Eliza enters the world, eventually! (long)

foxforce

Mummy & Pregnant
Reaction score
It all began early hours of Thursday morning 30th June 2011 approximately 0200 hours period type cramps, I was able to get back to sleep in between these pains they were coming every 20-30mins and lasting a minute. I was overdue by 2 days, due date 28th June, we didn't know what we were having. This pain continued through the day contractions being quite irregular, I carried on as normal all day but hoped this was the start of things beginning to happen. By the evening the pains began to get more intense and they were becoming more frequent, so I washed my hair and showered got some bits together as I had a feeling things would probably get moving later in the night.

By 2200 hours the contractions were coming every 5 -10 mins not very regular and lasting 1 - 1minute 30 seconds, I had been diagnosed with Group Strep B + and advised to call labour ward once my contractions were at this stage, they said to take 2 cocodamols and try stick it out until I was getting 3 contractions in 5 mins, ok. I was struggling, couldn't really sit or stand still, so I was pacing the house timing the contractions. It got to 0100 hours Friday 1st July and I could no longer stand the pain my contractions were 2-3 every 5 minutes and lasting 1 minute so my dh phoned back the labour ward, we were told that there was no room for me to go up to my local hospital (BRI ) the maternity assessment was full! The only local hospital that was accepting was St James's in Leeds which is a 20-30 minute drive at this time in the morning. So off we went to Leeds....

Once in assessment I was assessed by a lovely mw, only to find out I was only 1cm dilated! :cry: but I was fully effaced, the mw said don't be disheartened as my cervix was paper thin so the contractions were doing something, but I felt devastated to have been in this pain for so long and to have so far to go still. She rang my local hospital to see if we could get a bed there in the next few hours but they were not going to be accepting for a while, so she arranged for a bed on an antenatal ward and got us a side room so dh could stay, as we lived 30 mins away, and then gave me a shot of diamorphine to help with the pain but to also help me rest while I hopefully further dilate.

It helped fantastically with the pain, took it away totally so I did rest but didn't sleep. By 10am my pains had returned the mw checked me out, I still had not dilated very much another 1cm so now 2cm :nope: argh I went and had a bath, this did not help the pains, so I then got the entonox (gas & air) to help and they also gave me some morphine, this wasn't as strong as the diamorphine and didn't feel to help at all with the pain nor did the gas and air. They had started to give me benzyl penicillin (antibiotic)for my Strep b as I needed to have this i my system before I got into established labour. But it must have helped take the edge of the pain surely! By 12pm I was 4cm dilated and the labour ward would accept me yay :happydance:

Once in labour ward I met my mw another lovely lady and we discussed epidural and pain relief and decided to have it as I was progressing so slowly and my pain was so bad, within 15 mins the anaesthetist was in my room, wow your quick I said, the procedure was painless, unfortunately they did not do mobile epidurals so I would be bed bound.
Within 15 mins the epidural was taking effect, fantastic!

To cut a very long story short it took me all day and night to get dilated to 7cms :cry: And once at 7cms I stayed there, they gave me a drug to make me dilate more, they had given me 3 doses of the antibiotic, they also had put a drip up of fluids as I was beginning to dehydrate, anti embolisim stockings as my feet were swelling, they had caterterised me. By 0100 I had fully dilated to 10cms :happydance: I could start to push ...

This was the hardest thing, pushing when you have no sensation of pushing, apparently I was doing well but the baby was not coming out :nope: I had a slight pain in my hip when a contraction came which helped me know as well as the mw telling me from the heart rate monitor After an hour of pushing and no sign of baby's head coming, they could see her but she kept disappearing back up the canal. Her heart rate was holding up fine not dropping at all, thank god.
The consultant was called for an opinion on what was best to do next, he advised that he would need to use forceps, my heart sank, I had seen this procedure done on One Born Every Minute and it had put me off watching the programme again as it was so traumatic!

Lots of people appeared in my room - like they came from out of the woodwork! And all seemed very focused. The dr was then down with the forceps putting them in me and moving them about but not letting me push, he then said he would need to cut me, then the time came to push, there was lots of pulling going on with the forceps and sensation of the movement inside me without feeling any pain, I then started o slide off the bed with every contraction as the dr was pulling at my little baby, it was not a nice feeling as I could only think of my little baby :(

Alas out into the world and on my chest was a newborn baby, and the mw was asking my dh what the sex was to tell me and he was stumbling as he could not tell at first, he then said 'It's a girl!' I burst into tears, in utter disbelief and couldn't believe what had just happened! @ 0238 hours - over 48 hours since my pains started. Very little sleep for 3 days. She weighed 7lb 5oz

Eliza then was taken away as she had not cried properly, and it seemed a life time until she did but it came, phew.

I then needed stitching up, this took some time, I lost a lot of blood, but not too much to need a transfusion. Eliza had some marks on her head and face from the forceps and was quite swollen too. These faded quickly almost before your eyes.

I stayed in delivery room until lunch the next day and I had urinated enough for the staff to be happy, I then went to post natal ward.

Eliza was gorgeous, perfect and healthy. I was elated and in shock she was mine! Still feels surreal a week later :cloud9::cloud9:

Attachments

• Leeds-20110702-00016.jpg
    Leeds-20110702-00016.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Leeds-20110702-00018.jpg
    Leeds-20110702-00018.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Bradford-20110703-00052[3].jpg
    Bradford-20110703-00052[3].jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 19
Awweww traumatic but a lovely ending!
We both like the name eliza lol my little 4 th old is also called eliza.

Congratulations huni x

Congrats hun! She is beautiful. Your story sounds shockingly similar to mine! I was in labor 18 hrs before going to hospital, contractions hard and fast and I was only 2 cm! Total labor 34 hrs and they used a vacuum to help get her out. They cut me and then I tore because she was so big. But I did end up with a blood transfusion. Glad your LO is safe and sound. a perfect cupcake! What were her measurements?

Thanks for sharing.
She looks totally worth all the pain. Congratulations xx

Sorry forgot to say, Eliza weighed 7lb 5oz

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g