Family Law - Grandparents Rights

Kimmy25

Reaction score
Wonder if anyone knows anything about this..I have a few questions :flower:

I think the only way grandparents have a "right" to visit a child is if they have been a main caregiver for a period of the childs life. If they havent then I dont think they have a right.

This is my understanding but perhaps someone else on here has actually been through the process and can tell you more

From what I'm lead to believe any grandparent can apply for access, however it needs to be shown that the grandparent is an important part of the child's life and that it would "harm" the child to no longer see them.

Tbh I think gparents rights is a load of tosh! We as parents should decide!

Grandparents have no rights in the UK Hon ....

If they have been a significant part of the child's/children's lives (not necessarily as a main caregiver) then they can apply for permission to apply for access, but they would have to prove that they had a strong relationship and that the LO's would be being harmed by that contact now having been lost.

It's a two step process ....If they can show a previously strong, regular and consistent relationship, then they might (possibly) be granted the right to apply to the Family Court. Then it would be down to the Judge (and possibly Cafcass) to decide :thumbup:

Tattiesmum as your a grandparent I thought I would ask you.

As a grandparent if your child and their partner decided jointly to not have contact would you case it though the courts or respect that your child has come to a decision and that it's not your job to undermine their parenting and how they want to live their lives purely to make your self happy?

And I do mean a whole heartily both want to move away and have no contact for whatever reason not anyone bein forced to agree.

You don't hve to answer I respect that but I jut find it so weird some will put the family though hell in courts just so please themselfs.

My inlaws always bitch thy don't see the kids enough yet oh only gets 2hours aday after work which is sometimes 6day a week and on those weeks his 1 day of he just wants to sPend with us as a family

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->