Feeding in public

halullat

Reaction score
I'm terrified of it and don't know what to do, I just can't bring myself to try and am really worried I will be asked to stop. I've bought a cover but still get too nervous so end up taking a bottle out but he hates his bottle and often won't be happy with it and then will cry so I hurry home to feed him, meaning I can barely leave my house for any time.

How have other people overcome this? x

Two top trick!

Get a bunch of vest tops from primark and wear these under your clothes.

Before picking up baby, get your boob out over your bra and vest top whilst keeping your main top over your exposed breast.

Position baby in the correct place cradled in your arm and then gradually pull up your main top. As soon as your nipple is exposed push baby into breast to latch and rest main top on their nose.

You'll have your tummy covered by vest top and boob covered by your main top.

I hope that makes sense I feel like I've waffled!

Two tops here too. Works great :D

Also after a few times of feeding in public you honestly won't bother.

I was so nervous the first few times but once you realise people don't even notice you get more comfortable with it.

Good luck you'll be fine :flower:

Thank you! It sounds very clear to me, I may have to Venture into Kingston to get some tops. I'e also just read that it illegal here in the UK to be asked to leave for breastfeeding so hopefully that will make me feel a bit more able x

The two tops work really well. I wish I had realise that from the start as I used to put a big blanket over me which was quite difficult to keep on. Pulling one top up and one top down is great for discreet feeding in public.

The two tops work really well. I wish I had realise that from the start as I used to put a big blanket over me which was quite difficult to keep on. Pulling one top up and one top down is great for discreet feeding in public.

I want to try this, but not sure what to do about a bra? (DDs here...)

I'm a DD as well and pulling the bra down with the bottom shirt works fine! Kind of warps your bra after some time though. :haha:

I was super nervous about breastfeeding in public at first as well, I overcame it by just saying "Screw it" and doing it. After the first time when no one batted an eye I was immediately much more comfortable. I started out using a cover and by the time my LO was 4-5 months I ditched it. I really do think it actually calls more attention to what you're doing than just showing a tiny bit of breast does.

You'll be a pro and won't worry about it at all once you do it a few times. :)

2 tops here! Works fantastically and actually draws less attention than a cover, a cover people know what you're doing, with the 2 top trick they don't! Just make sure the vest top uou wear underneath is stretchy.
I'm also a E, and I unclog my bra and pull it down with the top underneath and have no problem.
My son likes to eat a lot during the day as he sleeps quite well at night so I had to get over it pretty quickly. I wrote my list of unusual places the other day in a different post, but can add a bench in the park next to a lake and the floor of soft play to my list! Lol! You really will get used to it after a few times.
If it helps I used a cover (large muslin) at first but my lo didn't like it and pulled it off (flung his arms about) and exposed me to the whole place! Thankfully no-one noticed, I'm actually more covered with the 2 too trick than that!

Also remember the more people that do it the more normal it will become!

Becki x

Two tops here. I honestly think 99% of people don't notice I'm BFing.

Do you go to any baby groups? They are great places to practice NIP. As no ones going to bat an eyelid but you're away from the comfort of home.

A nice middle ground to get started.

Also, places like mothercare, John Lewis etc have feeding areas.

I don't use them anymore as they're often in the changing area. But when I was more self conscious they were a life saver.

Kingston-upon-Thames? It's very 'yummy mummy' around there so you'll be fine! I've seen loads of mums BF in Kingston :) You might not have noticed if you haven't been looking yourself.

Practising at home in front of the mirror should help - once baby is latched, unless you actually take your top off there's really very little to see.

If you'd rather be somewhere private, ring ahead and find out if there are any feeding rooms in baby shops, or if you venture a bit further afield the Westfield shopping centre has the most amazing baby room I've ever seen :D

Two tops tricks is a must. I have to say I'm far more concerned about my tummy being on display than my boobs.

I've never had any proper remarks made. Once thing that helps is developing an "I don't care what you think face". Might not be what you feel, but if you look confident and like you won't take any crap then people tend not to give you any.

Another one...if you are nursing on a bench put your pram in front of you and put the hood up.... creates a wall to nurse behind.

Thank you all so much for your advice! I think I'll have to invest in some new tops!

It is indeed Kingston-Upon-Thames, I bet I've been in the presence of many nursing women then and just never noticed, which is reassuring!

Yeah my G cups are too small for me since giving birth so I struggle to feed discreetly and am really paranoid about exposing myself, and I also feel very self-conscious about my stomach so the two tops should help with that too.

I haven't really seen any baby groups locally which is a shame as I would really like to join one, but may make sure I feed him at the clinic after getting him weighed to try to acclimatise to bfing in public.

Thanks again, your advice has been invaluable xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->