feeding help please!!

3 girlies

Reaction score
Sydnee is on aptimil & its making her windy & she screams in pain. Theres nothing i can do to help her or stop her crying & its so draining :cry:. We have had no sleep for days now. She burps easily after each feed so i know its nothing i'm doing wrong. My health visitor said that because she is slowly gaining weight shes fine. Is it normal for early babies to be like this & should i just leave her on the aptimil & hope it gets better?

also they have said she is allowed 12.5oz in 24 hours & i can't give her more if she wants it because i will be overfeeding her. She doesnt feed every few hours, she mainly has little & often & it adds up to more than 12.5oz, i just assumed they drink what they need!! :shrug: She's my 3rd baby & i feel stupid because i dont know what to do :nope:

Are you sure its wind? Could she possibly have reflux (silent even? where nothing actually comes out of her mouth, but it still travels up the throat causing pain and discomfort)? I just ask because a lot of preemies struggle with reflux for some reason.

If its wind, have you tried infant massage? If you search Google there are lots of tips on what type of massage to use for wind and gas.

Also what about switching her formula?

i was going to switch her formula but dont know which one is best to try next?

shes really dribbly when she cries, thick & clear dribble!! she has choked & gagged on it, the midwife said to just wind her.

i feel like you are just left to get on with it, my health visitor doesnt seem to care at all.

Ugh that really sucks you feel that way. I felt the opposite when we came home, we had to basically ignore calls because they wanted to come over SOO much.

I would try a wind reducing formula, I am not sure what brands you have in the UK as Im in Canada (any other UK preemie moms reading this can you please jump in?).

If shes choking and spitting up I really have to wonder if its not reflux! Like I said before its very common in preemies. Do you keep her upright after feeds? You may want to try feeding her bottle to her with her in a more upright position, almost sitting with you supporting her head. This may help if she has reflux and keep her upright for at least 10 mins afterwards. See if that helps..if it does, I would say almost 100% you are dealing with reflux.

Another opition could be allergies to the formula, as a last resort I would see if a soya formula would help. But I would try this last.

sounds like reflux hun, Matthew had that - clear and watery its acid coming up her throat, there are a few threads lately about this with advice how to ease this, try infacol or something similar in her milk, maybe pop to GP who can prescribe gavisgon or ranitadine. Hope she soon grows out of it xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->