Extreme Fear of Pap Smears..... Advice?

WTTMommy

Mama to Rach
Reaction score
As sad as it is to admit it, I am extremely fearful of pap smear tests. My doctor tried to do one last month and I was nearly in tears, so she stopped. She tried several times after but due to my moaning and groaning, she said she would try again at the next appointment.

I go back next month and I honestly have no idea how I'm going to get through it. It felt like she was pushing the speculum against my flesh. I'm pretty sure my body sensed that I was nervous and clamped up during the test. But when I tried to relax myself and breath in and out, it was still just as painful. It was bad!

I wonder if I can just put it off for now :blush: or wait until my doc refers me to an OB to get it done.

Not being funny but you really are gunna have alot more painful things when you have LO. I had stitches after my 2nd daughters birth and because of problems i had to have a smear type examination 3days later that hurt like crazy but it had to be done for my sake

Not being funny but you really are gunna have alot more painful things when you have LO. I had stitches after my 2nd daughters birth and because of problems i had to have a smear type examination 3days later that hurt like crazy but it had to be done for my sake

That's what I keep telling myself especially now that I'm pregnant :blush: I'm such a wuss!

I felt the same as you, but had to have it done, and I put it off until after I had Seren, which I regretted because I had stitches and it just made it more uncomfortable, and made me more anxious about anything going on "down there"... I'd definately face the fear, and just go for it, it's over before you know it, and then you don't have to think about it again for a while :) x

Dont worry u will be fine just try and think of your little baby or something nice lol x

As much as I hate to say it... they really are much more uncomfortable when you're pregnant than they are when you're not :( Even in first trimester. I had one in May 08 and they still made me have one in the summer when I was pregnant :hissy:... but just had one today and it went really well, much better.

The speculum is always the most uncomfortable part of any "business" in that vicinity for me (like I got an IUD this morning and the speculum was the worst part by far!) I find when they run it under warm water so it's not freezing cold and use a lot of lubricant it isn't nearly as bad... still not the best, but you just have to remind yourself it's better to have the test done than not have it and be sorry later.

:hugs:

You know what, I had a terrible experience with one. My first one when I was 18. I almost passed out, it felt like he was scraping my cervix and I could hear it and it made me almost barf. So I didn't go for another one, I was terrified.

But I was pregnant and I had to have another one, and you know what...

IT WAS PAINLESS! It was honestly nothing at all. I have had another one since having Helena and again, fine.

I think you just gotta breathe and not tense up, and just try to relax, because really, it's nothing. :)

You will do great. :hugs: Its the first step in the a journey of all sorts of people looking at your va jay jay. It really does get easier.

You could try some relaxation breathing beforehand (and during) ... I find it hard to relax too, let's face it, there are more enjoyable activities in life! Try and think of the parts of it that make it hard for you ... is it the coldness of the speculum (if so, ask them to use the warm water tip above), would it be better if they gave you a moment to compose yourself before they started (I know often they just start and I often think if they'd given me a minute to just settle, it would be much easier), is it the dreaded "small talk" (or maybe the lack of it?).

Try and think how they could make it easier for you and tell them ... there must be lots of people who find these kind of things hard, and I'm sure they'll want to help you if they can. The more nervous you are, the worse it will be, because you'll tense up, meaning you'll feel everything more.

Good luck - and it's worth persevering because once it's over, it's done! :hug:

Oh dear they really are lots of fun aren't they. I learnt the hard way not to avoid them :dohh:

I went for my first one and swore never again, then had to have one when I went to see Doc re TTC and she discovered I needed a wee procedure. So I now will have to go for check ups every six months for a while yippee lucky old me, oops!

What about arranging something really nice for after like meeting with a friend and trying to concentrate on that?

x

Can you think of it as something that you have to do for your baby? Maybe that will give you a cause to rally around and take the focus and pressure off yourself?

Before i had Elliot, i was fine with smears and swabs etc. Now i'm not looking forward to my smear next week, this is just because last time i was being poked and prodded i had stitches down there that hurt so much i was on gas and air lol..... I will be trying to think of happy thing,s twiddling my toes and taking deep breaths!

They don't hurt if you relax, honestly. I've just got to get the birth out of my head!

keely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->