Feeding Advice Needed. Not A Hungry Baby

Stef

Mummy to Olivia & PG #2
Reaction score
Olivia dosent seem to be a very hungry baby. She feeds regulary IE every 4 hours or so bt only once has she even woken wanting a feed. I actually have to wake her for feeds... She could quite happily go hours i'd imagine as when I wake her for feeds she dosent always seem very interested.

When she does feed its only 1-2 oz of milk... Usually around 1.5 oz, is this ok for her to be like this? The reason I question it is because the hospital MW said that she would probably take 3 oz but the MW who came yesterday said its ok for her only be taking 1-2 oz a time as long as it is every 4 hours.

I mean she's very content otherwise. She seems a very hapy little baby?

X

Perfectly normal :hugs:, my little boy was fed every 3-4hrs but would only take 1-2oz for the first few weeks.

Cx

This was the same for us - about 1oz sometimes more and we would wake her. MW actually suggested the teat 2 past a week poss 2 weeks old - If you do this I would say use avent teat 2 and not tommee closer to nature (only ones Ive used). In the first week she said their tummies are size of prunes and it needs to expand.

Thanks guys,

Im currently using the avent teat 1 but thinking of changing to teat 2 over the next few days.

I did use the tommee closer to nature bottles yesterday and didnt think much to the teat so have gone back to the avent bottles.

Just needed some reasurrance I guess. :)

X

its perfectly normal hun, dont worry about it. Kabe is now home and on bottles of express at times with Daddy, but he still only takes 2/3 oz at a time, he just wont have any more, HB said it's fine, he shouldnt be on more yet anyway. He was tube fed before 1/2 and 1/2 and only ate 1oz of milk from the bottle then and had 3oz through the tube, he uses the nature bottles but is easy with any, we like them becuase he wasnt breast fed from the start it made it easier when he came home to start

I've gone back to Tommee teat 1 and they are fine now - poss lazy sucker my MW said my HV even said I'd probably have had a nightmare BF with this being one reason and she wouldn't take to the breast at the start and then seemed lazy to feed after the week+ still but in the first couple of weeks she said this was to be expected then when I seen HV for first time and Caitlin was to be weighed she said before even putting her on the scales "just to let you know its not uncommon for her to be below her birth weight". When I changed teats her feeds gradually went up now shes on 3 sometimes a bit over (had the odd 4)!

Oh I was told to maybe try 2 things whist she was like that 1) wake every 3 hrs 2) feed on demand and see if she takes more

Just some info on the teats

Avent teat 1 says 1mnth plus
Tommee teat 2 says 3mnth plus
Silly really isn't it! but the teat 2 on the Tommee wasn't a bad buy as we will defo use em in the end and they have become more easy/comfortable to use now! (So avent teat 2 & Tommee teat 1 we use gaain after she got use to sucking/feeding but defo the avent until that point - for us personally that is)

Hun Ellie was a lazy feeder (now she can't get enough) and wouldn't wake for feeds!!

Don't worry they will let you know when they hungry!!

Enjoy the peice ellie now demanding 6oz bottles every 3hrs (After also being fed solids) - she gets called brusier!! (just thankful she sleeps thru!)

Let her take it at her own pace, just seems to me she likes sleep lol!!!

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->