excruciating initial latch on

My baby is 7 weeks on Friday and I still get the pain! Granted the last 5 days we've both had thrush but even before that I would just sit and watch him for a while before attempting to feed, trying to muster up the courage.

I've never known this pain to go away or get easier, this is my 6th child and managed to feed my twins until 12th week before the pain broke me!

I agree with the others that if it goes away after a minute or so it isn't indicative of a problem and should get better. My letdown pain was also excruciating for the first week and then after that I never felt it again.

Try counting down from 30 when you latch LO on. It will give you something to focus on and the closer you get to zero you'll know your getting closer to the piano going away.

EDIT: errr piano should read pain! Left it in because it made me chuckle!

Thanks....it is getting shorter and shorter but boy does it hurt sometimes....I didn't bf my twins so I really have my heart set on ebf this lo. I had no idea of the let down pain. ...so it came as quite the surprise to me haha. Although as pp said it doesn't really go away eeek....I do the same thing though sit and just look at him and try to muster up the courage to get him on the anticipation kills me every time. I like the idea of counting backwards from 30....I must try that! !!

I feel the pain! You should try Silverette silver cups...silver is a natural antibiotic and anti fungal and it prevents soreness from the start! They saved my life! I didn't believe it when my LC suggested them but now I am so grateful she did!!

I had the same pain and it was excruciating for two weeks. Then, it just stopped and it never hurt again. We have now been BFing for 11 months and I am so glad I stuck it out.

When the pain was really bad, I would express milk and have DH feed a bottle to give my nipples a rest. We did this maybe once a day until the pain stopped. It helped.

I also tried a nipple sheild, but chucked it across the room after the third try. :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->