Feeding going so well but 2 day old now bringing up yellow sick

Kay0102

Reaction score
Can anyone help I'm slightly worried
I mentioned to the midwife the little bit of yellow sick he brought up 2 hrs after night feed last night and there was no concern however since today has gone on he seems to be bringing a bit more up and more often and his poo has gone from.almost black to green (not the yellow she mentioned would happen when my milk came in)
What am i doing wrong :-( do I need to be worried. He is fine in himself (well sleeps a lot but jas since birth just 2 days ago x

From what I remember (was only 12 weeks ago and now I'm struggling to remember lol) think dd brought up quite a bit of mucous a couple of days after the birth and the poos were same as your LO...went from black to green... and eventually yellow after a few days..

Please don't worry. Firstly the black meconium poo cannot all come out at once so it changes gradually to yellow. It only becomes yellow on day 4-5 usually. Sometimes babies will get rid of all the meconium before your milk comes in but even then the poo will not be yellow because the yellow colour of the poo comes from 'proper' breastmilk mixed with bile from the liver, colostrum without any meconium mixed in will make a light brown purely liquid poo. Also yellow sick, colostrum is usually yellowish so that's why in the first few days they have yellow sick and depending on how much colostrum you have, there can be quite a large amount. Please don't worry xx

My ds1 had lots of mucous and would cough it up all the time, and would throw it up if it filled his tiny tummy. Also you could be making lots of colostrum, your milk is not likely to be in yet, but soon. Either way, unless your baby is in visible distress, try not to worry!

Green is perfectly normal in the transition to those lovely yellow poops :)

Thank you so much for your reassurances ladies. I think my milk is coming in his sick is changing colourbut its still happening after every feed. I am also having to wind him as he burps which is usually when the sick happens. I'm really trying with latch but he still seems to be swallowing air but what is causing sick x

My son did this too. So frustrating! I would literally burp him every 5 minutes or so to try and prevent it.

Sadly I just have happy pukers, ds1 was and this guy is 4 months and still is sick after almost every feed.

I hope it doesn't continue for you, but if it does I would be on the lookout for signs of reflux and keeping track of baby's weight to make sure he is gaining. But from the sounds of it, it seems normal.

Eta The muscles that close the stomach (hiatal sphincter I think) from the esophagus are immature and when the stomach gets full, air and contents can easily escape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->