Family complete....contraception

c1403

Reaction score
Hi All

Not sure if this is the right place or not.

DH and I are both 31. Got two beautiful DDs and we are done. Our family is complete.
DH says he is adamant he won't change his mind. He has suggested a vasectomy but I'm not sure of that.

So, at the moment we aren't using contraception. Saw a Dr today about long term options as I forget my pill constantly and haven't taken in in months.

What are your experiences of....
-The injection (needed every three months, periods could stop/slow down, weight gain a side effect)
-The implant (every three years, hormonal, irregular periods common)
-Coil (lasts five years -non hormonal, periods as usual)

I have just started AF so know I'm not pregnant. I need to decide before I get caught out (both DDs were conceived at this time of year lol)

I've tried the pill & the coil and got pregnant on both, I found the coil moved and it was very uncomfortable.

I've been on the implant for 3 years after 2 miscarriages, and it's the best one i've had. I have no periods apart from light bleeding every so often. I'm due to have it out next month which I'm not looking forward to it. But i'd definitely recommend it.

I definitely would not recommend the coil. I had it before having kids, it was put in wrong and my body spent a month trying to push it out which was horrendously painful. I've also heard a lot of people seem to get pregnant on the coil so I don't think it even seems effective. Had the injection for a short while and didn't have any negative effects other than my periods didn't actually stop but instead I had a lot of breakthrough bleeding. Never had implant but my friend did and liked it.

If you're definitely done though personally I'd let hubby have the snip

I'm on my second coil (had the first removed to have another child) so it's been a few years now and it's the best contraception I've been on. No issues, no pain, no pregnancy! I don't want to use anything with hormones, the injection in particular concerned me long term. I like to have my periods too, I find it a gage to my health if that makes sense! We are done and starting to consider DH getting the snip (he would in a heartbeat). I'm about to start medication that I must not get pregnant on so I think we will take extra precautions as I always believe if you really can't risk getting pregnant use at least 2 types!

I've had the depo injections (every 3 months) and I bled constantly and turned into a psycho they made me do 3 courses of it to see if it would settle and it never did! So I now use the implant and by far the best contraception I've had I do get my periods as normal which I don't mind although I am envious of all you women who stop getting periods all together lol

Ive only ever had the implant- I had it in just over a year. It made me have no sex drive (great contraceptive in that sense- ha!) moody, headachey, and Id spot on it. I wouldn't get it again.

Mini Pill - tried this as I am not allowed the combined pill as blood clots run in my family. I found that my periods were lighter and shorter in length, before the pill my periods were painful and heavy they also lasted 8 days, with the pill they lasted about 5 days but only heavy for first 2 days with no cramps at all.

However I also forgot to take this and am on enough tablets right now and taking this at the same time every day was tricky...

Implant - in my arm when I was still on my bleeding from the birth of my Daughter this protected against pregnancy immediately because I was still on the blood, I thought I had found the answers to my prayers with this BUT the blood never stopped and I had a 3 month period, this works for some people and can even stop your period.. but it just made mine constant

Coil - I have the coil in right now, the copper one. I am not going to lie it was agony to go in and the cramps were quite bad after also, BUT you can request a general anesthetic to help with the pain this coil fitting usually takes 20 minutes and lasts for up to 10 years. My periods are normal and when taken out you can become pregnant immediately because there is no hormone in the copper one. You can go back to your GP 6 weeks later and get it checked to make sure its stayed in place.

Injection - I was on this a while and worked well, it was given every 12 weeks and it stopped my periods, though it can make other people bleed irregular, most I had was spotting, it can cause you to gain weight but I found that I ate responsibiliy and I didn't gain weight, the only thing is coming off... I come off as I wanted to try for another kid (though changed my mind) and it took over 9 months to get my periods back, it can take over 2 years to conceive after coming off the injection and can really mess with your body. I would not suggest this I would suggest the coil! x
One thing I would say is that after my second child was born Hubby wanted a third but I was adamant that I didn't want more and wanted to get my tubes tied however because of my age the GP would not allow it... that was 4 years ago and now I am so grateful that the GP said no because now we have decided to get the coil out in August and TTC for our last child

Best of luck :Hugs:

Mini Pill - tried this as I am not allowed the combined pill as blood clots run in my family. I found that my periods were lighter and shorter in length, before the pill my periods were painful and heavy they also lasted 8 days, with the pill they lasted about 5 days but only heavy for first 2 days with no cramps at all.

However I also forgot to take this and am on enough tablets right now and taking this at the same time every day was tricky...

Implant - in my arm when I was still on my bleeding from the birth of my Daughter this protected against pregnancy immediately because I was still on the blood, I thought I had found the answers to my prayers with this BUT the blood never stopped and I had a 3 month period, this works for some people and can even stop your period.. but it just made mine constant

Coil - I have the coil in right now, the copper one. I am not going to lie it was agony to go in and the cramps were quite bad after also, BUT you can request a general anesthetic to help with the pain this coil fitting usually takes 20 minutes and lasts for up to 10 years. My periods are normal and when taken out you can become pregnant immediately because there is no hormone in the copper one. You can go back to your GP 6 weeks later and get it checked to make sure its stayed in place.

Injection - I was on this a while and worked well, it was given every 12 weeks and it stopped my periods, though it can make other people bleed irregular, most I had was spotting, it can cause you to gain weight but I found that I ate responsibiliy and I didn't gain weight, the only thing is coming off... I come off as I wanted to try for another kid (though changed my mind) and it took over 9 months to get my periods back, it can take over 2 years to conceive after coming off the injection and can really mess with your body. I would not suggest this I would suggest the coil! x
One thing I would say is that after my second child was born Hubby wanted a third but I was adamant that I didn't want more and wanted to get my tubes tied however because of my age the GP would not allow it... that was 4 years ago and now I am so grateful that the GP said no because now we have decided to get the coil out in August and TTC for our last child

Best of luck :Hugs:

20 minutes for a coil fitting?? General anesthetic?? I've have it fitted twice now, it takes a couple of mins, 5 max, and yes there's a sharp pain as it goes in and some dull cramping afterwards but I would say if it's taking 20 minutes something has gone very wrong!

Hi Pearls https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/contraception-guide/Pages/iud-coil.aspx yes where I live it takes 15-20 minutes with nothing going wrong x

I find that so odd...why on earth would it take that long, maybe I'm a bit loose haha! I've had 2 fitted now and I would say the whole appointment took 20 mins, from discussing the fitting, getting undressed etc? I think I'd have passed out if the actual inserting of the coil took 20 mins! Feel a bit self conscious now haha, my second one didn't even hurt but I was 8 weeks post partum and wasn't fully closed apparently so put it down to that lol!!

I find that so odd...why on earth would it take that long, maybe I'm a bit loose haha! I've had 2 fitted now and I would say the whole appointment took 20 mins, from discussing the fitting, getting undressed etc? I think I'd have passed out if the actual inserting of the coil took 20 mins! Feel a bit self conscious now haha, my second one didn't even hurt but I was 8 weeks post partum and wasn't fully closed apparently so put it down to that lol!!

lol omg at the loose comment. I am terrified of getting it back in next time as i know it will hurt, the man who done my coil was showing a trainee maybe thats why it took so long? would be ideal if next time was only 5 minutes im terrified but it is simply the best contraception and once a decade is great!

The woman told me everything except that my heart rate and blood pressure might drop (which they did) I remember my heart beating so fast.. hot and clammy and I was shaking was horrible... guess because I didn't know... they hadn't pre warned me!

I've had the Mirena coil and hated it, considering the copper coil now. Otherwise it's condoms till another pregnancy or more likely, trying to get dh to get the snip. Tmi but we don't do it very much ATM with three small kids!

I love my Mirena coil - but I have endometriosis and I need my periods stopped.

I'm having a hysterectomy I hope (I'm on the list but we are emigrating this year)

I'm also on medication that shuts my ovaries down.

I have the implant - I have had it a year now and no complaints :nope: I had no AF for a year and then recently have had a very light lasted 2 days not even a liner worth :shrug:

Currently we use Spermacid. I have used the foam and the film. Been using it since DS was born 15 months ago. No pregnacy, no symptoms, WAY better than condoms IMHO.

I have the mirena coil. Only felt a pinch on fitting it a few weeks of feeling like my period might start and then nothing. No side effects no period.it's great

I've had the Mirena for the past few years except for ttc pregnancy obviously. It's for medical reasons but I've had no problems. The first time was pre baby and was a bit sore going in and cramps after but the actual insertion was pretty quick. The two I've had post baby have been easier as they told me your cervix never goes fully closed again after.

I had incredibly heavy periods that limited what I could do and apart from a few weeks of spotting after insertion I now don't have any periods. It really has been life changing in that respect.

I was on microgynan before, no problems except forgetting to take the pill

I had the implant put in around a month ago. Despite breastfeeding i have so far had a 12 day period followed by 6 days normal and now a period again. I feel robbed as that was always one of the pros of breadtfeeding for me wahhh.
The pill messed with my mental health but with the implant my mental health is perfect. I suppose i cant win them all will just have to deal with all this unneccesary bleeding which is a contraception in itself!

I decided to get my tubes tied during the c-section of my last baby. My surgeon was a gem and made sure to keep a good blood supply to my ovaries.

I have the implant - I have had it a year now and no complaints :nope: I had no AF for a year and then recently have had a very light lasted 2 days not even a liner worth :shrug:

Edit: after this I suddenly started a period on 28th February it stopped yesterday 13th March!!! NOT Happy!

EDIT: I am still bleeding heavily (21-03-2017) so I went to my GP yesterday and I am getting it removed on 4th April

Also pretty sure it is making me blue and moody

I am contemplating getting it removed and getting the mini pill again if anything tbh

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->