Embryo is low in my uterus & measuring a week behind. Experiences?

Oswin

Reaction score
So I've just had an early nhs scan. I thought I was about 7 weeks, but embryo is measuring at 5weeks 6 days. Saw the heartbeat though, so am I right in thinking that it's nothing to worry about?
Also, on my notes the sonographer put "gestational sac is a little low lying in body of uterus" - I, of course, have now gone Google crazy, and found that it's best if the bubba has implanted on the top of the uterus, so I'm freaking a little. Anyone any experience of these??

All three of my babies measured a week behind at the first scan, but by 12 weeks (for the first 2, I'm not there yet with this one) were caught up based on LMP. They are really small at this stage and it is quite easy to mis-measure.

As for where baby implanted, it is just a comment. They will continue to monitor it, the only thing that I can think of is that you might end up with the placenta developing over your cervix/opening... in which case *if* it hasn't moved by the time you are going to go into labour you will have to discuss birthing options with your doc.

Don't stress love. Seeing the HB is fantastic news :flower:

Sometimes you can ovulate later than you thought and sizes of embryos in the beginning can vary a lot! I wouldn't worry, little one will catch up!

Congrats on baby!! Is this your first pregnancy? Have you had a c section before?

Sounds like all is good :)

Congrats on baby!! Is this your first pregnancy? Have you had a c section before?

Sounds like all is good :)
Thank you! Nope, i have a little boy too, and yes to c section. Why?

I want to say first that I don't want to scare you at all, I'm sure all is good.

But I had an unusual situation where the baby had implanted low, on my c-section scar. It is very rare, but can be an issue, so I would ask if the baby has implanted on your scar, it's so rare that they often don't know to look for it, it was missed for me by 2 different u/s techs.

Since this has happened to me already once (again very very very rare) for future pregnancies they are checking early to see where the baby has implanted.

Good luck and keep me posted.

I want to say first that I don't want to scare you at all, I'm sure all is good.

But I had an unusual situation where the baby had implanted low, on my c-section scar. It is very rare, but can be an issue, so I would ask if the baby has implanted on your scar, it's so rare that they often don't know to look for it, it was missed for me by 2 different u/s techs.

Since this has happened to me already once (again very very very rare) for future pregnancies they are checking early to see where the baby has implanted.

Good luck and keep me posted.
Thank you. What does it mean for the baby?

Eep, googling has freaked me out, as apparently one of the signs is the embryo being right up against the wall, which mine was.

I'm sorry I really really didn't want to freak you out, and it's really unlikely, but the impacts are serious enough.

For me it was called an "ectopic on the c-section scar", wasn't good, but like I said really unlikely but important to confirm that it's not, because they can deal with it if they know early. With me they didn't and there was a big trickle down effect.

Don't google... :) ... maybe I shouldn't have said anything I just have gone through a lot and really would like no one else to have to go through what I have...

I'm sorry I really really didn't want to freak you out, and it's really unlikely, but the impacts are serious enough.

For me it was called an "ectopic on the c-section scar", wasn't good, but like I said really unlikely but important to confirm that it's not, because they can deal with it if they know early. With me they didn't and there was a big trickle down effect.

Don't google... :) ... maybe I shouldn't have said anything I just have gone through a lot and really would like no one else to have to go through what I have...

Thanks. Did you have any symptoms?

I had normal pregnancy symptoms, ms etc. I had an u/s at 7.5 weeks, baby measured 6.5, the heart was beating but it was so slow that they couldn't measure it. Went back at 8.5 weeks and the heart was not beating and the baby still measured 6.5 weeks.

They didn't discover that they baby had implanted on my scar until 4 weeks later...

Again I'm sure you're fine, you said the tech commented that it was "a little lower" which is waaay more than mine ever noted so I would assume the comment would have said "near the scar" or "on the scar" etc..

I had normal pregnancy symptoms, ms etc. I had an u/s at 7.5 weeks, baby measured 6.5, the heart was beating but it was so slow that they couldn't measure it. Went back at 8.5 weeks and the heart was not beating and the baby still measured 6.5 weeks.

They didn't discover that they baby had implanted on my scar until 4 weeks later...

Again I'm sure you're fine, you said the tech commented that it was "a little lower" which is waaay more than mine ever noted so I would assume the comment would have said "near the scar" or "on the scar" etc..
how come it took 4 weeks? X

Because I had miscarried and they thought it was all normal, but I was still getting a really positive hpt... I ended up admitted in the hospital because when I miscarried some tissue stayed stuck in my scar and continued to grow...

Both of the OBs at the hospital had 30 years experience each, both high risk OB's and neither had ever actually seen one of these.

There was no way I would have known to ask that question... but if I had it could have saved me from a lot of the stuff I had to go through..

Both of the OBs at the hospital had 30 years experience each, both high risk OB's and neither had ever actually seen one of these.

There was no way I would have known to ask that question... but if I had it could have saved me from a lot of the stuff I had to go through..

Hey, how did they find it eventually? What did they look for?

They can tell from the ultrasound, but it's so unusual that the techs don't always comment or note exactly where it is since they don't all know that it can be a problem. For me it didn't get flagged. Most u/s technicians have never seen it, which is why I wish I knew to ask. When I finally got admitted to the hospital there was a really good u/s tech and she knew right away, here where I live the doctors don't usually go in for u/s, the tech said to me "hold on don't change the doctor might want to see this himself"... I was very thankful that she caught it, and was a little upset that 2 previous u/s techs had missed it, but understand.

I am sorry I don;t have much advice for you but I am in the same situation. Should be almost 7 weeks baby measured 6 weeks exactly and the u/s tech was concerned as baby was very very low down in the uterus just above the cervix. She said it might correct itself or as someone else said, the placenta may form over the cervix meaning natural birth is not an option.

Though apparently sometimes, as the uterus grows from the bottom, the baby came move upwards. I am really hoping this happens. Do you have another scan soon? They invited me back in a week to check

I am sorry I don;t have much advice for you but I am in the same situation. Should be almost 7 weeks baby measured 6 weeks exactly and the u/s tech was concerned as baby was very very low down in the uterus just above the cervix. She said it might correct itself or as someone else said, the placenta may form over the cervix meaning natural birth is not an option.

Though apparently sometimes, as the uterus grows from the bottom, the baby came move upwards. I am really hoping this happens. Do you have another scan soon? They invited me back in a week to check
Hey, no, they didn't even mention it to me, i guess as it's not extremely low down, just not at the top where it should be. Hope all goes well for you. Try not to worry about the dates, my son measured a week behind this early too xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->