Experiences with laparoscopic surgery?

esah

Reaction score
My HSG showed one tube possibly blocked but it was not conclusive. My doctor said that one option is to have laparoscopic surgery. They may find (a) nothing, (b) severe issues that they can't fix with the surgery, or (c) something they can clear up with the surgery. I'm thinking that only (c) would be worth it so I'm undecided. My doctor seemed to think that it made sense to move forward with Clomid/IUI without the surgery (possibly only 1 tube open) if I wanted. Wondering what experiences others have had with it, and if anyone wants to weigh in on this decision.... Thanks!

Hi esah. I had a similar situation - my Hsg showed one tube possibly blocked, and I elected for a lap. However, my RE was also fairly sure I had endo based on symptoms, so that played into my decision to have the surgery. Anyways, much to my surprise, they found both tubes open. So the HSG isn't always perfect and they need to do surgery to know for sure. Hope that helps...

I had a similar situation - my Hsg showed one tube abstracted from the view, possibly polipoyed endometrium (many small polyps), an ovarian cyst that they wanted to remove, also I had abdominal surgery in the past and they told me I should do lap to make sure everything works as it should so I could qualify for IVF. I have to be honest, that was a very bad decision for me and to this day I regret agreeing to do lap&Dye/hysteroscopy. none of the things above were confirmed, the cyst was so small that they did not bother removing it. However, during the operation I got an infection and also my cycles got completely messed up. 7 cycles later they are still shorter than what they were before the operation. Also my FSH increased so now I am no longer eligible for NHS funding for IVF (while I was before the operation) For all I know I was perfectly healthy before I had this operation. They also knew that my DH has low sperm count but instead of treating him they put me through this hell without any benefit.

I would suggest to think very carefully whether you really need this because the side effects (although rare) can be quite traumatic.

Do you have symptoms of endo?

I had one done years ago and had no problem at all. I was terrified of the surgery but it ended up being my easiest test I did.

The draw back was they found nothing.

However I'm unexplained and if I had not done it I would have wondered what if I just done that one last test...

It was an easy day surgery with a few daysof discomfort afterwards, but nothing to stop me walking about .. just not entirely upright! Worse bit was stiches in belly button kept weeping and it didn't heal properly until i had them taken out. All fine now though. I agree with Milty - if i didn't have it done i would have been wondering what if.....

Good Luck with your decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"