Exercise?

TxMom2Be

FTM to baby GIRL!
Reaction score
Do you exercise? How often and what do you do?

Before DH and I started "trying" we were maniacs - running every morning and doing P90X every evening (mostly to cram before we had our destination wedding, preparing ourselves to be in a swim suit for 2 weeks) :wedding: I've since then put the P90X dvd's on the shelf to start collecting dust, but I'm wondering what you ladies do for cardio/exercise? Running (sweating) is what makes me happy, makes me feel accomplished and keeps me sane! Currently we're registered for our second marathon in November, but am hoping for a BFP by then......anxious to talk to my OB and get her input on what restraints I should put on myself.

I exercise at least five times a week. I've always been very active and used to workout with a trainer. When we decided that we were going ttc I stopped going to a trainer because my dr had already said that I probably only got my AF because I was on the pill. I've definitely slower WAY down with working out but it helps me when I feel stressed out and stuff.

Right now I'm just running, spinning and doing yoga not so much strength training anymore. My arms are looking pretty sad. LOL My friends are doing Tough Mudder this fall/winter but I hope to have BFP by then so I'm not going to train for that one.

I was advised to really cut down on my exercise and my other half also. Good luck xox

I workout 4-5 days/week, mostly running, bike, and some strength training. I haven't really slown down since we started ttc again (mmc in April), but I plan to chill out a little once we get pregnant again.

On a side note, I was told by my OB when I was pregnant that I shouldn't get my heart rate above 140 and to cut the amount I was lifting by 1/2.

Best of luck!

I work out 5 days a week. I do step aerobics, tennis and water aerobics. I used to do a high impact dance aerobics class, but switched to water aerobics when I got pregnant in march. I haven't gone back to it since the mc since we are ttc again. I was told not to do any exercises laying on my back and no crunches. When I was pg, I didn't do any of the optional high impact moves in step aerobics. I don't plan on doing anything different when I get pregnant again.

This is a really good thread, because this is something I've been wondering about.

I really think this depends on the person.

I am wondering if exercise depends on your current body fat level, since you do need to be in maybe a slightly higher range to conceive. I'm sort of a smaller person, and when I was strenuously lifting weights (we're talking hour and a half sessions 3x a week) plus lots of running and plyometrics, my body fat dropped very low, which is fine since I had a lot of muscle, but not necessarily what I wanted for pregnancy achievement.

When I was pregnant (I miscarried at 5 weeks 5 days), I was told to cut down during the first trimester.

I am continuing to exercise but dropping it down a lot from what I could be doing, and I'm focusing on getting good nutrition.

It's hard to be a tiny bit curvier and not as muscular as I was but I think it's for the best for me personally.

You sound very athletic, which is great, I would keep doing what keeps you feeling good and just really make sure you are fueling your runs really well so that your body isn't depleted of essential vitamins and minerals. Marathon running is very intense, I would ask a physician about it.

This is a really good thread, because this is something I've been wondering about.

I really think this depends on the person.

I am wondering if exercise depends on your current body fat level, since you do need to be in maybe a slightly higher range to conceive. I'm sort of a smaller person, and when I was strenuously lifting weights (we're talking hour and a half sessions 3x a week) plus lots of running and plyometrics, my body fat dropped very low, which is fine since I had a lot of muscle, but not necessarily what I wanted for pregnancy achievement.

When I was pregnant (I miscarried at 5 weeks 5 days), I was told to cut down during the first trimester.

I am continuing to exercise but dropping it down a lot from what I could be doing, and I'm focusing on getting good nutrition.

It's hard to be a tiny bit curvier and not as muscular as I was but I think it's for the best for me personally.

You sound very athletic, which is great, I would keep doing what keeps you feeling good and just really make sure you are fueling your runs really well so that your body isn't depleted of essential vitamins and minerals. Marathon running is very intense, I would ask a physician about it.

I know exactly what you mean. I have a very small frame and my body fat was on the low side from being as active as I was. :bodyb: As soon as we decided ttc I quit doing my private training sessions because it was no longer a priority to me (save $$ too). :thumbup: I am still working out but not like I was and it's tough to adjust to my body changing and fitting into clothes differently. I know that at the end of the day it is SO worth it.

Thanks for all of your input! After having a mc I'm so worried about every little thing I do, especially those things that I was doing before I mc (you know, always wondering if "that" could have been the cause).

I understand, I'm scared to exercise too. My one major rule is that the week of implantation I keep it very mild, like walking on my treadmill for 30 minutes. I just can't bring myself to jog that week. And to be honest, if I get pregnant I will keep it down to walking on my treadmill and pregnancy safe yoga. That's just what I feel comfortable with though.

I understand, I'm scared to exercise too. My one major rule is that the week of implantation I keep it very mild, like walking on my treadmill for 30 minutes. I just can't bring myself to jog that week. And to be honest, if I get pregnant I will keep it down to walking on my treadmill and pregnancy safe yoga. That's just what I feel comfortable with though.

Yeah, same here. Before my mmc I had went back to just walking (90 min on treadmill) and was looking into doing preggy yoga. I definitely will be REALLY careful when we conceive again. I'll probably be scared to death.

Hi! :wave:

I am actually a PT, and prior to that our 1st, a semi-competitive runner. I am also certified, Kickboxing and Exercise instructor, where I concentrate in Boot Camps! I have always been very active, and continue to run/jog (while pregnant). I actually jogged my usual mile (eased up in the 3rd trim) on the Friday nite before the LO was born on Sunday morning.

GL to you chasing that :bfp: before your marathon in Nov. Exercise is very good for pregnancy. Your body and doctor will let you know when to ease up, change up, etc. :dust:

@MrsMM24

Very cool that you are a PT and so actively involved in so many different things. Boot Camp is one that I've always wanted to try. I've done a punch of half marathons but haven't in a few years because I'd rather not run that far anymore. I do still run a few 5K's and love doing cycling events.

I agree that your body and dr will tell you when to ease up.

I agree! I'm definitely going to listen to both my body and OB!

BASTE, I actually found out 2 weeks later, that I was 4 weeks pregnant after running the Race for the Cure 5K on the National Mall. I am not sure I know how NOT to run. :haha: Yeah, Boot Camp is probably my favorite, Kickboxing running a close 2nd. I was a heptathlete in College so busy, plenty, hard, work, is what I like best when working out. My body let me know how to ease up and the doc was ok with how I had, I was running 5K distances and pretty decent speeds at the beginning of my preg, then by the nite before admitting, I JOGGED a mile. Needless to say, my labor was GREAT! I wouldn't worry much TXMOM.... have fun! :dust:

BASTE, I actually found out 2 weeks later, that I was 4 weeks pregnant after running the Race for the Cure 5K on the National Mall. I am not sure I know how NOT to run. :haha: Yeah, Boot Camp is probably my favorite, Kickboxing running a close 2nd. I was a heptathlete in College so busy, plenty, hard, work, is what I like best when working out. My body let me know how to ease up and the doc was ok with how I had, I was running 5K distances and pretty decent speeds at the beginning of my preg, then by the nite before admitting, I JOGGED a mile. Needless to say, my labor was GREAT! I wouldn't worry much TXMOM.... have fun! :dust:

Wow that's amazing! Keep that up and you'll have an easy delivery and be back to pre-baby weight in no time.

I've heard so many good things about active woman having smooth deliveries and bouncing right back.

My mom is a great example. She had four kids and was always all baby. She'd come home from the hospital looking like she was never preggo.

There was also a 9 mth pregnant lady that did a half marathon around here and WON. Craziness!

Thanks for all of your input! After having a mc I'm so worried about every little thing I do, especially those things that I was doing before I mc (you know, always wondering if "that" could have been the cause).

I know what you mean, I've felt that way too.

I think, though, that it's good to realize it wasn't anything you were doing that caused the m/c.

Hugs to you, we'll all be pregnant again with a healthy delivery at the end soon, I feel confident in that.

I agree with you, I do the same as you, and take it easy after I ovulate.

I'm not an athlete though, so for other people, exercising intensely is great for them, but for me, I feel like it's better for me to take it easy.

And yes, if I get pregnant, I will do long walks, swimming and good stretching.

To each her own, what works for some people doesn't work for others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->