Eve Mary Goram, 7/8/9 after three days in hospital...(long, sorry!)

lindypops

Lin, Si and Eve
Reaction score
Sunday afternoon, about 3.30: eating Sunday lunch out with the in laws, my waters begin to trickle. I don’t really know what’s going on, but it’s only a little bit so I try not to get too excited or nervous.

Sunday evening: it is definitely my waters, so I ring Medicom – a mw rings back and checks I haven’t had any contractions. I haven’t, so she recommends booking a routine trace for asap Monday and mentions the possibility of induction.

Monday 3.30pm: a trace appointment at the hospital; still no contractions. Though the trace is fine, a consultant tries to persuade (and worry) us into acceptingan induction. We decide to wait and have another trace to see how things are going.

Tuesday 8.30am: another trace. All fine with LO, mw’s are very supportive of our ‘wait and see’ policy and we don’t see the consultant. Through the day, though, I start to get worried about things going wrong and the increasing risk of infection. We decide that even if everything is ok at our Wednesday morning trace, we will accept an induction.

Wednesday 9am: another good trace, but we decided to go into hospital to be induced, tpo put our minds at ease, and they asked us to stay in – we had the bag ready, just in case.

Wednesday noon: first prostin tablet. A bit of pain, not much.

Wednesday 6pm: second prostin tablet. A bit more pain, enough to handle. Enjoyed my TENS machine as a distraction.

Wednesday 1am: DH went home to get proper rest. I was left on a 6-bed ward, listening to the noisiest woman in the world, who was puking and moaning all through the night.

Thursday 9am: I was examined – at 3cms, so the tablets had done as much as they could, but I still wasn’t having regular or strong contractions. Mw gave me a sweep at the same time to see if things could get going. She said either there were more waters or I had a bald baby – she couldn’t tell!

Thusday 1.15: I was given this time to go to delivery suite to break any more waters I might have and get things going on a drip if necessary. Then they rang back – too busy, so I had to carry on waiting. I was next in, though.

Thursday 11pm: still some contractions, still number-one priority. DH sent home, unfortunately.

Friday 2am: had a bath, more pain, lots of frustration, had some gas and air. Mw went over to delivery suite and cam running back as they have space – rang DH to come in, then literally 30 seconds later got another call – three women had called up and we had been put off again! I was really upset and frustrated. DH allowed to stay with me this time.

Friday 11am – in more pain. When mw’s came on I spoke to one and said things were getting more painful and I shouldn’t have to do my labouring in front of other people. Given a side room, more gas and air and another examination (this time I was 5cam) and another sweep. Things started to get much more painful after this! Was shouting a bit.

Friday noon: the lovely mw on the ward said she’d got us into delivery suite by saying she would reogranise her shift and take us herself. I honestly don’t know what would have happened if she hadn’t done this, as then things went really quickly. I didn’t need waters breaking or a drip, as it turned out.

Friday, 3pm: after plenty of pain and a shot of pethedine, I get the urge to push – some checks show that amazingly I’m ready.

Friday 5pm: after nearly two hours of apparently world-class pushing, she isn’t going to come out, probably as I am so tired from my 2 and a half day stay so far. They recommend an assisted delivery.

Friday, 6.30pm: after waiting an hour and half with only gas and air (pethedine worn off; amazingly, another woman comes in before us and is an emergency, so I have to wait *again*), Eve is born using forceps at exactly 7pm. Seven pounds 9 ounces. She’s beautful.

Saturday 4.30pm: after a relaxed night and day on the post-natal ward, I can go home – not before we wait about 7 hours for the doctor to come round and sign us off.

That’s the story – not quite the homebirth I’d wanted...

I’m extremely grateful to all the maternity staff for treating us so well and respecting everything we wanted. I’m furious with the policies of the hospital, which meant that staff weren’t available to give us the ‘woman-centred experience’ we were led to expect.

I’m glad there were no tragedies with the women who gave birth at the same time as us, and incredibly relieved that Eve didn’t get bumped to the top of the queue, having become a similar emergency.

I’m also glad that my hard work meant that I avoided the c-section that they warned us might be necessary.

Sorry it’s so long!!! It was a bit of a saga at the time – almost a week-long experience. Thanks to those of you who shared the pregnancy with me!

Attachments

• DSC_0014c.jpg
    DSC_0014c.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 43
Bless, she is absolutely adorable, congrats xxx

Hey hun that was great! I am really excited reading it all! What a journey! When I had DS it was similar! Sounds like you were a great trooper! Congrats on that gorgeous baby! :hugs:

:hugs: Well done you! She's gorgeous!

I also had a long induction process as you may know! So glad you managed to avoid the drip hun it really throws you straight into full on labour.

By the way....

Fab date of birth!

Massive congratulations hun :happydance: I'm sorry you didn't get the birth you wanted but glad you managed to avoid the c-section :hugs:

She's lovely :thumbup:

Congrats! I can relate to the marathon labour/pushing... I caved and asked for drugs :)

Goodness me what a terrible hospital but glad you got the MW on your side. All worth it in the end and you can forget all about them. COngrats. xxx

yay i found it!!

huge congrats...Eve is just gorgeous.....loved the 'was shouting abit' :rofl:
sorry it didnt go the way u wanted....babies just like to be awkward.....and they never grow out of it! :rofl:

but at least she is here now and she sounds like shes doing brilliantly....as are both of u parents!!!

:hugs:
xxxxxxx

Sorry you didn't get the birth you wanted but it sounds like you did a fab job - you should be very proud of yourself! Eve is beautiful.

Well done hunni, shes fab!

Well done - its all worth it :pink:

xxxxxxxxxxxx

awww congratulations - she is gorgeous x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79