Evening fussiness

Hope83

Me, DH, DS & DD :)
Reaction score
How do you get thru those evening hours?
I know its normal for lo's to cluster feed in the evening hours but when does it stop?

I feel like I'm starving her! My boobs have no time to re-charge for the night...

Sorry I have no suggestions but I am stalking too...

It is tough to get through, but it will get better. I remember finding and reading this out loud to my husband when we were going through it: https://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/fussy-evening/

That was great, because it let us know that it was all completely normal and then when I was struggling with it, he would be my cheerleader and remind me that it would pass soon.

Hang in there!

I am stalking too! I am on my couch with a baby on the boob from 5pm-on. I cannot get anything done (eat, cook, shower) and I feel isolated because I do not have people over or leave the house at that time.

I am stalking too! I am on my couch with a baby on the boob from 5pm-on. I cannot get anything done (eat, cook, shower) and I feel isolated because I do not have people over or leave the house at that time.

Its good to know that I'm not the only one :hugs:
Can you feel an increase in your milk supply though with the constant feedings?
Even though I've read and heard that its normal behaviour, I cant stop thinking I may not have enough milk for her...

It is tough to get through, but it will get better. I remember finding and reading this out loud to my husband when we were going through it: https://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/fussy-evening/

That was great, because it let us know that it was all completely normal and then when I was struggling with it, he would be my cheerleader and remind me that it would pass soon.

Hang in there!

Thanks hun!
Do you remember when it got better?
( and please dont say 6 months :haha: )

My son did this! Wanting to feed from 5pm to midnight with hardly 10 minutes between feeds!

I noticed around 6 weeks it got better. Now he only cluster feeds from 6pm to 8pm or 9pm. I think one thing that helped is giving him one bottle at night. He would get more satisfied and sleep longer. The bottle is my pumped milk and I pump after he's asleep to replace the feed. I wouldn't try this until after your supply is more established (around 6 weeks or so).

Its good to know that I'm not the only one :hugs:
Can you feel an increase in your milk supply though with the constant feedings?
Even though I've read and heard that its normal behaviour, I cant stop thinking I may not have enough milk for her...

I do not feel an increase, but he poops/pees a lot and is gaining weight. I try to focus on that.
I hope it is not 6 months too.

I hope eases soon as it makes evening real tricky...with cooking and getting toddler bathed and put to bed.

I hope eases soon as it makes evening real tricky...with cooking and getting toddler bathed and put to bed.

I hear ya! I'm super glad that hubby is stepping up big time in helping out with ds in the evening! :thumbup:

It doesn't matter if your boobs feel empty, they are still producing milk :) it sounds like your baby is doing great!
When baby cluster feeds it's not so much because they want loads more milk 'now' but because they are telling your body that they will be needing more soon (as they are growing bigger and hungrier!) so even if they are only getting a little that's exactly what should be happening.
The longer your baby feeds the thicker and fattier your milk gets, so if baby takes long pauses between sucks don't take them off the breast, they are getting the really good, rich fatty stuff! :)

It doesn't matter if your boobs feel empty, they are still producing milk :) it sounds like your baby is doing great!
When baby cluster feeds it's not so much because they want loads more milk 'now' but because they are telling your body that they will be needing more soon (as they are growing bigger and hungrier!) so even if they are only getting a little that's exactly what should be happening.
The longer your baby feeds the thicker and fattier your milk gets, so if baby takes long pauses between sucks don't take them off the breast, they are getting the really good, rich fatty stuff! :)

Thank You for the encouraging words.
I have been trying to keep her on the boob longer in order to get more hind milk into her. She can really use some extra calories to help her gain more weight!

Hang in there!

Thanks hun!
Do you remember when it got better?
( and please dont say 6 months :haha: )

It gradually improved, but was much better by 10-12 weeks.

What I find difficult is that most of it is comfort sucking not eating. I understand that is part of nursing, but I cannot find any other way to console him or put him to sleep. I worry what will happen when I have to go back to work. Now he is starting an afternoon fussy period too, but if I take him outside it helps. How many hours are your babies awake and happy not looking to nurse?

I hear ya! I'm super glad that hubby is stepping up big time in helping out with ds in the evening! :thumbup:

I do not know how you ladies do it with more then one child! I do not feel like I can care for myself during this newborn period never mind another child. I guess it does not help that my husband is in the middle east for the next three months.

Hope looks like our babies were born in the same day :) We are also going through the fussy evening stage, it's so exhausting! :hugs:

Hope looks like our babies were born in the same day :) We are also going through the fussy evening stage, it's so exhausting! :hugs:

Our babies picked a great birthday imo! Have you paid close attention to the numbers yet? 23.10.2013 (2x0, 2x1, 2x2, 2x3) thats gotta have some special meaning! :blush::haha:

Is your babe still fussy? We've had a great evening on Friday! No fussing but lots of sleeping!
I figured she was done her 2 week growth spurt cause she also slept a lot that day but than last evening she was her little fussy self again :wacko:

What I find difficult is that most of it is comfort sucking not eating. I understand that is part of nursing, but I cannot find any other way to console him or put him to sleep. I worry what will happen when I have to go back to work. Now he is starting an afternoon fussy period too, but if I take him outside it helps. How many hours are your babies awake and happy not looking to nurse?

Hey Jaymelynn,
How is it going? Does a baby carrier work for your lo at all?
I find that my girl gets fussy when she is tired in the evening. I have a Moby wrap and 8 times out of 10 i can get her to sleep wearing her in the wrap!

She also doesnt spend much time awake just yet. Usually a few minutes here and there. If she is fed, she can spend up to 20 minutes in her swing awake and not crying :thumbup:
For the most part she wants to be held my mommy though. Which I dont mind... :cloud9:

Our babies picked a great birthday imo! Have you paid close attention to the numbers yet? 23.10.2013 (2x0, 2x1, 2x2, 2x3) thats gotta have some special meaning! :blush::haha:

Is your babe still fussy? We've had a great evening on Friday! No fussing but lots of sleeping!
I figured she was done her 2 week growth spurt cause she also slept a lot that day but than last evening she was her little fussy self again :wacko:
Last night was pretty rough :( I am just so tired by night time so my hubby has been taking Devyn and just bringing him to me for feeding so I can get a few hours of sleep but he just won't settle for him and ends up crying the entire time! When I'm up with him he just falls asleep on my chest in between meals. I really hope he can sleep in his bassinette again soon because right now we are taking turns staying up half the night with him. My poor hubby is so frustrated that hr can't calm him down :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->