Emergency CPR for babies under the age of one

Hi

There is an organisation in South of England who run courses on cpr and choking. www.babyresusciation.co.uk. I am going in a few weeks as we get nothing like that in this area. In fact when I asked my consulatant when I was pg about he a just shrugged and said call 999.....:wacko:

xx

This is a really good idea, thankyou!

I've just signed up to do a peadiatric first aid course at my local sure start centre, ites free of charge and they even provide the child care (its a two hour course). So if anyone is interested in doing a course it might be worth calling your local sure start centre and asking if they have anything planned.

I'm doing mine at the moment and it's fantastic! I also recommend going on the course.

I did a first aid course many years ago and I can't remember a thing about cpr for babies, but I do remember that with adults, if you could feel a pulse but no breathing you should only do rescue breaths and not chest compressions, if no breathing and no pulse then give rescue breaths and chest compressions.

Can someone please comfirm that this doesn't apply to babies, and that chest compressions should always be given? thanks

No, chest compressions should only be given if there is no pulse. The first two posts describe rescue breaths for when there is a pulse but no breathing. The rest describes full CPR

No, chest compressions should only be given if there is no pulse. The first two posts describe rescue breaths for when there is a pulse but no breathing. The rest describes full CPR

Thanks for that, i must have miss read the first post :)

I did a first aid course at work while I was pregnant and the nice guy running it added in a part on babies for me, I'm glad I did it as last week Flynn choked, he could still breath a little as he was gasping but I managed to give him a couple of pats to the back and combined with flipping him out of te highchair and across my knee managed to dislodge the food, luckily it wasn't really serious choking and didn't need the hospital it was mostly just a warning I think and gave me a kick up the arse, it could have been a lot worse and I was proud of myself that I didn't panic and just did what I was taught.
Like I said it wasn't a majorly serious incident, chances are he would have coughed it up himself but I proved to myself how important it was to do the first aid course and how important it is to supervise babies when they are eating.
An autistic lady I used to support died recently from choking, she was with two carers who were both first aid trained but there was nothing they could do as they both panicked.

Most important is to stay calm, you can break down in hysterics after everyone is safe.

Does anyone know how i can go about getting on a course in the uk ??

Last month my baby stopped breathing, she had a bad chest infection and chocked on her own mucas it went back into her lungs and I couldn't revive her for what seemed like a lifetime to me, paramedics were at my house within a few minutes, but I re-live that moment and it has me in tears I cannot think about it.

I just wish I knew then how to deal with it then. All I knew to do was flip her up-side-down and bash her back.

Don't know if I have responded to this before but thank you for posting this! I am going to go and get certified as soon as they offer another class : )

Thanks for this, its something every Mum should know x

Thank you so much! I hope I NEVER EVER have to use this but its good to know just in case!

I have just been on a red toss baby and child first aid course . These are run once a month across the country and highly recommend as covers a number of emergency procedures also babies under 12 months is different to a child over 12months as to how to give CPR or deal with choking etc.

It is now recommended not to clear a persons airway especially not to put your finger inside their mouth if you see an object.

First aid videos can be found on the Red Cross website which cover a number of different topics however would highly recommend their baby child course for £45

This is the first time I've noticed this sticky thread. Wish I'd seen it sooner

I did I paed first aid course years ago. Never thought I'd have to use it by my little
Boy stopped breathing in January and I have to admit I forgot everything as just froze and cried and screamed. :( I felt so bad but apparently it's very common to just freeze even f you know what your supposed to be doing xx

Hi

There is an organisation in South of England who run courses on cpr and choking. . I am going in a few weeks as we get nothing like that in this area. In fact when I asked my consulatant when I was pg about he a just shrugged and said call 999.....

xx

This is very relevant, thank you, as my sister has this issue, I will forward to her!

I did a 1st Aid course at work and our instructor thankfully went over child/baby CPR and chocking I am so pleased he was able to do this for me

Every mom should know this , I wish I would have known this before this past saturday I actually had to start cpr on Madison for a bad reflux spell that made her stop breathing . She is fine now and under the care of her drs . Please take the time to learn cpr it can save your babys life ! Check your local hospitals mine does a free infant cpr course every week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->