Failed cloth nappy wannabe...

littlequeenie

Reaction score
Hello -

Like many pregnant ladies I had some high standards - and found some hard to keep when the reality of a little baby hit home! I won't bore you with the list of all my failures! But I do have a happy healthy 5 month old to show for it, so something must be going right!

One of my regrets is around wearing cloth nappies. We came out of hospital in Pampers, swapped to cloths within a week and then the complete exhaustion hit home. And I moved back to Pampers. Been in them ever since.

Well, I am a little more sorted now. I am better prepared with what I bring out with me and find the challenges of changing him on the back seat of cars and in sinks a little less daunting. So, I think it is time I tried cloths again.

Have you experiences ladies got any advice for me or words of encouragement, because this is the week that is the week that I get cloths back on course.

Wish me luck!
ps - I have Popolini all-in-ones (a bit like Motherease I think)

GOOD LUCK!! My baby isn't born yet so no words of advice, just lots of encouragement!! Also many mums on here got into cloth late on so you've plenty of time... mebbe try it part time till you get used to it??

:hugs:

Cloth is wayyyyy easier than I imagined! My LO has been in cloth since birth but I have had babies around before so it wasnt so much of a suprise to my system :)
It takes a little time to get used to cloth 100% but once you figure out all the little things like exactly how long things take to dry, how many nappies you use a day, what the best night nappy is (or what to boost your nappy with to make it last) etc you definitely start to wonder why on earth everyone isnt using cloth!

Ach, you make it sound so easy. Perhaps I don't need to be 100% straight away...

No you don't, you can ease yourself into it! Thats what I did. We used disposables for the first ten weeks and then a mix as LO freaked out every time he had a wee in cloth and it took a bit of getting used to. All great now though!

I just started by using them when we were at home but we are in them 100% of the time now!!! I would never go back to pampers and have just had to find a holiday home with a washer for the summer cos there is no way my washable nappies aren't going with us. Good luck hun once you get your routine going you wont look back. I can even change him now while he's stood up and crusing round the furniture

Definitely don't let yourself get stressed about it! If you have a day where there are no cloth nappies clean, it doesn't matter if you use disposables for a day or two or even a week. Even using one cloth nappy saves on what goes to landfill and gives your LO some time with nice soft cloth on his bum. I think people stop using cloth (or never start) because they're too hard on themselves and think it has to be all or nothing - it doesn't! Good luck and enjoy!

Enjoy the fluff :) Dont beat yourself up about it, if you use disposables at night or only use one cloth nappy a day....do what works for you!

yep, I agree with the last few posters - do what works for you. we still use disposables at night and have no real plans to change to cloth for then. I did think about it for a while and he has worn cloth sometimes overnight, but I found his babygros didn't fasten over such a bulky nappy and I didn't want him in something that was otherwise way too big. plus for selfish reasons I didn't want him waking up because he felt wet and having to have the palaver of night changes (we've had very few night changes since he was 6 weeks+, only when he had the runs). we also use disposables when we're away from home. I see them as a convenience item, much like cartons of formula. the "all or nothing" attitude can be very unhelpful if people feel that they have to commit to it 100% or not at all. kudos to those who can/want to but it's not right for me. I love using cloth and I dislike disposables but I feel we have the right balance for our family. It's definitely a lot easier than it seems when you first start, but you get used to it and I don't find any of the nappy care to be a chore. on the contrary. :)

You know once you get used to fluff it's really quite easy. The important thing is to be ready for it IMO, cloth shouldn't be a chore but more of an enjoyment (as much as cloth can be, it's the shopping for mamma i think :haha:). It can be about finding the right nappy aswell to make your life as easy as possible especially when first starting out. Once you've mastered the basicis then you can move on to the more adventourous :laugh2:

Good luck!

I don't know about being adventurous! But I have changed a mucky one and a wet one already this morning and I'm feeling brave! And a little chuffed!

I don't know if I really get this fluff obsession that some of you have - I need to work on that! Although I am already thinking my wraps could be a little more exciting... Thanks for all the encouragement!

I don't know about being adventurous! But I have changed a mucky one and a wet one already this morning and I'm feeling brave! And a little chuffed!

I don't know if I really get this fluff obsession that some of you have - I need to work on that! Although I am already thinking my wraps could be a little more exciting... Thanks for all the encouragement!

it will come, all in good time :haha:

Go you!!! I said that I wouldn't get obsessed... I bought two starter packs of Mothercare Smart Nappies and a trial pack from my local council of various boring fitteds and wraps... six months later, I use none of the boring ones and am wondering what I can sell to fund fancy ones... be careful, be very careful!!!

Good Luck :thumbup:

I was also a late starter and eased into it experimenting with different types of fluff. But now I'm hooked and it's really not as scary as I thought it would be!

Enjoy

I spent time scoffing at the expensive pretty fluff.....now Im the maniac ordering fancy embroidered nappies left right and centre !!
The addiction creeps up on you....

Well, I went straight out and bought a complete set of one sort so that I would be well prepared. I didn't think shopping for nappies would be fun.

And I remember one of the reasons why the cloth failed to attract me in the early days. My little one had really bad reflux, and the cloth nappies lifted his bottom into the air when he was lying down so his reflux was worse. Thankfully he is growing out of that now, and just looks cute :o)

Now then... embroidered nappies....

I apologise in advance but have a look on here :)
https://weenotions.co.uk/

Squish thats naughty putting a temptation like that infront of her :tease: :rofl:

Appology NOT accepted. Site now added to favourites!

I think if I can last until the summer in the cream nappies and plain-ish wraps that I have in the drawer I might be allowed a little purchase of some more fashinable wraps... After all, he'll be a little bigger by the summer. And will be crawling around by then... I'm thinking BabyLegs and fleece wraps for picnics...

Help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->