evaluation on Friday :(

Claudia123

Reaction score
We are having an evaluation on friday for my son who is 19 months.
I am so, so petrified of something being majorly wrong, and am having such a hard time coping. I am starting to see a psychiatrist soon because I've been so stressed and am going through depression over this.

He doesn't say much - maybe ten or so words. His receptive language is really great though. He points to things he wants, but doesn't point to a lot of things of interest - this obviously worries me a ton.

I think my biggest concern is he doesn't really engage us in his play. If he plays with mega blocks or his cars it's not like he wants us to join him. He does very often though engage us and initiate a game of chase or peek-a-boo. He loves attention from people, but doesn't seem to put on "shows" for my and DH. If my mom comes over, his grandmother, it's like he demands her attention. Every move he makes he looks to make sure if she is watching, and if she isn't..then he is not happy and does something ridiculous like pretend to fall on the floor to grab her attention.

Just hoping for some honest opinions on this. Is this a huge thing that he doesn't engage us in his play? Does the games of chase, peek a boo and his interactions with people like my mom make up for that?

I don't really have any experience with toddlers and I don't know what is normal.

Thanks.

When my first child was a toddler, she wasn't speaking at al, no words. Her behaviour ticked a lot of boxes on autism check lists. She is not autistic. Some of those behaviours that have stuck today at age 4yrs and 8months are just part of her personality. She likes arranging things in order, she likes things to be done in a set order all the time and she hates change and can become very aggressive/upset because of it. She was also a big pointer, but i think this is because she couldn't talk (she is speech-delayed). The check-lists of behaviour are good way to pick up if something isn't 'normal' but just because they tick a couple of boxes doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Maybe your child to prefers to play by himself. And it's sweet, he really enjoys his grandma's company.

Good luck with the evaluation tomorrow, whatever the outcome I'm sure everything will turn out fine x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->