Exclusively expressing- how many times/day?

chevy4by

Reaction score
Hi-

My baby was born tongue tied and it was not fixed for 2 weeks. Because of this, she never latched on properly, so I have been pumping and bottle feeding for all of her 6 weeks. My question is how many times per day should I be pumping in order to not mess up my supply? Right now I pump 5 times per day, going the longest between at night (6ish hours). I would like to pump less because it is so time consuming (between pumping for 20min, and having to wash all of the parts on top of feeding the baby.....). Right now I am averaging 50oz/day.

Thanks!

Kim

Honestly, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. When I was expressing for Ella in hospital, so many midwives told me I'd fail if I didn't express 8-10 times a day and certainly through the night. Well I averaged 5 times a day, never through the night and always expressed way more that what she actually needed in a day. It set me up with a great milk supply (oversupply in fact) and I've been successfully breastfeeding her since she got home 3 months ago. It really does depend on your own body and your own milk supply. I knew it would be ok as I expressed for Alex and it was never more than 4 or 5 times a day after a few weeks.

If I were you I'd try cutting down to 4 sessions but increasing each session a bit. That way you're still asking your body to produce the same volume of milk, just less frequently. Just keep an eye on it and if you find your supply dwindles you can always up it again. I think by now you'll be pretty well established though. Also, if you don't already have one, invest in a double pump if you plan to express long term.

Laura x

When I first started I think I did it about 6 times a day and then to 5, 4,3 etc. obviously by the end I was trying to cut down my milk. But when I was expressing 4 times a day I would still get about the same amount as I did over 6 times a day. Maybe trying cutting down a session and make sure you pump until you have none left and then some more. See how you get on with that. I know exactly how you felt, I was a complete slave to the pump and I hated it and it made me so unhappy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->