF/BF or dummies/thumbs or prams/baby wearing. It's their choice but neither needs attacking or belittling thanks.

Well I have a friend whos baby only poops once per day so they take her nappy off and hold her over the sink at 8am every morning... but don't think that counts, she wears a nappy the rest of the day for pee!

I've put Hebe on the potty to poo since she was about 6 months old. I dont always get it but she did start a pattern of doing it straight after her tea so I just saved a nappy by putting her on the potty! :lol:

I think I'd try to learn the cues but keep LO in a nappy, unless I got really confident with it..

DH says it's certainly something to try. :)

Honestly I couldn't do it. Even thousands of years ago babies worn cloth nappies so it's hardly 'natural' parenting if that makes sense. Just seems like a bizarre new idea someone has come up with, and I don't really get it. Sorry!

I agree, if it was natural, all babys noses would turn a certain colour or something to say they needed to go. Ok, thats a bad example but you get what im trying to get at.

Which babies? Just interested not trying to argue that point! It's not 'natural' to wear nappies though (well, not natural in a clothes aren't natural kind of way). I'm sure that millions of babies in the world now don't actually wear nappies?! Not wearing nappies isn't a new idea. In other cultures the mother will just hold her baby away from her when it wees / poos - obviously easier to do if you live in the rainforests than in a town!!!

What is a cue for peeing though? I never see any... I know when she is pooping. Im not sure what the point is... If it still takes until they are 1.5 years to be trained, and regularly alot of children are ready around 2 years anyway?

Cues are things like squirming, not something I've ever noticed either. There's also 'phantom wetting' where you feel like your baby has wee'd but they haven't - think that's if they're not wearing nappies.

For people who do practice Ec'ing the point can be that it's more comfortable for a baby not to wear nappies especially dirty ones, you save on nappies, you're more in tune with your baby, toilet training is never an issue as it's just part of life from the start, sure there's loads more - I'm not an expert. According to the ec'ing theory babies know when they need to wee at the start then lose knowing as they wear nappies, ec'ing helps them keep that knowledge.

My OH's co-worker did it with their daughter and I have been reading up on it since I heard about it. From everything I read and heard about from her I will definitely try it - but she didn't go diaperless all the time!! Basically she would use cues, etc when her daughter was awake - she always wore a diaper at night. They got it to the point where she was only using 3-4 diaper a day, then 1-2, and she was completely out of diapers at just before 1.5 years. It really made her daughter aware of her body sooner and she was out of diapers sooner as a result. They didn't just take off her diaper and stare at her butt waiting for something to happen LOLOL!!! :rofl: She would wear diapers during the day too they just learned her cues and would take the diaper off beforehand. I am definitely going to have a meeting with her and pick her brain!! :D
xx

But children are allready being made to grow up too soon as it is, i dont get why you would make them have to grow up, wether they are ready to or not at such a young age. Dont get me started on sex ed at the age of 5.

How is it making children 'grow up'? It's a really gentle method with no pressure or stress. The whole point of it is to help your baby use a potty in the most relaxed way possible.

I've put Hebe on the potty to poo since she was about 6 months old. I dont always get it but she did start a pattern of doing it straight after her tea so I just saved a nappy by putting her on the potty! :lol:

That's Ec'ing!!! If you read diaper-free baby this is one of the ways of doing it that is suggested :D You could make a cueing sound when she's weeing / pooing then the idea is that once she's learnt the cueing sound you can make it to let her know she's in the right place to go if she wants to :thumbup:

I'd intended to give ec'ing a go from birth but with all the feeding problems etc I never got round to it. I'm just starting doing what you now are by putting Elliot on the potty when I change his nappy. I've 'caught' one wee so far. If he doesn't want to be sitting on the potty I don't make him and I've read to him a couple of times while he's been sitting on it happily. I intend to just have him in a cloth nappy with no wrap so I can see if I can spot any pattern to him going when we've got some time at home together.

i've recently oticed daisy stops paying attention to what she's doind for a few seconds before she pee's and (quite unladylike) opens her legs!!!! :rofl: especially if she is nappy free!! lol bless her its quite sweet!!!

if we're having nappy free time i can usually(if i'm quick enough) catch her wee with a folded up terry square :thumbup:

I'm not sure I'd be successful trying this with Cassidy, she wees so frequently she would spend her entire baby life sat on the potty! As for number 2's.... Well she will be normal one minute then suddenly there will be a loud rumble, loud enough to rival an earthquake and she'll have finished! I used to know that she would poop every evening just after her feed before bed but she's stopped doing that now! These days, possibly because of breast feeding I can never be sure when she's about to pop!

I do read a lot of history books, and though I have never really read into the history of clothing, or childcare it does crop up sometimes in my reading. Nappies are referred to frequently in my British history books.

For as long as there have been babies, there has been mess; but how parents have contended with that mess has changed over time and varied from culture to culture. Some Native American tribes packed grass under rabbit skins to contain their infants' waste. Inuits placed moss under sealskin. In Japan during the Edo era (1603–1868), farmers used an ejiko, a wooden bassinet layered with absorbent materials topped by a mattress with a hole cut out for the baby's buttocks. Urine was collected by the lower layers of ash, rags, and straw, and the baby stayed dry while the parents worked. In many warm places, even today, toddlers simply go naked below the waist or, as in China, have pants with a hole cut out of the bottom.

In Europe in the Middle Ages, babies were swaddled in long, narrow bands of linen, hemp, or wool. The groin was sometimes left unwrapped so that absorbent "buttock clothes" of flannel or linen could be tucked underneath.

In the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries in Europe, babies were infrequently bathed or changed. When swaddling clothes were removed to attend to babies' waste, the infants' bottoms were usually just wiped without soap or water and then powdered with absorbent worm-eaten wood dust. Urine-soaked swaddling clothes were dried in front of the fire without being washed and then used again. Urine was believed to have disinfecting properties and filth was often considered protective for infants. It was not until the end of the eighteenth century that doctors began to recommend that cloths used as diapers be changed promptly.

Thanks raf, that's really interesting! x

Thank god we dont live in the 17th or 18th century!!!

I have thought about starting to put jasmine on the toilet once I see her poop face, but im not sure if i'd be quick enough.

Freya poos every morning, always with her nappy off. I don't recognise any signs, I just think must be about time for a poo now, lol, take her nappy off and she does it. I don't think she likes to poo with a nappy on. Handy really! I haven't ever had a stained nappy, they all look good as new!! :rofl:

Must remember to watch out for you selling cloth!! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->