Failed smear test

wanting2bemum

Reaction score
I had a smear test as recommended three months post partum which ‘failed due to either a lab error an insufficient amount of cells in the sample’ therefore I had another 6 months post partum and the same thing has happened. The nurse did mention that if the test fails three times that I would be sent for a colposcopy so that my cervix could be properly examined to see why the smear tests kept failing but she reassured me that it was rare for it to happen. Now that it’s happened a second time I’m panicking slightly as to what could be wrong. I have to have a third smear but not for another three months. I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced this and if so what the cause was? I am exclusively breast feeding and haven’t as of yet had a period post partum but I thought this was normal? I have tried searching on good old Google but nothing comes up.

Just for abit of reassurance, I work in the labs that process smears and we do get a fair few inadequates! There is probably nothing to worry about! The screeners must find so many cells in each quarter of the slide the sample is put on to pass it with a result, you have obviously boy had enough on the slide! The colposcopy is just to get a closer look instead of continuous smears and rule out that theres any abnormalities! Make sure you dont over clean before your next smear and see if that helps x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->