Embarasing but I need some advice

AlwaysPraying

Mom of two!
Reaction score
I found out today that I have bv (bacterial vaginosis). I made it through my pg without it but have it now a year later.

It's no big deal really, I just wanted to ask about treatment. My dr gave me a steroid cream. Ive been looking up and it seems like I should have an antibiotic or something like that? The cream will help the itching and dryness but not the cause. My dr says that I need to lay off sugar starch and carbs and things will get back to balance.

Anyone have experience with this? Does this sound normal?

You mean like thrush? I had thrush all the way through my pregnancy with Madi. Its a very common yeast infection. The cream does help with the itching.. but you do need something else. There is a pill you can take. Or a pessary... Not the nicest things, but will do the job. Put it in at night though... :)

I've had recurrent BV infections for years, there's not a lot you can do to prevent them as it's all to do with the PH balance up there and natural fluctuations in bacteria lol. Antibiotics will usually clear it up - I've had metronidazole tablets and clindamycin pessaries, I preferred the latter.

I would question the steroid cream, it's not a typical BV treatment. While an adjusted diet may help any recurrence, it's unlikely to fix this current bout of it without help from an appropriate medication.

BTW, BV is the exact opposite of thrush - thrush occurs at a low PH and BV at the higher end. You need an antifungal treatment to get rid of thrush. Antibiotics can make thrush worse or trigger an infection (the yeast takes over when good bacteria are destroyed).

She did tell me to change my diet. And the steroid is supposed to help the symptoms. She did say to come back in a few days if it's still there. It's not bad at all just a little annoying. I honestly thought it was the body wash I was using.

I'll go back next week if it's not cleared up and ask about antibiotics. She said it wasn't an infection though. Just more of an irritation.

Could the mildness of it make sense as to why the no antibiotic?

Dont be embarrassed! It is just where the normal flora has gone a bit unbalanced and a bit too alkaline. Your vag' usually has a predominnace of lactobaccilli but for some reason can be overcome by other flora such as gardnerella. Your new shower wash could have caused it, as well as stress, wearing thongs, anaemia, etc.

I think Clindamycin and Metronidazole (Flagyl) are the usual treatments. Some people suggest eating probiotics.:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->