External Cephalic Version.?.?.? ECV- help?!

sophiecouldwe

Reaction score
been for a scan today and baby is breech, we have been told that at this stage in the pregnancy time is running out for him to turn himself so i have been booked for an ECV on monday where the doctor is goin to externaly try and move him. if this doesnt work then i will have to have a c section which im a bit upset about becuase i was quite looking forward to the excitment of going into labour. i know that a c section is best in my case if ECV doesnt work but im a little disapointed.

has anyone had or heard about an ECV and if so how successful they are and does it hurt?!

only 3 in 100 babies at this stage are breech! ive got 1 of those little monkeys in my tum :dohh: i blame his stubornes on his dad! lol xxx

I reckon you've still got time to try and turn him. Try scrubbing floors etc. My son was breech at 36 weeks, he turned himself and stayed put. No harm in trying.

You should maybe do some research into ECV hun, i've heard good and bad stuff about it. Personally i wouldnt have one as i worry about the dangers for bubs.

On the bright side, if you do have it and it is successfull then thats good, you dont need to worry about a section but even if it doesnt work or you decide to decline it then a planned section is much better than an emergency section :)

personally i wont be having one if they ask as bubba can turn again and you could end up where you began but have a look around at the facts and see if anyone has had a successful on one here
get on a bouncy ball or get on all fours and do some stretches to see if that helps, but dont stress about it what will be will be!!!:)

I had an ECV and it worked. The consultant put ultrasound gel on my tummy and pushed top and bottom to spin baby around (had ultrasound first to check) It felt very rough, but didnt hurt. I was scared cause my Aunt told me it would hurt but she had hers very many years ago, so perhaps things had changed. They did a ctg after for about half an hour to make sure he was happy with the new position, he was and was born naturally 3 weeks later.

I'll let you know as I'm having mine tomorrow!

I don't hold out much hope that it's gonna work for me as I'm so far gone, but apparently they are only about 50% success rate..

Apparently any risks to the baby are so minimal it's not even really worth worrying about - both yourself and the baby are closely monitored before, during and after and it has to be done with emergency c-section facilities just in case something does happen, but the chances are extremely small.

Yeah, the baby does have a chance to turn back again but if they haven't turned the right way yet, it's not likely they're gonna turn back, is it? They "should" start to engage once they've been turned and stay put.

Hopefully I'll have some more info for you after tomorrow! xx

Mine was awful then my daughter went straight bk breach then 5 days later when headdown and i went into labour when she was born the cord was wrapped round her neck 3 times and she wasnt breathing they have to resuitate her ....i think it was due to all the movements from breach to head down to breach bk to headdown

my personal opinion i do not think the ECV is a good idea, The reason for this is because i had it done and did not think it was a very nice experience, i found it very painfull and it put a lot of stress on my little boy, The ECV was not successful in my case and im really glad that no harm come to my son!!!! as i did hear alot of bad things about what could happen 'even though the doctors was not the ones to tell me this' in the end he was born by c section witch was every successful,
As time had gone by my friend told me she was pregnant i was really happy for her and her partner, At this time they already had two very healthy kids 1 aged 7 and the other aged 5 with no difficulties throughout the whole pregnancies they where two very healthy babies,
With the third child every thing seemed to be going good to until she was 21weeks and realised that her baby was breech.
me and her had a word and i knew what the hospital was going to say, i begged with her if they asked her to have a ECV not to go ahead with it, as it was not a good experience with me and many others told her the same.
The day had came when it was time to go to the hospital to talk about her options what what they wanted to do as at this point she was 36weeks.
i will never forget it she come back from the hospital and hold me that the doctors had talked her round to having the ECV i know this was a bad idea but what could i say 'at the end of the day the doctors know what there talking about'
At 37weeks the day had came for her to go and have the ECV.
The ECV what not successful for her after going through 30minutes of discomfort and a lot of pain. She was then told that there was no other option other then to have a c section 'witch is was she asked for in the first place'
That night when getting home she was still in alot of pain and realised that there was no movement from the baby but just thought the baby was being lazy.
The next morning there still was no movement from the baby so she went back to the hospital to be told that her baby was not longer alive.
She know that this was down to the ECV but had no proof.
when her baby was born it was covered in bruises all down 1 side of the face, back of head and top of the shoulder,
She know this was from the force that they had put on her by trying to move the baby, the baby was bleeding for the nose and the ear.
This was from the pressure that they had put on the baby why trying to turn!!!!!
Ten weeks after having her beautiful baby girl the post mortem results had came back to tell them that her beautiful baby gilr would be hear if she never had the ECV!!!!!
SO TO ALL THEM CONSIDERING HAVING THIS DONE PLEAS SAY NO NO NO IF UR BABY IS BREECH AND WANTS TO SAY THAT WAY LET THEM THERE OBVIOUSLY COMFORTABLY!!!!!!!!!!!!
WE ALL NEED TO PUT A STOP TO THIS PROCEDURE!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AM6wDwTjmc

here's a video of an ECV being performed, might help to give you an idea of what they do xx

this forum post has helped me, I was aware of the dangers of an ECV but didnt know it could result in death, I did read it can distress the baby, the way I look at it is you wouldnt put pressure and squash a newborn when its born so why on earth would you an ECV be any different plus if the cords wrapped round a babies neck then I really see this as dangerous , as my baby is breech I have to have a presentation scan at 37 weeks and then get a c-section at 39 weeks, if Im asked if I want an ECV I will be saying no even though I get a funny feeling my midwife will be a bit miffed at me saying no to an ECV but at the end of the day its my baby, not hers and I wouldnt want to put a risk on a newborn like this.

you should talk to your healthcare professional for advice.

an ECV is performed in a hospital where a c-section is readily available if the baby gets distressed. i have never heard of it causing a baby's death (i'm not dismissing what the other poster said, just never heard of it before). and it's not the same as putting pressure on a newborn because the baby is protected by the fluid, sac, your muscles, flesh, skin, it's not like the pressure is directly on the baby which is why they are routinely performed.

i think anyone who is worried should speak to their consultant about any possible risks.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->