Experiences with NEC

Dinah93

Happy mum to two preemies
Reaction score
Our little girl was born at 28+0 a week ago, and on thursday was diagnosed with NEC. They've put her on antibiotics and stopped her feeds, has anyone else's preemie had this condition and did they just need the antibiotics or did it progress?

I don't have personal experience of NEC but I know some babies have had 10 days antibiotics and nil by mouth and the treatment was successful. When holly was in neonatal there was 2 other babies who had stoma's fitted due to NEC. One got his reversed at 35 week gestation to help weight gain and the other at a couple of weeks corrected. Both are doing well.

I hope your lo recovers quickly with antibiotics xx

hello one of my twins developed nec @ 29weeks they were born 27 +5 and had to have a stomia the surgery went well and he had it reversed @ 6months i hoped this helped

hello and welcome! My 27 weeker had NEC also. His poor stomach swelled up like a balloon and it took weeks and many, many tries before he could tolerate milk. He was also on antibiotics. I know NEC is scary but most babies heal from it without any surgery or anything intrusive *hugs*

Hi my son had NEC and was put on 10day antibotics and feeds were stopped. After this he was steadily introduced to breastmilk and his feeds grew in amount and he suffered no other problems from it. He is now a healthy 3yr old and the only remembrance of it was a slight intolerance to bananas when weaning (although he gets through tons of them now!) Hope this is some help in seeing that although needs to be taken seriously it doesn't always have serious outcomes xx

Thanks rt. Grace has just finished 10 days of antibiotics today, feeds were resumed yesterday. Now we just cross our fingers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->