Empty gestation sac - dates say I should be 13 weeks....

NewlyMrs

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I was wondering if I could get some advice.

Yesterday I went for a scan and there was no baby to be seen, no yolk sac only a just an empty gestation sac.

My last period was 12 October but I do have polycystic ovaries and varying cycles so I don't know when I conceived. I found out I was pregnant on 11 December so at that point I would have thought I was at least four weeks pregnant so to date, I was expecting to be between eight and nine weeks pregnant which I know can show up on a scan.

On the scan report it says that I need to be rescanned in two weeks and that if my EDD was correct I would be 13 weeks and three days pregnant which I doubt anyway. It also says that the yolk sac was not seen and the embryo was inconclusive but does say that it could possibly be an early intrauterine Pregnancy.

I am really worried because I can't seem to get the dates to add up, if I had only just found out I was pregnant I would be calmer because I would think that in two weeks there is a possibility that something would show up. But because I found out on 11 December which was a good five weeks ago, I just don't understand why nothing was in the sac.

Oh I forgot to say there was actually something in the sac, the sonographer just didn't know what it was and said that she couldn't say that It was a baby because of the shape and when she tried to measure it showed that I was 2 1/2 weeks pregnant which is ridiculous. To be fair, our sonographer was absolutely lovely, she was so kind, she said that the measurements don't mean anything because my dates are not certain.

Has anyone had any similar experience of this, am I doomed or is there hope?

Thanks for reading :hugs:

Sorry the scan didn't show a baby hun. Was the scan abdominal or internal?
. By this point you should really have seen baby and heartbeat.
I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic. I would personally be preparing myself for the worst, but you never know- stranger things have happened. Good luck.

Im so sorry hun, by your first initial pregnancy test you should have been at the very least just over 3 weeks pregnant to even get a positive hpt, plus the 5 weeks since that test, it could make you at the very least 8/9 weeks. Youd be able to see a baby and heartbeat by now. So sorry :cry:

Massive hugs xxx my sister had the same thing :( she lives in Australia so I guess the do tings differently but they were checking her pregnancy hormone levels every other day as the sac was empty but her levels kept going up and down ... I'm so sorry but no baby came out of her experience although she shortly became pregnant with my little nephew soon after xx wishing you loads of luck though ! Xxxxx

So sorry you are going through this :hugs: I also got my bfp on 11th December and am 9 weeks today. Have had 2 scans and touch wood so far have seen baby and a heartbeat. As the other girls are saying, you should have been able to see a baby and heartbeat today given when you tested positive. So many people do fall pregnant very quickly after a blighted ovum (where a sac grows but no baby) and I hope this is the case for you too xx

I'm sorry sorry you are going through this. This sounds my first pregnancy which was a blighted ovum T_T only a gestation sac but no baby. I really hope that is not the case though!

So sorry to hear that you are going through this. It is very devastating. Sounds like a blighted ovum if I'm honest with you.. I had one with my last pregnancy. I am currently pregnant again and live in fear of it happening again but I know that it is very unusual to have two in a row so try to remain positive.
My Dr told me that it's the body ending the pregnancy early due to chromosome abnormalities.
Take care of yourself and wishing you all the best :hugs:

Thanks everyone for your replies.

It's so frustrating. How can I feel sooo pregnant, it's almost cruel. If I had bleeding or pain it might be easier to accept. Now I have a horrendous 2 week wait for my next scan. I don't know if I feel better or worse but I do truly appreciate everyone's honesty and concern.

Thank you x

It's is very cruel I agree, especially as you can get all of the normal symptoms as the sac is still producing hormones and the HCG still rises. In my case I had a lack of symptoms so there's no way of ever telling. It's just not fair at all. Really hope these two weeks pass quickly for you so you can get some answers X

Hi,

I've unfortunately had two miscarriages and my last one sounds similar to yours. I was good, no bleeding and sick throughout the first trimester. Went for the scan and same - a sac but no baby �� it was devastating and they made me wait a week and have a second scan, but nothing changed. The sac grew but still no baby. They said that as the sac was growing that was why I felt pregnant and didn't bleed.

I'm sorry this is happening. I remember he hospital were very 'matter of fact' about it whereas we were devastated. They were lovely though.

The miscarriage section on here - if the worst happens - were wonderful and supportive for me both times.

It could turn out positive. They said to me that my dates could be wrong but I knew my dates inside out as I was testing for ovulation and tracking my periods so I was confident.

I am now 6.5 weeks pregnant now and am petrified if I'm honest about it but I know so many people who have had miscarriages and gone on to have healthy babbas.

Massive hugs to you xxxx

Hi I wish you all the best,I had a late AF in Nov which made me ovulate later so my date are total different and dont match my last AF date so they have gone off how big baby is When I went for a early scan on 28th Dec there was just a sac and then 2 weeks later a Baby - I would wait and see what happens xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->