Elsie's here!! My traumatic story!

tannembaum

Little Elsie bums mum!
Reaction score
So I'm writting my birth story to kinda get my head around everything that happened. It's all a bit jumbled in my head so sorry if its a bit confusing!

I suppose my story starts on Sunday 6th June. At 9:30 to I get a call from the hospital inviting me in for my induction. I start rushing around "doing stuff" even put on a full face of make up as I wanted to look nice for photos :haha: I also made OH stop at asda on the way as I decided I needed a new night shirt!!

We make it to the hospital at 10:30 and have to wait a while to get my first pessary as there was an emergency in the labour ward. I was set up on a trace and had an internal which showed I was still 3cm. We get the go ahead from the labour ward and I get my first pessary. 7 hours later The only thing happening is back ache and occassional stomach cramps, got another internal which showed I was still 3cms and the pessary didn't do anything. A descision was made to go to the delivery ward to get my waters broken (even though I was told I would get 4 tries with the pessaries) Which I wasn't overly happy with but didn't really get a choice!!

I think we got to the labour ward about 8:30, I was put on another trace and got settled in. At about 9:40 my waters were broken (gosh it hurt!!) and contactions started almost imediately!! I was told I had 2 hours to progress or I would be put on a drip to speed things up (this was so far away from the drug free water birth I wanted!)
Contractions started coming thick and fast - every 2 mins and lasting 1 min, I'm quite proud that I put up with the pain for 2 hours with nothing but pain killers and breathing through the pain!

I was checked at about 11 to see how much I had progressed and was told I was only 4cms which was quite disheartening and was told I had to stay straped to the trace machine and be put on a drip :(

The anaesthetist came to fit the drip and had serious problems getting it into a vein he tried 5 times all over my arms and at one stage put it in wrong and it hurt so much (this was the only time I cried during the whole labour!!) this took about an hour and happened inbetween each contraction. The anaesthetist then had a long convo with me about having an epidural (which I didn't want) but he managed to convince me to get on fitted and I could use it if I felt I needed it or I could just leave it.
Getting the epidural was horrid!! and by this stage my contactions were getting a bit unmanagable as I was made to sit still (whilst still strapped upto the trace) so was finally allowed gas and air whilst the epidural was done which was amazing and made me realise how much I really didn't want the epidural!! But I was still made to have a "tester" to make sure it had worked which lasted for 20 mins, it did help with the pain to an extent but it didn't work well on my left side and actually focused all the pain onto one area (my plevis where my SPD was worst) the midwife then decided to fit a clip to my babies head as the trace machine wasn't picking up her heart beat.
Its now that things start to get a bit hazy, we could hear babies heart beat slow down and miss beats and the midwife when to get someone for a second opinion, the second midwfe said it wasn't a problem but the next thing I know about 5-6 pepole run into the room and throw some scrubs to OH, strap an oxygen mask on my face and say they are taking me to surgery for a section as baby is in distress. They actually ran me down to surgery and started jabbing me which needles etc and spraying my legs with water to see if i could still feel them, they had to keep increasing the epidural as my left side wasn't numbing properly, I then went numb upto my shoulders. People were still rushing around everywhere getting things ready (I think this was definately the scariest thing I have ever gone through) I then "felt" the incision and the "tugging" feeling you hear about (its so odd)
They pulled the baby out at 1.21am on 7th June weighing 5lbs 10 and a half and waiting for her to cry felt like a life time and they wouldn't tell us if she was okay, but finally she cried (and so did me and OH) they brought her over to me to hold but I could only manage a second with her is I was too numb so OH held her while they stitched me up. Things then started to go a bit wrong for me, my BP kept falling extremely low and I was convulsing all over which was scary, they put something in my drip that helped for a little while but my BP kept falling and wouldn't stableise. Finally I was wheeled into recovery and things finally calmed down for us :)

It turns out my labour progressed too fast (it was just over 4 hours long)
at 11:40 when checked I was 4cms and then just before I was rushed to theater I was 8cms and then in the seconds it took to run to theater I was 10cms!!

Elsie is happy an healthy so I'm happy with the end result but the whole ordeal has put me off of having any more children as I would be just too scared!!

So sorry you had such a scary ordeal, but congrats on yoiur baby girl.
xxx

well i'm glad it all turned out ok in the end and please please don't let a bad experience put you off hun, sounds like you were bossed about too much, similar happened to me with this cow of a widwife and becuase you're so frightened and just want everything to be ok, you have to go along wot it all. but you can always have next baby somwhere else! anyway, i reckon you and OH and LO all did an amazing job and huge congratulations to you both xxx

congrats ,glad all turned out well.xxx

wow hun, sorry your experience was so traumatic. :hugs: glad yur little girl is ok though. congrats. xx

Sounded like you had a tough time but happy you and your little girl are doing all right

congrats :)
glad ur both ok!!
& that sounds horrible ... u must have been sooo scared!!
but ur both ok :)

love her name too!

xx

huge congrats hun, sorry you had a scary time, it sounds similar to my first sons birth (((hugs))) huge congrats on your little girl hun xxxx

Wow it's so weird reading this, I remember so much more now.

When Elsie was 6 months old I decided going through it all again wouldn't be too bad :haha: and now we are ttc #2 :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->