Exclusively Pumping. Best affordable pump?

Surprised26

Reaction score
So I'm still doing my research, and before I get into my question, I just want to first warn that any comments to the effect of "breast is best" blah blah and belittling me for my decision will be promptly ignored. I know breast milk is the preferred method of feeding, and that's why I'm going to try my best to do it this way. I have some emotional trauma that I'm not going to go into detail about, but long story short, the idea of feeding directly from my breast completely freaks me out. No I'm not going to try it, and no one can guilt me into changing my mind. I also know that pumping exclusively does not work for everyone and I am prepared to formula feed if I'm unsuccessful.

ANYWAY, now that the disclaimer is out there, my intent is to pump exclusively and then bottle feed the expressed milk to my baby. I know I need a double electric pump, and I also know that $300+ models are better. However, I'm not able to spend that much and am looking more into the $100-$150 range, and wondered if any of you ladies have any good recommendations as to a brand or model I should look into? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm pro-just feed your baby, so no worries here! :thumbup: (The idea freaks me out too, and formula is what worked best for us - and I have a healthy, happy toddler that has never caught a cold or ear infection.)

If you have health insurance, you might want to check with them to see if they cover breast pumps. You might be able to get a decent one for free! Just contact them and ask, and if they do they will give you the options available and how to obtain it.

Best of luck! :flower:

I notice you're in the US, I would check with your health insurance to see what they're coverage options are! Most companies are beginning to cover them :)

I was not able to use anything but a double electric. Every other one I tried just didn't help express enough milk (manual, single electric) try checking for used machines. (sometimes medical equipment companies, rental programs and hospital will sell their older models) For most models you can buy the actual pump and replace the lines and shields. I'd check around with friends and family first of course and do your research but its an option. My coworker was able to buy a medella double pump electric ( the same one I'm getting brand new $300) for $100 and replace all plastic parts for less than $50. But she is a true bargain hunter. I just don't have the time. :/ Best of luck.

Ooooh just saw this while browsing. Check it out.
https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n:165796011,k:electric double breast pump,p_4:Medela

Sadly I was forced to "voluntarily quit"my job the day after I announced my pregnancy, so I don't have the insurance option. I know I could get a rental or loaner through WIC or something similar, but that kind of gives me the heebie-jeebies. I'm broke and picky :haha: lol. Will definitely look into that Medela, I am finding that a nicer model may not be impossible to get new if I keep my eyes on Ebay. Thank you ladies for the help :)

Also, thanks for giving me the idea to look for a new machine, but replacing the parts, that might actually be the route I end up choosing now that I'm looking into it. :)

I wanted a Medela, but couldn't justify the cost without knowing how feeding will go for me. So I got this one:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Evenflo-Advanced-Deluxe-Double-Electric-Breast-Pump/26890056

But this one also looks decent, and is still reasonably priced:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lansinoh...fault&beacon_version=1.0.0&findingMethod=p13n

I'm not sure they'll be great, but I've read complaints about even the most expensive, top of the line pumps, so I don't think there's a perfect one out there for everyone, and at least these ones don't cost an arm and a leg :)

I bought a used medela pump n style when my son was a baby and it was the only pump that ever worked for me.

In your research, check out flange sizes. I have large breasts and small nipples and find all flanges way too big. They painfully suck way too much breast tissue in.

My aunt pumped exclusively and she used a medela pump n style also.

My 3rd born was prem and I had to exclusively pump for him to be tube fed, I used a medela and it was great.

Exclusively pumping is hard, very hard so anyone who makes comments to you should be quickly be told to f*** off! getting up every 2 hours at night to attach yourself to a machine just to keep your milk supply up is in no way as nice as feeding your baby, and to have to feed your baby as well thru the night, I honestly take my hat off to you, it will be exhausting. Don't feel bad if you end up resorting to formula, and also don't be shocked at how very little colostrum you will get out in the first few days, it's really rich and they only need a little bit :thumbup: good luck :flower:

Definitely check used machines and replace the parts! If you check craigslist or facebook online garage sale sites, I see them all the time for super cheap!

I pumped exclusively for a while due to latch issues. Just be aware that the there are different sizes of attachment depending on your breast size. I just assumed that the standard size was fine and ended up with mastitis because my ducts weren't being properly drained. I used the medela swing.

I would def encourage u to get one of the better ones used, if you're not opposed to that. There is eBay, but also craigslist, and where I live, several FB garage sale sites that people will post breast pumps on. You said you lost your job ( I'm sorry 😞) are you in any ins? Would u qualify for Medicaid? I'm only asking because they will provide a pump.
My personal pump fav is the medela pump in style. It's a great pump. I have a friend who exclusively pumped, and she used a medela.

Part of the new 'Obama care act' is that health insurance EITHER purchases a new single use pump (medela pump in style or similar) OR pays for a monthly rental (medela symphony). I see that you stated you lost your insurance, however, I believe wic has the same or similar policy.
Searching the web for "wic breast pump rental" yielded multiple states sites.

Having said that, I exclusively pumped for the better part of a year due to feeding issues and I would not have been able to without the help of the hospital grade rental. The rentals are $1500 and up systems to purchase new for a reason. The single use systems (pump in style etc.)are not designed for multiple people to use, so buying off craigslist risks contaminating the milk with anything that may be lingering in the motor of the machine. The FDA website recommends against this and provides a link to LLL to support its claim.

You mentioned being grossed out by the multiuser rentals, but they are specifically designed to eliminate any possible point of contamination. Plus their motors are designed to last for many years, compared to the 1-2 year life span of the single use systems.

I was able to get twice as much milk per sitting with the medela symphony as compared to a system I bought for $300 in the store. Also, it was much gentler on my breasts and caused much less nipple pain.

I am preparing to rent another symphony when my 2nd is born next week, even though I still have my $300 system I purchased sitting in the closet.

Hope that helps and good luck with exclusively pumping. It is very difficult, but it CAN be done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->