Elliott's Birth Story (long)

sassysas03

Reaction score
I haven't posted since the 1st trimester but I will be more sociable from now on :)

My due dates kept changing and ranged from the 10th dec to the 15th dec. On thursday the 9th I had my "show" but I tried to not get my hopes up as it could still be another couple of weeks before things got a move on. On friday the 10th I woke up with backache and cramping and decided that I would keep very active hoping that it would help things along. so of to town I went and did lots of window shopping,etc...by the time I waddled back home late afternoon the cramping was getting a lot stronger.

I went to the toilet at around 6pm as something didn't feel quite right. To my pleasant suprise I discovered that my waters were leaking :happydance: I phoned delivery who then asked me to come in to be checked over. By the time we got to the hospital (8pm) I was having mild contractions. A midwife examined me and confirmed that my waters were indeed leaking and that I was 1cm dilated. She then went on to explain that she was happy for me to return home and that I now had up to 96 hours for nature to do its thing before they would inducing me. I explained to her that I would not be happy to wait that long due to risk of infection and asked to be induced after 24hours. The midwife seemed happy with my reason and asked me to phone sunday morning to ensure there was a bed available.

It was about 1am by the time we got back home. The contractions were starting to get stronger,so I took a couple of paracetamol and went to bed in the hope to get some sleep. By 5am the contractions were too strong for me to sleep through them so I got up and ran myself a warm bath which eased the pain a little bit. By 8am the contractions were coming every 4-5minutes and were lasting 40-50seconds. I phoned delivery who told me not to rush in as they had no beds available. We waited until 9.30am by which time I asked DH to get the car ready (speed bumps and contractions don't get on well). There were still no beds available on delivery so we had to wait in the waiting room. After an hour and a half my contractions became less regular and I was sent to the day unit for monitoring. After 30 minutes of monitoring came to check on the readings and discovered that Elliott's heart rate kept dropping with each contraction, so I was shipped back of to delivery for closer monitoring (might be worth mentioning that I was minutes away from an emergency c-section the previous weekend as Elliott's heartrate was to high(170bpm-190bpm) but it got cancelled after it returned to normal and stayed there).

Once back in delivery I was put back on monitoring. The contractions were getting more intense but stayed at every 4 minutes but for some reason they were not showing up on the monitor :shrug: As the contractions got stronger they were radiating down my legs to the extend that it felt like someone was trying to pull my legs off. By now I was crying through my contractions as I didn't know what to do with myself. The midwife said that I could have some gas and air but she will not examine me as once they do that they'd have to commit themselves to delivering me ](*,) (I thought that's what a delivery suit was for) By this point DH was getting rather stressed and asked the midwife if he should take me to another hospital where someone could commit themselves to delivering our baby to which she responded that there would be no point as it was the weekend :growlmad:

By now it was about 2pm and was told that I need to go to the ward as they needed the delivery room but I could have some pethidine should I want it. We couldn't believe our ears. I told DH to not let them move me as there was no way I could be on a ward whilest going through this. Another midwife came in and checked the monitoring. Elliott's heartrate was slowly creeping up again which we pointed out to her. She seemed to take note and left the room. After a while the same consultant I had last week came and examined me. I was still only 1cm dilated :cry: the consultant informed me that they will be taking me down to theatre and perform an emergency c-section as something wasn't right with Elliott. Everything just went mad then, loads of people where in and out of the room, drips were put up and consent forms were signed. I was wheeled down to theatre and it took 3 attempts to get the spinal in as I couldn't sit still with the contractions.
Once i layed down they put the screen up and DH was talking to me trying to distract me. Before we knew it the anaethatist said "there's the head" and then we heard Elliott's first cry at which point I was in tears again but they were happy tears for once.

Elliott Peter was born on the 11th december at 16:44, weighing in at 7lbs 12oz and 58cm long :cloud9:

It took about 2 hours to stitch me back together as my womb wasn't doing something (don't know what) but they let me have skin to skin while we were waiting. We stayed in hospital for 3 nights and Elliott was being monitored closely for signs of infection due to my waters breaking the day before (he even had to have blood cultures done,poor little man). Once we got the all clear we went home and had our 1st christmas as a proper little family :cloud9:

Attachments

• Photo0280.jpg
    Photo0280.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 101_0770.jpg
    101_0770.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 101_0782.jpg
    101_0782.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 17
Congratulations he's just adorable xx

Users who are viewing this thread