Exercise during first trimester

msdespondent

Reaction score
I am writing this as I am very confused. I am 5 weeks pregnant. No health issues, no bleeding and natural conception. I am also an avid runner. I started running to keep my migraines at bay. That was 4 years ago. Soon after I realized that running helped with my insomnia and mood swings and bad water retention nearer to my period. Before I got pregnant I was running 3-4 times a week. Around 5km at the pace of 7:30.

I have continued to run during my pregnancy. And felt good running. Last Wednesday, I visited the 24 hours emergency doctor because I felt light headed and nearly fainted. This was not after running, it was during work hours and I was standing for some time when it happened.

The doctor advised me against running, she said that it would dislodge the embryo because of the impact. I asked if the rowing machine would be a good alternative and she did not know what it was and thus did not comment. She prescribed duphaston as she was worried about the cramp-like sensations I was feeling. She said the lightheadedness was usual.

As advised, I stopped running. Took duphaston. And felt miserable. On Saturday I did a light aerobic workout (no running) and my mood and energy were much improved. Constipation went away after the exercise also. I could clear my bowels. Water retention was decreased.

Today, I went for my first checkup, optimistic. The scan showed the baby at 5 weeks with a strong heartbeat. Everything looked fine. Gynae even said I could stop duphaston. Then, came to the discussion about my running. The gynae said that he would advice me to stop running. I asked why and he said cause it would dislodge the embryo. Which is highly unscientific based on a lot of research I have read. I asked if the elliptical is alright and he asked what an elliptical is. He went on about how high speed exercises will cause vibrations that will affect the baby and cause miscarriage. Yet he said that sexual intercourse is perfectly safe. When I asked what exercise he recommends, he only stated swimming and walking.

This is all very confusing to me. Isn't exercise healthy for a developing baby and its mother? The elliptical is gentle enough that it is recommended for old people with joint problems, why wouldn't the doctor commit and say yes it is safe? How am I supposed to swim when there is haze? How exactly does the baby get dislodged due to exercise? If you search "miscarriage exercise", a lot of articles written by validated doctors show that there is no link. Except that a sedentary lifestyle leads to more pregnancy complications. How is running less impactful than sex? Anyone who uses the treadmill will know that if you set it to a lower speed, the machine will vibrate a little more because your foot is in contact with the machine for a longer time. How does walking have "less vibrations" than running?

What would really help me now is hearing from you what your experiences with exercising during pregnancy was like? What worked and what was just too uncomfortable to do? I just did the elliptical today and felt fantastic. Although I only did it for 15 minutes as I felt tired.

My gyn said if I ran before pregnancy that I could keep running. The only things she said I had to stop were spartan races (a given) or krav because the risk of injury or falling were too high. I believe she also said no more exercises that involve me laying on my back, but can't remember the logic there. My pregnancy book (what to expect ) says you can run if you ran before but if you didn't now is not the time to start running. It had some precautions to take though. When I am not sick in bed I will go find the passage

Thanks Dobby. Everyone was telling me I was putting the baby at risk even though I felt what I was doing was beneficial. For some reason the gynaes here in Singapore are overly precautious.

First off congrats on your new baby!! I do the same things I have done since before getting pregnant. I work out 2-4 times a week. I use the eliptical, stair climber, I plank, bike ride and lift weights. As I get further along I will decrease the weight amount and most likely the amount of time on the bikes etc... I did a few 5K including one with obstacles at 10 weeks. Went for my 12.5 qwwk check up last week and baby was perfect and actually waving arms and kicking legs so I must be diong something right. My OBGYN told me to stop the vigurous runnig and stuff my last 6 weeks, but that was for my own body's sake not baby. I think if you know your own bodies limits you will be fine. Good luck!

I used to work for a valet company and a fellow co worker found out she was expecting. The doctor said that it was perfectly fine for her to run for cars since she has been doing it previously. I think avoiding running would apply to someone like me that does not run normally as an excercise.

I'm also a runner and, during my last pregnancy my doctor said it was okay to keep doing what I had been doing for as long as it was comfortable. I'm pretty sure you can't "shake the embryo loose" in the case of an uncomplicated pregnancy with normal placenta attachment. Specific guidelines he gave were to never get so winded that I couldn't talk in full sentences and to stop if I had severe cramps. he also emphasized how important is was to stay well hydrated.

Exercise was the only thing that helped at all w my nausea. I ran a half marathon at 13 weeks (w dr's okay), and kept running until about 8 months when it started to bother my hips. I definitely had to slow my pace from about 5 months as the growing baby was putting more physical demands on my body.

In my last pregnancy, my Dr told me i could continue exercising as I normally did before pregnancy. I would get a 2nd opinion.

That's ridiculous. I kept running with dd until 17 weeks and only stopped because of sciatica, which was so disheartening and I haven't picked it up again because it just feels uncomfortable pp. However I'll do a 5k when I'm 23 weeks pregnant and I'm sure it'll be fine. My friend was still running races until she gave birth because she is a competitive runner. I feel that some doctors in Asia when it comes to women's health still are a little behind. (From my experience having lived in Taiwan). They told me not to drink cold water during my period because it would make cramps worse the next month...

I'm cycling to work 4 miles each way with no problems. I asked my midwife when I was pregnant with my son and she said if I was confident and used to it then I was fine to continue. She also told me she had a patient who cycled to all her appointments, and cycled to the hospital when she was in early labour! I might not go quite that far!!!

I'm an avid crossfitter in athlete shape. Been competing for 2 years. I'm 5.3 weeks pregnant and have also been advised to stop high impact during first trimester this includes: running, skipping and jumping. My OB advised against it as did my coaches. So I'm still crossfitting just not doing high impact until over 16 weeks :)

I am writing this as I am very confused. I am 5 weeks pregnant. No health issues, no bleeding and natural conception. I am also an avid runner. I started running to keep my migraines at bay. That was 4 years ago. Soon after I realized that running helped with my insomnia and mood swings and bad water retention nearer to my period. Before I got pregnant I was running 3-4 times a week. Around 5km at the pace of 7:30.

I have continued to run during my pregnancy. And felt good running. Last Wednesday, I visited the 24 hours emergency doctor because I felt light headed and nearly fainted. This was not after running, it was during work hours and I was standing for some time when it happened.

The doctor advised me against running, she said that it would dislodge the embryo because of the impact. I asked if the rowing machine would be a good alternative and she did not know what it was and thus did not comment. She prescribed duphaston as she was worried about the cramp-like sensations I was feeling. She said the lightheadedness was usual.

As advised, I stopped running. Took duphaston. And felt miserable. On Saturday I did a light aerobic workout (no running) and my mood and energy were much improved. Constipation went away after the exercise also. I could clear my bowels. Water retention was decreased.

Today, I went for my first checkup, optimistic. The scan showed the baby at 5 weeks with a strong heartbeat. Everything looked fine. Gynae even said I could stop duphaston. Then, came to the discussion about my running. The gynae said that he would advice me to stop running. I asked why and he said cause it would dislodge the embryo. Which is highly unscientific based on a lot of research I have read. I asked if the elliptical is alright and he asked what an elliptical is. He went on about how high speed exercises will cause vibrations that will affect the baby and cause miscarriage. Yet he said that sexual intercourse is perfectly safe. When I asked what exercise he recommends, he only stated swimming and walking.

This is all very confusing to me. Isn't exercise healthy for a developing baby and its mother? The elliptical is gentle enough that it is recommended for old people with joint problems, why wouldn't the doctor commit and say yes it is safe? How am I supposed to swim when there is haze? How exactly does the baby get dislodged due to exercise? If you search "miscarriage exercise", a lot of articles written by validated doctors show that there is no link. Except that a sedentary lifestyle leads to more pregnancy complications. How is running less impactful than sex? Anyone who uses the treadmill will know that if you set it to a lower speed, the machine will vibrate a little more because your foot is in contact with the machine for a longer time. How does walking have "less vibrations" than running?

What would really help me now is hearing from you what your experiences with exercising during pregnancy was like? What worked and what was just too uncomfortable to do? I just did the elliptical today and felt fantastic. Although I only did it for 15 minutes as I felt tired.

I am wondering where you live that doctors don't know what a rowing machine and/or elliptical is. My sister-in-law is a health nut (in a good way:winkwink:) and actually teaches classes at the gym called Body Combat. She worked out everyday with both her pregnancies and her classes are pretty high impact (jogging in place, jumping, squats, etc.) I started hiking after my son was born and my doc said that if you exercise before you get pregnant it is fine to do those exercises after (it actually helps with childbirth and keeping energy up) just try not to over do it. Also, I agree with Rhiannon137, it isn't possible to shake the embryo loose.

Running is perfectly fine and will not dislodge the embryo! I am an avid trail runner, but I stopped running at about 20 weeks because I found it way too uncomfortable and I had a constant feeling of needing to pee while running. My doctor said that if I was a runner before pregnancy then it's fine to continue running as long as it is comfortable. Just pace yourself and don't go for any personal bests! I have a friend that ran almost every day until the week before she delivered and her baby was perfectly healthy. Exercise is great for preparing your body for labour, and you will recover quicker from the birth if you stay fit throughout your pregnancy, so keep on running mama!

I'm 10 weeks and I've been using my stationary bike as well as biking and youtubing pregnancy workouts. My doctor told me I'm fine so long as I don't over exert myself and do anything that would hit my billy. I think your doctor sounds misinformed... You should be able to run so long as you are not pushing yourself too hard.

Agree with everyone else. My doctor has always told me to continue what my body is used to and stop when it stops feeling right. I continued horse back riding (on an old dead broke nag) until 16 weeks last pregnancy and abdominal exercises until 7 months and then still walked a few miles daily until delivery.

Hi Despondent! The only question I had when I read your post was, "What country are you in?!" and in fact you answered it already. Believe me, in different parts of the world people have very different approaches to pregnancy. Try being visibly pregnant and having a drink of alcohol in the United States for example, whereas in the UK it is not a cause for public condemnation. As far as exercise, the advice I hear most of the time is that it is a great thing but don't suddenly start doing strenuous things that you aren't used to doing. If you could shake loose an embryo by jogging wouldn't that be a handy method of birth control that humanity would have discovered thousands of years ago? If you are a runner, running while pregnant is just fine. There are even super athletes who do marathons when pregnant. Your alternative, lower shock options, sound great too. Any pain or bleeding needs to be taken seriously but that is true no matter what you are up to. I found I was really dizzy at the beginning of the first trimester but that has already improved with no drugs. My blood pressure is around 85/55 but it isn't bothering me (except for when I have to go for a fasting blood test at which I totally fainted and vomited and it was horrible!!.) Anyway, yes, your doctors are being silly and unscientific and in 10 or 20 years they will have a different approach. Guaranteed!

I'm shocked that you actually had health care providers that said that sort of junk to you. Honestly, it would make me switch to someone else - if they are so completely wrong about that, what other completely made up advice will they give you during your pregnancy and birth? I'd be getting far, far away and finding someone whose clinical advice I felt I could trust. Red flags all around!

For someone who is otherwise healthy and feels well, I'd say keep doing what you've always been doing. If you feel unwell while doing it, dizzy or out of breath or sick, listen to your body and stop. Assuming everything else is well (like you aren't on bed rest), being active during pregnancy is one of the best things you can do. I was a runner as well before I got pregnant, though I personally didn't keep running once I was pregnant (I had just started training again and I also started to feel tired and dizzy when I ran), I did stay active - walking or hiking at least 3 miles most days. I was doing 15 mile hikes into early 3rd tri on the weekends. It helped keep my energy levels up and I think probably also helped me put on weight evenly and slowly. I had a healthy, easy pregnancy and a great, fairly easy completely natural birth, which I think was in part because I'd stayed in shape when I was pregnant. I'd do the same again next time.

I must thank all you mummies who have given me good advice and to new of encouragement. I laced up my trainers today to go for a jog. The funny thing is that I didn't actually manage to jog the whole way through. I felt too tired, I was really out of breath. And my joints felt all wonky, like I was gonna sprain or strain something soon. My muscles were tired after just 1km of jogging. Very slow jogging I might add. 10min per km.

So I switch to brisk walking for the next 3km. And wow it felt so much more comfortable and it was just as good a workout. Looks like I didn't need to worry after all. My body gave me the answer I needed. That brisk walking and the elliptical would be more suitable for me. I can understand the allure of weights also. Maybe I will try a pregnancy dvd workout.

But I am kinda shocked and amazed how different my body feels. I felt like I was jogging and walking in another body. I wonder how some pregnant ladies can run a marathon? It must take intense willpower and an excellent level of fitness.

I must thank all you mummies who have given me good advice and to new of encouragement. I laced up my trainers today to go for a jog. The funny thing is that I didn't actually manage to jog the whole way through. I felt too tired, I was really out of breath. And my joints felt all wonky, like I was gonna sprain or strain something soon. My muscles were tired after just 1km of jogging. Very slow jogging I might add. 10min per km.

So I switch to brisk walking for the next 3km. And wow it felt so much more comfortable and it was just as good a workout. Looks like I didn't need to worry after all. My body gave me the answer I needed. That brisk walking and the elliptical would be more suitable for me. I can understand the allure of weights also. Maybe I will try a pregnancy dvd workout.

But I am kinda shocked and amazed how different my body feels. I felt like I was jogging and walking in another body. I wonder how some pregnant ladies can run a marathon? It must take intense willpower and an excellent level of fitness.

I feel the same! I've been a runner for 10 years now, and I just feel absolutely pooped whenever I try to run. I usually run a mile and then a brisk walk for the rest of the time, it's a nice way to start, but also know there is an end to the exhaustion.

If embryos were so easily dislodged, the human race would be screwed. Your baby won't fall out because you run, that is such a terrible thing for health professionals to say to you! My midwife encouraged me to continue strenuous walking, heavy weight lifting etc etc with Sophie and I did jog also, not frequently and not past about 12 weeks due to pain though.

Every day during the first tri I took 2 bus rides per day with Thomas, in horrible old buses that bumped and slammed all over the road and I am sure the driver aimed for the pot holes. He didn't dislodge :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->