Feeding: is 5 - 6 hours too long to go for a 2 week old?

Ninagrrl

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm just talking about 1 feeding at night. The back story is I've had trouble breast feeding because I am large busted with large flat nipples and her head actually measures small and so her mouth is slightly small as well. I'm trying to do a combination of BFing and pumping for bottle feeds but it's mostly bottle feeding as of right now until she grows a little bigger. Been going to BFing support group every week though.

So anyway, she is waking on her own every 2 and a half to 3 hours for a feeding and in the last week has gone from 2 oz gradually up to 3 oz as of today. But there is one feeding at night that she sleeps through that goes for 5 - 6 hours and I keep getting told that is too long for her to go. She doesn't miss any other feedings and is starting to become like clock work. As far as diapers go she has about 3 - 4 BM and 6 - 8 wet. Her weight at 2 weeks is hovering within an oz of birth weight.

She seems satisfied with this schedule and I'm hoping that she sticks with it because I am enjoying the longer stretch to sleep. Why does everyone keep telling me not to let her sleep through this feeding?

My little girl has gone a few 5 hour stretches without feeding. Our pediatrician said that it is okay for her to go one 5 hour stretch in a 24 hour period.

My pediatrician told me that it was only important to wake your baby to feed during their first week. I would imagine that if she has enough poop/pee diapers than she is getting enough. I would enjoy you sleep!

My LO has gone 5 hours on a few occasions. Especially when she's cluster fed for half the day before it. She hasn't been weighed yet since the first week (where she was already at birth weight) but judging by her behavior and amount of wet/dirty diapers I'd say everything is fine. But I guess we won't know for sure until she gets weighed!

Its fine as long as lo is not loosing weight and is having plenty wet and dirty nappies.

My MW suggested waking if baby gets to 4 hours until 2 weeks, she said this was more to do with establishing supply than the baby though. If I was happy with supply and weight gain etc I would just enjoy the break!

Well, with pumping I am producing 4 oz every 2 - 3 hours and she only drinks 2 and a half to 3 oz and when I get a successful latch she makes my milk production go up to 5 oz for a few sessions because I pump even when she does latch good and feed. Supply isn't an issue right now.

My Lo has gone a 5 hour stretch after a huge cluster feeding marathon. I assumed I would be awake to wake him up as my first son normally gets up around the time he was due a feed, but he slept later that day. I woke him up last night to my peril. He didn't go back to sleep all night. My instinct tells me to leave him so that's what I'm going to do. Btw he is full term and has no medical problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->