epilepsy and autism

momof2babies

Reaction score
ds has just gone through an autism evaluation and was diagnosed with expressive and receptive language disorder with autistic traits at first I was relieved that it wasn't an autism diagnosis but they went on to say he fits the behavioral criteria for autism but they don't feel comfortable diagnosing yet because we just got his seizures under control a few months ago and want to give him more time to make sure its not damage from seizures I thought I would be happy to know I wasn't crazy but I think I'm more heartbroken to know that my once outgoing easy going little boy really is slowly reverting into his own little world :cry:

I guess what im asking is does anyone have any encouraging stories do you think it will get better he's only had 6 seizures but they've all been really bad ones hes only been medicated for 3 months anyone with experience with mild brain damage from epilepsy

hiya, I have a 9 year old that was born with severe brain damage, epilepsy and is on the autistic spectrum.
She has around 5 seizures a year, with most of them landing her in intensive care, but her brain scans and eeg results from last year came back showing the same amount of brain damage as she had when she was 1 year old, even though her seizures have been very bad ones with her worst one lasting 118 minutes. Although these illnesses are so scary and hard for us mummy's to come to terms with, what I have learnt is that it is amazing just how strong little people can be :)
I was told my baby would never walk, talk, or live any kind of normal life due to her brain damage but she has proved everyone wrong and can do it all :) I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you but I just wanted to share our positive story with you.

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->