Eveline

kittiecat

Mum to Noah & Ella
Reaction score
Ok so I’m not even pregnant yet, currently going through a Frozen Embryo Transfer cycle and am thinking names to keep me positive and distract my anxious brain.

Anyway for a girl we quite like Eveline with her middle name being Elizabeth after my Mum. But our surname is Martin so am not sure if Eveline Martin goes? It’d be pronounced “ev-uh-lin”.

My middle name is also Eveline which is how I thought of the name. It was after my great grandmother and I’ve always loved it.

So Eveline Martin? Does it work yay or nay? :)

Eveline Elizabeth Martin rolls nicely off the tongue I think :thumbup:

Eveline Elizabeth Martin rolls nicely off the tongue I think :thumbup:
Thanks! Was worried Eveline Martin was a little rhymey but would certainly have a lot of meaning <3

I think it’s lovely but as a teacher I might trip over pronunciation due to the unusual spelling (I teach high school, so with 250+ children per week, some of whom I only see for one hour per week, it can be hard to remember the correct pronunciation of unusually spelled names)

I think it’s lovely but as a teacher I might trip over pronunciation due to the unusual spelling (I teach high school, so with 250+ children per week, some of whom I only see for one hour per week, it can be hard to remember the correct pronunciation of unusually spelled names)
That’s fair enough. It’s one of those names that’s tricky with pronunciation. My husband prefers the spelling Evelyn which I haven’t completely ruled out which would probably make that easier!

That’s fair enough. It’s one of those names that’s tricky with pronunciation. My husband prefers the spelling Evelyn which I haven’t completely ruled out which would probably make that easier!

I would definitely pronounce Evelyn the way you intend to have it pronounced!
It’s just one of those things I’m really mindful of because I have an unusual name (rare, traditional girls name that is one syllable off a very common boys name) people constantly mispronounced my name and it used to really upset me as a kid, so I try to avoid it when picking names.

It's a lovely name and I wouldn't worry about mistaken pronunciation, I'm sure she'll grow up knowing how to gently correct people on the odd occasion they get it wrong! My name is often miss pronounced because of the spelling my gran insisted on, if anything it's a bit of an icebreaker when people question it.
And very good luck to you on your transfer.

It's a lovely name and I wouldn't worry about mistaken pronunciation, I'm sure she'll grow up knowing how to gently correct people on the odd occasion they get it wrong! My name is often miss pronounced because of the spelling my gran insisted on, if anything it's a bit of an icebreaker when people question it.
And very good luck to you on your transfer.
Thank you!

What a beautiful name! I also think the spelling that your husband prefers is lovely. It would definitely prevent people from mispronouncing the name.

People mispronounce my oldest daughter's name all the time. Her name is Riya (Reye-yah) and they say Ree-yah.

So what about the pronunciation Eve-lin? Does that still work with Martin? My mother said that’s how my great grandmother pronounced her name for the sake of authenticity <3.

So what about the pronunciation Eve-lin? Does that still work with Martin? My mother said that’s how my great grandmother pronounced her name for the sake of authenticity <3.
Eve-lin Martin sounds more rhyme-y than your original pronunciation to me? I’m Scottish though so we pronounce our R differently than with most English accents so that might not be the case where you are!

Eve-lin Martin sounds more rhyme-y than your original pronunciation to me? I’m Scottish though so we pronounce our R differently than with most English accents so that might not be the case where you are!
Yeah that’s what I thought. Think we’d probably have to change the pronunciation if we used it. Funny how much I think about these things when I’m not even pregnant yet :lol:

Remember though that it's not that often that the full name will be said, she will mostly be known by her first name and possibly as she gets older Ms or Miss Martin, and within a couple of days of her being named it will just be her name, you won't be worrying about it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->