Family cloth

Mary Jo

Mummy to Adam and Joel
Reaction score
Anyone use family cloth? I'd really like to, but my husband would have a fit, I am 99.9% sure. Of course I could use it just myself, and on Adam (who already uses cloth wipes), when he graduates from nappies, and just stick it all in the nappy bucket. Wonder if I should keep a separate bucket, though, or if it's all the same?

never even heard of it til i just looked it up, i suppose it really is no different than using cloth wipes though is it! if its good enough for baby why not for us!

i use disposable everything though so dont think its right for me XD

it does make sense though x

MY first thought was 'GOOGLE?!?' LOL.

Then when I realised what it was I thought 'GO FOR IT!' :)

Its not something that appeals to me either but I guess you could give it a go?

eek i googled it and my immediate reaction was :shock: followed by :huh:

i couldn't do it! and i think liam would kill me if i ever introduced it :rofl: go for it though, nothing to lose i guess.x

I think its a fab idea and would concert but I know that despite DH's green intentions he would never ever do this and I can imagine the mickey taking from our 11 year old sons mates!

I can remember the horror from the pair of them discovering that the romans used to use communial "toilet" sponges at Chedworth Villa :dohh:

We don't use family cloth and probably won't (another hubby here that would be horrified, lol) but I hear that lots of people just throw it in the nappy pail and add their reuseable wipes to the family cloth stash once their kiddies PL :shrug:

I'm going to try to introduce "unpaper" towels first- my hubby is a paper-towel-aholic so it would definitely save us a bunch of money- not to mention the environment! :)

Good on you for considering family cloth though :thumbup:

i've considered it after we ran out of toilet roll once and ended up using washable wipes till the next day. It wasn't so bad as we rinsed them after use before sticking them in with the nappies. Not sure i would want to handle my OH's though, knowing him he'd use loads and not bother rinsing :sick:

we use washable wipes for the older boys' hands, faces etc

I've been thinking of it for quite a while now - and I'm not surprised that nobody here seems to be doing it - and I just think the price of loo roll is crazy! and we use far too much of it. and it just seems a bit bizarre to be squeamish about poo when I quite happily (well, not exactly happily but I willingly do it and I don't mind) rinse Adam's poo from his nappies with my bare hands every day. I actually think I could do it myself and OH would never know. I think he'd think I'd lost the plot if I told him. Would need to make or buy some more wipes though...

I'm strangely more squeamish at the idea of cloth sanpro, though it's all on the same sort of level, IMO.

I have cloth san pro but the family cloth idea never crossed my mind until i saw this! :dohh:

God I'd never thought about that! I have on occasion used a nappy prefold when I'd not realised there was no loo roll on the holder (grr oh!) until after I'd done my business. I think I'm quite a hypocrite as I wouldn't want to bung em in the wash like my lo nappies.

Its funny how we're happy to handle baby poop but not adult! hahaa

It is, really, especially when you consider, compared to the amount in a full nappy, the amount of poo or wee that would actually be left on the cloth. Practically nothing!

We are moving soon and I might consider doing this - only for number 1's though! Since I got pg I must have used several trees worth of toilet paper with my hourly trip to the loo with the baby on my bladder! I imagine the bathroom would stink if you used it for no 2's, especially after my hubby and that's not a bin I would want to empty! :sick:

You'd expect my nappy bin to stink, given some of Adam's shits, but it doesn't, only of ammonia and only with the lid off and only after a couple of days anyway!

i havent googled but i get the gist of what it is and i can safely say i couldnt do it :sick: i use wet wipes for myself and OH uses toilet rool so we do go through quite a bit of both but i certainly wouldnt want to be going anywhere near his poo, though i could do my own i suppose, still seems a bit rank, but good on you if you can, would save you a fortune :shock: x

It really is! I can talk about Bethan's nappy products with anyone who'll stop to listen, but if anyone else starts even hinting at anything going on tummywards, then I freak out! Such a hypocrite, really.

I was thinking about this the other day, funnily enough, and I really want to, but it's taking the plunge that I'll struggle with. It's the same as what others have said as well; I could probably mange with my own, but OH's stuff is just another ball game entirely...

When I first read it I was like.. what the heck is Family Cloth but have figured it out from other peoples reactions! :lol:
I wouldn't be able to do it, OH would be totally against it and even if I got him into it I know he wouldn't wash his own and it would turn to me to do it and I'm not willing to go near his poop, I mean, I sleep with that man, I don't want to see/ deal with his poop!
We use Earthcare loo paper which is recycled and free of chemicals which is as far as I'm willing to go.

My friends who do it use a peri bottle to wash off (like a bidet), and then just use cloth to pat dry. Cloth goes in a pail and is washed in the regular laundry.

Since no pee or poop even gets on the cloth, I don't see a big deal at all--even less of a big deal than washing cloth diapers/nappies in the washing machine, kwim? I've considered doing it myself.

I actually used Emma's cloth wipes just the other day when I realized the toilet roll was empty. Just after a #1 though. :haha: I could definitely do it for pee but never with poo. It actually felt quite nice using them. :blush: Her wipes are nice and soft. :D I've considered using cloth sanitary pads as well but I'm not sure I could do that either. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->