• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Excessive Appointments?

paintrider89

Reaction score
So, I realize I am only 12+ but feel close enough to third tri to ask this here, and I thought maybe I would get more answers? I am in America and third tri starts 13 weeks here.
I had to switch OBs because of insurance issues. I am now working on payments with the hospital and their KB clinic. I loved my last OB, but this new one seems like a real good guy as well. Professional enough, but was very good and patient with my two wild children. So far very relaxed and I feel pretty good overall. But the amount of times they have appointments is... well I feel its excessive.
Once every 4 weeks from first appointment until 26 weeks.
Then every other week until 36 weeks
After 36 its every week until I deliver.
I am not high risk, this is the entire office normal schedule. 20 appointments if I am counting correctly?!

My old OB was once every for weeks from 1st appointment to 34 weeks, then one at 36,37,38,39,40,41.
15 appointments total.

I am so dreading taking the kids to all of these appointments. My 4 year old said on our 2nd appointment 'not here again'.
And my son just wants to climb around the office and spin on the rolling stools they have. And all of this is going to be through the winter, so we will be fighting snow and ice to get there.

That seems a lot in Ireland we have a lot less I have my confirmation appointment at 4 weeks with GP, scan and midwife at 14weeks, 20 scan with sonographer GP at 24 weeks then consultant at 28 weeks. After that it depends on pregnancy and I'm classified as mid risk.

That does sound like a lot! We have less in the UK.

That's how they do it at my obs. 1 appointment every 4 weeks from. 8 weeks to 28 weeks(first and second trimester). The biweekly from 28 until 36(third trimester) then weekly until delivery. I'm in the eastern U.S. and everyone I know even at different OBs have had the same schedule of appointments

That's my schedule in US. It's standard scheduling in my area. I didn't make it to weekly appts with dd though. I haven't been told any different on appt schedule though.

Same here, that has been my schedule and I didn’t find it odd. Actually it’s pretty comforting because I know my doctor is thorough. At my monthly appointments, nothing major happens anyway. I’m in and out in 15/20 minutes, she just checks the heartbeat and makes sure all my vitals are good.

I am in the Western part of the US. I just don't think I need all of those, or want to try and drag the kids to so many. I know it's the standard for that office, and I will go, but for a mom of 2 already with no complications I feel like it's a waste of time. It will take me longer to get to the appointments than it will take.

I'm in Oregon, and we are about the same at my midwife, and when I saw my OB for my second pregnancy it was also the same. I wish we had another scan if anything, but I don't really like going overall just because I don't care to go lol.

Here in the UK, I am high risk so I have three U/S pre booked at 12, 20, and 34 weeks from beginning, consultant every 4-6 weeks, plus midwife at 10, 16, 25, 28, 31 34, 36, 38, 40, 41, 42 weeks.
I wasn't high risk last pregnancy and I do find all the extra appointments with young children a pain but I know they are necessary because of the high risk but if you are standard risk in the UK you wouldn't get any or maybe 1 consultant appointments, not as many midwife appointments(unless its your first pregnancy) and only 2 U/S.

I'm in Oregon, and we are about the same at my midwife, and when I saw my OB for my second pregnancy it was also the same. I wish we had another scan if anything, but I don't really like going overall just because I don't care to go lol.
I am in Idaho. Practically neighbors :p

I had 5 ultrasounds with DS. 8w, 12w, 20w (and he measured small), 23ish weeks after a car accident, and 26 weeks to check his growth, and he had caught up.
He ended up being an 8lb baby at 40+5.
However even with the 'issues' with him measuring a bit small and the accident I stayed on the more relaxed schedule until he was born.

Would it be strange if I requested to only go every 4 weeks from 26-36 weeks? I really don't feel like I need those appointments. I have had 2 children and know what to keep an eye out for as far as blood pressure, swelling ect.
I really am not a doctor type of person unless I am pregnant, my motto is the more hands off the better for me.
And it seems women get through perfectly fine with way less appointments all the time depending on where in the world they living.
Some ladies like the extra time for reassurance and to ask their MW or Dr. Questions. But I don't want or need that. I just want to have a health check once a month, and have a relaxing pregnancy.

Edit to add: the majority of these frequent appointments will be during the winter. Snow and ice on the road. Though I have a 4 wheel drive vehicle, I am not confident about how other people drive, and I leave the house as little as possible if roads are bad. This is adding to my anxiety and wanting less visits.

Last edited:
I'm more relaxed about it as well. Since this is my fourth I pretty much know what to expect. My mw has been pretty lax as much as she can as per insurance rules though.

I'm more relaxed about it as well. Since this is my fourth I pretty much know what to expect. My mw has been pretty lax as much as she can as per insurance rules though.
I can understand that. However I am a cash pay client, so that cuts out the 3rd party rules for me. I will bring it up with my OB at next appointment.

I live in Idaho as well and that is the normal schedule for my ob too . I am high risk from gd and iugr and age so I went to 2x a week appointments much quicker for nsts and afis . I also have had more ultrasounds then normal . I am being induced Saturday , I am looking forward to not so many appoinments

I live in Idaho as well and that is the normal schedule for my ob too . I am high risk from gd and iugr and age so I went to 2x a week appointments much quicker for nsts and afis . I also have had more ultrasounds then normal . I am being induced Saturday , I am looking forward to not so many appoinments
Good luck and happy labor!

I have decided that I am particularly obstinate during pregnancy [-(. The further along I get the more I remember how some of my less desired traits pop up with the hormones. I think this is one of those times. Where I already had to do some changes and now I wanna be mad and a pain in the butt for no good reason. ](*,)
Reality check :shy:

Edit- grammar, spelling. Still missed some I am sure.

Gosh that is a lot. I'm in the UK. Not high risk although this will be my 5th cesarean. I first saw the midwife at 12 weeks (waited as I've had miscarriages and just wanted to book scan) scan at 14 weeks. I then saw mw at 18 weeks and have a scan (last scan) at 20 weeks. Should see the midwife at 24 weeks but considering holding off until 28/30 weeks unless I'm concerned. Will then see midwife at 34 and 38 weeks

Love.peace - I could be down with that schedule. I know what to watch for and where to call with concerns. It is so interesting how the two countries differ. I want a UK schedule and some of the UK ladies would like the US schedule.

So I was thumbing though the book the nurse gave me when she told me to stay off google. And in the 9-12 week chapter there is a half of a page that goes over appointments.
And it gives about the same schedule as this office has, for first time mothers. Then ends with if you have had successful pregnancies and you are healthy you should be able to have less frequent visits or on an as needed basis.
I am going to ask at the appointment. If it's in the book, then it should be a reasonable request right?

No harm in asking for less appointments I mean it's not a medical condition to be managed. My last pregnancy I had 2/3 appointments until 31 weeks then I was pretty much in hospital every week seeing some doctor or midwife and I hated it felt very medicalised. I did move country when I was 28 weeks so lots of these where catch up visits as my previous ones weren't counted but I had complication as well

Just remember that you don't HAVE to adhere to their schedule. I'm in the US too,.and that does sound like quite a lot in the absence of any risk.like advanced age, high BP, diabetes, etc - especially starting every 2 weeks appointments at only 26 weeks. I feel like that kicked in around 32 weeks w my first two.

This pregnancy I am over 40, and my BP would occasionally be slightly elevated towards the end of my last pregnancy. I am technically "high risk" but my doctor says I'm the healthiest high risk she'll ever see. I voiced my concerns abotu getting to the officially recommended scans and appts w 2 other small children, and we've come.up w a modified plan to space things out (eg growth scans every 5 weeks instead of the recommended 4 weeks, biweekly NSTs starting at 35 weeks instead of 32) provided the pregnancy keeps going smoothly.

I also try to.cram as many things into a single morning as possible. That way, I can take only my younger while.my older is in school. I've even once chosen to just pay a babysitter for the morning, go to the appointments, and then went shopping. It was lovely, and made me want to do it again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->