Empty gestational sac

DaisyQ

Reaction score
Last Thursday I had my first scan - abdominal and transvaginal, for dating purposes. I was late to the appointment and it was a bit rushed, but the ultrasound tech found only an empty sac, no fetal pole and no yolk sac. Based on my typical ovulation date and CM observations, I thought I was about 7-8 weeks along (closer to 8), but the sac size was 17.8mm, so that puts me at 6 weeks, 5 days. I'm not sure whether to be hopeful because maybe I ovulated later than I thought, or had a late implanter, and maybe I'm just earlier - but then I really think that it's unlikely to see nothing on transvaginal ultrasound even at 6 weeks 5 days...

Thoughts?

I go back a week from Thursday (2 weeks from the last ultrasound) for follow up.

Didnt want to read and run! I saw everything on abdominal nd transvaginal ultrasound and 6 weeks even. Really just depends on your body and baby. Good luck to you.

I've seen so many different stories on here. I think it can really vary from pregnancy to pregnancy. With my son we saw him and a heartbeat about 6+5.

How sure are you of your dates? With my 2nd I went for a scan at 8+2 and measured only 5 weeks. There was a fetal pole, but no heartbeat. I was certain of my dates (I'd gotten a bfp at 12 dpo which was 5 weeks earlier so I knew there was no way I was only 5 weeks. So unfortunately I knew it was a missed miscarriage. They did re-scan me a week later which is the only way to know really. I absolutely read though of plenty of pregnancies measuring behind dates at this point that eventually caught up and all was fine. But in my case I knew it just wasn't possible (I'm grateful I got pregnant with this baby immediately after). I think try to stay positive, but also prepare yourself for everything. Fingers crossed for you.

I agree that it depends how sure of your dates you are. In my second pregnancy I'd had a bfp at 8dpo, so when baby was consistently measuring behind (up to 4 days) I had a strong suspicion it was going to be bad news even though there was a strong heartbeat, as I couldn't possibly have had a bfp at 4dpo. I did end up losing that baby. I really hope it's good news for you and I've read some miraculous turnarounds on here before, but if you're sure when you ovulated or you had a bfp at a time that they're now suggesting you must've conceived, it doesn't look to hopeful. Good luck <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->