engorgement on one side only

lotuspetals

Reaction score
Hi ladies-

My right breast has been overproductive and is super engorged. The left breast is fine. I have been pumping the right breast to relieve the swelling, but am now hearing that this can be counterproductive, and that it is best to leave it alone, offer the less productive breast first, and then the engorged one, or not at all, so the supply will diminish. I've read, however, that doing this puts me more at risk for mastitis or blocked ducts.

Anyone experienced anything similar that has advice?

Thanks in advance

I have the same problem right now, so am stalking this thread. It's my right one that's getting engorged too! It's actually visibly (but hopefully not noticeably) larger than the left now.

I don't know if this is right, but I am feeding from both evenly, but if righty is super engorged in the night or morning and it's not righty's turn, I'll have the baby feed off of it just a tiny bit to relieve the engorgement, then drain lefty like normal. I'm hoping things even out, because I do have some redness which could be the beginning of mastitis and I really would rather not go on antibiotics.

I had this exactly. My right breast has ALWAYS produced more, though I have an oversupply with both.

I block feed, so each feeding I switch breasts instead of switching during a feed. That helped a little but not much. Pumping will feel better but will definitely drive your supply up more if you are not careful. What I did was hand express a little to help get rid of some of the engorgement. Warm washcloths help too (but would sometimes cause me to start spraying so have a towel handy!).

If you do feel lumps like you have blocked ducts/mastitis coming on, it helps to have baby nurse on that side. It will help pull the milk through. You can also massage gently (toward your nipple to help the flow) while baby is nursing.

I did get mastitis a couple of times, it is very painful but nursing is best...I did not need antibiotics and was better the next day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->