Eye dr is concerened :(

alparen

Mommy to a Princess
Reaction score
So Samantha had her weekly eye exam and the eye dr is going back wednesday to reevaluate her eyes. He is concerned over the left eye. Saying it stayed at a stage 2... Does anyone know what that means? I'll be going up wednesday to talk to him about whats going on and such.
Just wanted a little insight as to what it means. I don't know what a stage 2 is and where her progression should be. :shrug::shrug:

I found this on-line:

Stage and Clinical Findings

Stage 1 Demarcation line (line where the normal and abnormal vessels meet)

Stage 2 Intraretinal ridge (ridge that rises up from the retina as a result of the growth of the abnormal vessels)

Stage 3 Ridge with extraretinal fibrovascular proliferation (the ridge grows from the spread of the abnormal vessels and extends into the vitreous)

Stage 4 Subtotal retinal detachment (the partial detachment of the retina)

Stage 5 Total retinal detachment

https://www.tsbvi.edu/seehear/winter98/rop.htm

I hope everything turns out okay! :hugs:

Thanks I hope it goes well to. he was very pleased last week with her eyes and then a week later hes now concerned. :( poor munchkin. I'm hoping it goes well wednesday.

Stage 2 ROP is usually when they begin to worry, and because it can progress from Stage 2 to Stage 3 very quickly and it is why they are coming back so soon to recheck. Its a good thing they are on top of things. Stage 3 is when they will for sure do surgery (laser eye surgery) to stop the abnormal vessels from growing more or worse. Sometimes like in Lakai's case they may do surgery at Stage 2, if there has been no improvement or changes. Just to prevent it from progressing.

Lakai had the surgery, it was pretty straight forward. They intubate them, and they put them under usually. It's very quick. And then they have check up's outside of the NICU when they go home, ours was monthly, then every 3 months and then 6. And now we haven't been back yet. So far no glasses needed. Though some babies do require glasses for usually near sightedness.

Yup, Alex had Stage 2 ROP in both eyes and needed laser eye surgery. And omg, when they told me that was going to happen I cried. And I panicked on here. :dohh: I seriously had nothing to be worried about!!

So off we went back to neonatal at 5 weeks corrected. I spent the night in the ward with her and then they put her to sleep.

And I was a wreck......:dohh:

She was intubated again and that did give me a lil shock to see, because she was bigger now and it looked almost , odd?

Somebody should have really given me a slap because Alex came home the next day looking like nothing had ever happened :rofl: I felt so stupid when she came back into the room after her surgery. I dunno what I expected, maybe for her to come out with a batman mask, i dunno :shrug: :rofl: but nooooooo. I felt rather silly :)

What I mean to say though, is that if Samantha needs the laser eye surgery, don't worry, its really nothing. Alex has follow ups and her last one was a year ago, they just do eye tests with her and wave silly wands :rofl:

Oh god I hope it gets better and she doesn't have to have the surgery.... I read that being on oxygen can cause the vessels in the eyes to grow abnormally. so could it be because she ended up on low flow oxygen for a week? Or is it just one of those things that can happen quick like that?
I don't want my baby girl to be put to sleep :( I'll have a heart attack i swear.

Its one of those things hun, defo, and really really common for preemies.
I just found the quote on Alex's diary, i was totally petrified hun (put it this way i smoked a cig! :shock: ) just like you are saying but looking back there was so no need!!!!

alex is home again! She made a very very quick recovery and was discharged 24 hrs after the start of the op. She looks like it never happened. I feel so stupid for getting so worked up. There was a baby in the room that i heard wasnt going to make it. I just wished and prayed for a miracle. I dont know what happened after. However we are home and alex is snoozing, yet we do have check ups next week. X x x

Thanks so much hun. Makes me feel better reading this.
I don't know what Iwould do if there was no BnB. I've never talked to anyone at the hospital like other parents and such. I always see a bunch of them there hanging out together in the family room. It's nice to have a place to come and relate and talk.
:hugs: to all you ladies and a huge thanks

:hugs: wouldnt lie to you hun. I generally just want to help others in our shoes so i wouldnt butter anything up :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->