Fast labour and home birth

Mandyblur

Mum of 3 soon to be 4!!!
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This will be our very last baby and after having 2 hospital births i would love my last to be a home birth.

I suffered severe post natal depression the second my daughter was born, so i'm trying to change everything about this birth to make it a completely different experience.

My only concern is that with both my children i had very fast posterior labours and i am petrified that a midwife wouldn't be able to get to me in time.

My husband would be happier for me to birth in hospital as his concerns are that a midwife wouldn't be able to get to me in time or that no midwife would be sent due to staff shortages.

Does anyone have any advice or guidance? Would i be safe to have a home birth with fast labours? What would i do if a midwife didn't get to me in time?

I really would love to help ease my husbands concerns so he can enjoy my labour as much as i plan to.

Thank you x

Some argue that planning a home birth is better for fast labours, bc there is virtually no risk that your baby will be born on the WAY to the hospital.

There is a possibility that your baby will arrive before the midwife. Remember that when birth happens FAST it is usually bc it is working so WELL! If you plan to stay home, you will be in a warm, safe place and the baby can be born without panic, or pressure or breaking local speed limits..... As long as you both have some basic knowledge, you can still feel safe. This piece is pretty good, very informative and reassuring - give it a read and get your OH to read it too :)

https://rebeccaawright.com/2012/01/...ed-or-what-do-you-do-when-birth-just-happens/

I have fast labours too and this is why I chose a home birth. My second baby was born at home unplanned. It was scary as we weren't prepared but it was an amazing experience and apparently you're far less likely to experience pnd after a home birth. I can really understand why because it's so relaxed and empowering.

My hospital is almost an hour away and the midwife would be coming from there too so there is a good chance I will give birth before arrival again. If it seems like that is going to happen I've been told to call an ambulance and they will be there much faster. It's also a very good idea to read up about what to do if your birth is unassisted.

https://www.homebirth.org.uk/fastlabour.htm
https://www.madeformums.com/labour-and-birth/coping-with-a-fast-labour/464.html

My midwife ( we have a comunity one, who lives down the road, were in a small town ect) almost huged me with happyness when I said, I think ill book a homebirth, Shes even stood up and told the consultants to back off, because there not happy about it! My bmi is 41, so they wants me in hospital, drips and epi lines and on my back! >.<

Anyways, when she talked to the head of midwiffery about my homebirth, she was asked my main reason for wanting a HB, midwife said, well her first labours regsterd at 3hrs 49mins, because the midwifes at the hospital dont no how long I WAS in labour, because I went in at 2cm, and had baby in this time... the hospital is an hr away, and im due newyears day. head of midwiffery then said, ok, well sounds like she would be safer at home. expecialy if shes going to labour that fast.

altho, the situations alittle diffrent between us. My midwife can get to mine, day or night, in 10 mins... I doubt ill give birth that quick, Im also to phone when contractions are 9-8 mins apart, to give more time for support to arrive from afar if needed. but thats it. I was just told, that if I birth before she gets here, to not cut or tie cord, relax, put baby on my chest, and cover ourselves with a walm blanket (not duvet) and wait for someone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->