exercise while ttc and pregnant

ButterCup17

Reaction score
Hi ladies, it's been a while since I've been over here! My son is 16 months old now and I will be ttc next month :) my question is about exercising while pregnant...last time I was ttc I was exercising. I got pregnant but found out it was a blighted ovum. Once I got pregnant again like 2 months later I was scared to death of having a miscarriage so I didn't want to do anything that I feared could cause it, knowing I was being irrational but like I said I was so scared! So I didn't exercise at all during that pregnancy. I'm currently overweight and have been exercising on and off the past few months. I recently started an exercise group that is a total body workout with cardio that meets twice a week. Is that safe to do while pregnant? If not, what is safe to do? I also have an elliptical machine, is that safe? Sorry, I'm clueless about this so would appreciate any input!! TIA!

You should be fine, if you've been doing it before you get pregnant. Just listen to your body! If you're worried though, give your doctor/OBGYN a call and ask them what they think. Good luck :flower: (I've been trying to get my body used to exercise so I can actually workout with the next pregnancy as well! I was so lazy when carrying DD :dohh:)

I think the general rule of thumb is that you should still be able to stay a full sentence and not to start any new exercise ie don't take it rowing etc while pregnant. I find that I'm doing about 30 minutes a day put walking and training my dogs (n chasing toddler) without a issue but definitely talk to your doctor about it hun

29 weeks and still exercising 2/3 times a week here. I do zumba, vigorous swimming and general gym cv machines (treadmill, cross trainer, bike). Do what you feel comfortable with and as above, don't do anything new that is too strenuous. Basically just listen to your body and slow down or stop when it tells you. I am just starting to slow down a little bit now - not doing as much of the high impact bits in zumba and mostly walking on an incline on the treadmill. Don't get me wrong, I'm not super fit or anything and certainly wasn't before pregnancy - but I've pretty much carried as normal as far as possible.

I've had 2 mc's, 1 chemical, 3 IUI's, and 6 IVFs due to premature ovarian failure (terrible quality eggs) and the only times I've ever got pregnant naturally was when I was trying to lose weight and exercising ALOT. With the first natural pregnancy I lost I stopped exercising. With this pregnancy I maintained my exercising and my low blood pressure has been kept in check because of all the exercise. It's the first time I've made it past the 12 week mark.

I'd argue, along with a site with studies commissioned primarily from the NHS (below), that exercise decreases maternal inflammation and improves circulation, keeps homocysteine levels low, prevents blood clots (obesity linked to blood clotting which increases mc through blood clots) - moderate exercise has SO many fertility & mc prevention benefits. I think with a low carb/sugar diet you get better quality eggs (cited in a diabetic study on egg quality). The fact that I've only every got pregnant while working out and dieting (low carb/low sugar diet), the only two times in 6 years that I was able to get pregnant - well, that's just my belief that sugar 7 carbs are terrible for fertility. And the studies back this up.

Not only has it kept my weight down and tummy tight during this pregnancy, my low blood pressure only made me feel ill during the month vacation we took where I stopped my exercises, it helps keep you strong for delivery, prevents the loss of your bladder (leaking is NOT fun and the loss of lower pelvic muscle tone is very real for many women), exercise also prevents post partum depression. I do yoga for an hour on Mondays, Kick Boxing Tuesdays, Pilates Wednesdays, and HIIT class on Thursdays. If I"m feeling energetic on the weekend I might go to the gym but we also get out to the Rocky Mountains for trail hikes now and then. It's SO much better to keep fit, for your overall fertility and the health of the baby once you conceive.

https://sites.google.com/site/misca...app/pages/search?scope=search-site&q=exercise

Wow thank you so much for sharing! And congratulations!

I too got pregnant naturally, both times I was exercising and losing weight doing high cardio insanity type exercises and fell pregnant. the 2nd time I still continued for a bit before I stopped. With both I still kept active and did aqua natal classes till the end.

I advice my friends to get exercising esp if ttc, not only is it good for your body but it takes the stress, pressure and your mind off the whole trying to get pregnant thing. Focusing too much on it could even prevent it from happening.

now that I'm no longer suffering from horrible morning sickness and fatigue, I plan on going back to the gym Monday. I want to go 5 days a week, but I will keep it to light exercise, and alternate between treadmills and strength training. I want to do so mainly to keep me from gaining any excess weight like I did with my son, and also, if you stay active during pregnancy, you have a good chance of bouncing back much quicker post partum

I was working out 6-7 days a week prior to pregnancy. Now I still do 6 days a week, with slights decrease in intensity and speed. I also still lift weights and will continue to do so. I am only 7 weeks and I hope the babe is ok, but I firmly believe in healthy mom will lead to healthy babe. Hopefully I will be able to do so throughout the rest of preg.

I've just realized that actually both times I've got pregnant I've been working out, I'm still doing about 30 minutes 5 times a week plus dog walking but every now and then I have to take a day off or change the sort of exercise I'm doing ie switching from cardio to a nice walk.

I've just realized that actually both times I've got pregnant I've been working out, I'm still doing about 30 minutes 5 times a week plus dog walking but every now and then I have to take a day off or change the sort of exercise I'm doing ie switching from cardio to a nice walk.

I think there's something to that (being super fertile due to working out & eating healthy). My good friend does iron mans and while training for 2 of them she got pregnant, the first one was in Kelowna, the second the world's in Hawaii. I have diminished reserves and was given less than 5% chance to get preggers and both times I was working out really hard to lose weight I got pregnant, this last time was sticky (thankfully). My friend is a nurse said our hormones are locked up in our fat and when we burn fat we shake things up in a good way. When we're obese, things stop working and we won't respond properly (IE to IVF, fertility drugs, to our own hormones). I think there's a whole lot of truth to that!

I also have gotten pregnant every time I started an exercise regime and a low carb diet. Every single time - this is my fourth. Haha. Anyway, my doctor wants us to continue doing whatever we were doing before getting pregnant. If it was running (like with my second baby), keep running! Obviously not wrestling or MMA like I was doing when I got pregnant with this one. I take my kids for 2+ mile walks every day now, which helps me sleep well and is a great winding down opportunity for my kids before bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->